Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Horneber
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
Y U NO PLAY BIBLIOS??
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to post a text along the lines of https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/07/07 (strong language ahead), but then I thought better of it.

To sum up, I like your game, but it is very hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think it's too much of a challenge, the game itself is inbuilt with a multitude of means to fine-tune the difficulty/challenge. There is no shame in using the provided variants to make game challenge level more to your liking.

We are, however, firmly saying that co-op game that would be winnable every time would not be fun, challenging nor sales hit. Thus, we opted to select default level so that it takes some skills, a bit of luck and an amount of experience to complete the harder scenarios.

The first three should be relatively easy, but then you'll find some real challenges, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jalmari Ruokojärvi
Finland
flag msg tools
... staring straight into your soul.
badge
Whoah! I didn't expect to see that! Shame on you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard it is, even on the default rule set. Occasionally you might need some bullheaded gamer mentality. Or if you've got it, hacker mentality might be even better. But in the essence, playing Perdition's Mouth is pretty much like playing Dark Souls. You try the wrong approach, and the game casually slaps you to the kindom come. Find the right (or at least right enough) approach, exploit your bag of tricks, and even the most daunting of enemies yield in the end.

Consider using the variant rules if necessary for the best possible time. Or alternatively, try to find synergy in the your party compositions and assemble bags of tricks that works the scenario and your strategy. Here's a few tips and ideas which you are free to read. I've marked them as spoilers for figuring things out on your own is part of the fun:

-Avoiding enemies completely since the best fight is a fight you don't have to fight at all. E.g.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Simma's Banish, Rod of Banishing, and Olazabal's Stone Wall are your friends. Defending Bastian works too, in a pinch. Make the buggers run circles or close them in for good. High AP heroes and smaller parties work better with this approach.

-If you can't avoid the fight, at least balance the skill card consumption so that only one well protected or at least supported hero has to rest at a given time. That, and also choose spawn composition and positions which allow you to face the enemies in manageable portions and steady trickle. The every beginner's "easy and far, easy and far, easy and far, ungentle typhoon of feces" spawning approach gets you only so far.

-Fight dirty and get creative whenever possible. There is no "dungeon master" on the opposite side of the table to throw stuff at you!
E.g. Summoners are right bastards in the open, am I right?
What if you'd fight in a space that's the exact opposite of an open area?
Enemies next to a body of water?
Read the water's terrain failure event rule like the devil reads the bible. Ideas?
Tough enemy with multiple hit points?
Put them between a rock and a hard place with Bash, and refer to the terrain failure event rules again.
And have noticed how Bastian defends reaaally well and how
Elisa's Fireball can be casted on "a figure"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jalmari Ruokojärvi
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers, Thomas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Horneber
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
Y U NO PLAY BIBLIOS??
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to make it clear - I really enjoy the difficulty and think the base rules are very nicely balanced, difficulty wise. This was a tongue-in-cheek appreciation post. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jalmari Ruokojärvi
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it! And just to make it clear, I like to demonstrate my ability to write faster than I can think. This is especially true when I'm dead tired.

Anyways, there's a self-help post for the people who might be checking the thread and not having such a good time with the "thinking gamer's dungeon crawl". Heh... And to be frank, the post I wrote almost came out as a reflex. I've tutored literally hundreds of people to play Perdition's Mouth over last two years. For every person I've wittnessed to immmediately embrace the gameplay that expects something of the player, I've seen a person staring at the game thinking silently whether it was the game that sucks or if they just played like a doofus. Admittedly, this time it was the tutor who was the doofus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.