Subject: Do Torpedo Hits Reduce a Ship's Protection Factor? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich
United States
Northern VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My war gaming bud and I have pulled this out of storage a couple of times in the past year and we recently had a disagreement on the "Sinking Capital Ships" advanced game rule.

I think the issue boils down to whether torpedo hits reduce a ship's protection factor or not so I'll use the following example.

British ship Agincourt has a Protection Factor of 8 and 14 hit boxes.

1. We agree that if the Agincourt takes 8 gun fire hits in one fire turn it is sunk.
2. We agree that if cumulatively the Agincourt takes 22 gun fire hits (assuming no more than 7 in a single turn) it is sunk as gun fire hits beyond the 14 hit boxes count as torpedo hits.
3. Our disagreement comes if the Agincourt takes 3 torpedo hits from a destroyer. For sake of argument assume no gun fire damage at this point.
- Do the torpedo hits reduce the Agincourt's protection factor from 8 to 5 thereby reducing the gun fire hits required to sink it in a future single turn to 5? (My bud's reading of the rule)
- Or do the torpedo hits merely start the count of cumulative torpedo hits toward the 8 eventually needed to sink the Agincourt, leaving its protection factor at 8? (My reading of the rule)
- As a follow on question, does the answer change if all of the Agincourt's hit boxes are filled and some or all of the torpedo hits in question result from excess gun fire hits?

Thanks for any help from anyone with experience in this oldie but goodie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe your reading of the rule is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Northern VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David and Brian - Thank you both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.