Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dice Roller
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

I've played a couple of times the tutorial. In one of my sessions, my Engineer got only 1 health point left, in a zone shared with Swarmers. The medic was one zone away, and used one action to move into the same zone as the engineer and the swarmers.

The medic then used his second action to do his one-time ability, which restores 1D6 health to "every survivor on the same zone".

This saved my Engineer, and after reading the rules, it's perfectly legit.

But I find it a bit non-thematic: how could the medic heal so well one of his fellows, while in the middle of a desperate battle?

I thought to myself, this should be restricted to zones where there is no ennemies (like searching a room for instance).

First, I'd like to know your thoughts on this. Second, I'm wondering if this shouldn't be a general rule: Character's abilities can only be used when in a zone without enemies.

Not sure about this, but I think we could benefit from a clarification on this.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
sukria wrote:
Hi,

I've played a couple of times the tutorial. In one of my sessions, my Engineer got only 1 health point left, in a zone shared with Swarmers. The medic was one zone away, and used one action to move into the same zone as the engineer and the swarmers.

The medic then used his second action to do his one-time ability, which restores 1D6 health to "every survivor on the same zone".

This saved my Engineer, and after reading the rules, it's perfectly legit.

But I find it a bit non-thematic: how could the medic heal so well one of his fellows, while in the middle of a desperate battle?

I thought to myself, this should be restricted to zones where there is no ennemies (like searching a room for instance).

First, I'd like to know your thoughts on this.

There aren't many tactical action games that disallow characters using their powers in battle. It may be unrealistic but it's a feature of gaming that wizards cast spells, tricksters set traps, clerics pray and medics heal even in the midst of melee. At most, rules systems penalise you for attempting these things if you actually get hit and wounded while using your power.

And the ability you cite is the Medic's one-off crisis power - his special trick involving future tech gizmos and beyond bleeding edge skill sets.

On top of that, EtS zones seem to be rather abstract areas. You're considered to be in line of sight if any part of your zone is visible - not necessarily the part that your miniature occupies. Being in a zone with monsters doesn't seem to imply that the monsters are next to you or even near you. This seems to be the rationale behind the Resolve Check to leave a zone that contains enemies - a failed check means they're too close or they're between you and the exit - since the precise placement of miniatures is irrelevant.

sukria wrote:
Second, I'm wondering if this shouldn't be a general rule: Character's abilities can only be used when in a zone without enemies.

That would involve rescaling the gane in a big way. And would that apply to the Marine or just to the techie classes? If you're going to restrict when and where they can use their powers, I think you'd have to boost the effect of their powers to compensate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Roller
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, that makes sense. Seeing the zones this way makes it maybe more realistic.

I'll live with it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... but only if the medic is close by...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Roller
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Loig wrote:
... but only if the medic is close by...

HAHAHA ! Indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.