Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fox Clan Daimyo has just been posted as a Stretch Goal Exclusive, with other minis and clan game equipment to follow. No new rules will be necessary to play it. The clan color is orange.

So in a surprise move, rather than an add-on that must be purchased seperatly (as the Fifth Player Expansion was for Blood Rage), this will be included in Pledge Sets!

Nice.

Controversy?

Its hard to believe it won't be offered later for retail customers, though. If not, its a pretty strong incentive to pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things surprised me about the news:

1. That it was a stretch goal rather than add on (there are several things that feel un-CMON like in this campaign)

2. That it's a KS exclusive. It seems to be a big addition to the game and didn't expect something like that to be exclusive to backers.

Either way, happy to see the official word on a 6th clan / player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But didn't BR have the Wild Boar has an Exclusive and 5th player Add-on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Fleming
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming there will be a seventh add-on clan that will not be KS exclusive, which will be used as the 6th player expansion for retail. Fingers crossed that the exclusive tokens will be included in a base pledge so that we don't have to make the choice of getting the clan now or getting it later with cardboard bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very nice, and a good change from previous CMoN Kickstarters where things that were component upgrades (like cardboard to plastic) or additional player materials were add-on purchases. I'm kind of hoping that they won't do add-ons for this game, or if they do they keep them to a minimum. How many did they have for Blood Rage? Was it just the fifth player expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arachnode wrote:
Two things surprised me about the news:

1. That it was a stretch goal rather than add on (there are several things that feel un-CMON like in this campaign)

2. That it's a KS exclusive. It seems to be a big addition to the game and didn't expect something like that to be exclusive to backers.

I fully expected an add-on too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yea, I am pretty surprised that this isn't an add-on but rather a stretch goal.

Though it would be kinda awkward if for whatever reason we can't make it to get the whole clan including, figurines unlocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pkreynolds wrote:
This is very nice, and a good change from previous CMoN Kickstarters where things that were component upgrades (like cardboard to plastic) or additional player materials were add-on purchases. I'm kind of hoping that they won't do add-ons for this game, or if they do they keep them to a minimum. How many did they have for Blood Rage? Was it just the fifth player expansion?

There was an artbook and the 5th player expansion for blood rage as addon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pkreynolds wrote:
I'm kind of hoping that they won't do add-ons for this game, or if they do they keep them to a minimum.

Do you really expect CMON to give up their successful business model?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wagner
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they will offer 2 additional clans as add-on purchases that will also be available post KS. However if you want all of the KS upgrades for those extra clans plan on buying them during the KS, or be out of luck.

CMON wants to maximize the pledges and this free exclusive clan as well as 2 additional add-ons for extra $$ that will only be upgraded during the KS, sounds like a fantastic marketing advantage.

They are getting my money for sure and am happy to pay to get the 8 clans I see coming. But a nice touch that one of them is free for KS. I call it a win-win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Stangier
Germany
Offenbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually Blood Rage did have the kickstarter exclusive Wildboar Clan as a free stretch goal. It just wasn't a 5 player expansion because you need additional material on top of the clan to turn Blood rage into a 5 player game.
As no additional material is needed in Rising Sun, the Fox Clan is the equivalent of the Wildboar Clan.

What I find interesting is that the Fox Clan gets 11 counter bases while each of the base game clans only gets 8. Mhh, what might be the reason for this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Its hard to believe it won't be offered later for retail customers, though. If not, its a pretty strong incentive to pledge.

VERY strong incentive to pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:

Controversy?

Maybe the KS strategy with this game is to make the exclusives so tempting that they will bring backers in at the same rate as add-ons have in their past campaigns. Wouldn't that be nice? An all-in pledge for $100 with nothing more to buy?

I skipped the fifth player add-on for Blood Rage because I thought it was kind of silly that you got all of the components for a fifth clan in the KS pledge except the extra Age cards. Since the clans are all identical in that game (except for name, color and sculpts) it seemed kind of silly that they wouldn't include a full exclusive fifth player bundle for backers. Seems like they really are learning and making smart moves with this campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Fleming,

Good point.
I wasn't a big fan of the extra Ram clan that couldn't be added in except as a substitute for another in Blood Rage. But since in Rising Sun each clan has its own special ability, that will not be the case with a 7th Clan! Each different mix of clans used to a maximum of six will provide a slightly different game, which I'm in favor of!

And it will make me more interested in buying additional clans, which technically could be made by CMON anytime after the game is published...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe B
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Odd that it seems to be:

- Just the daimyo

- The same color as the Bonsai Clan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the game provide the tools to use this as a sixth player faction?

If not, it would appear to be bloat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bewulf wrote:
What I find interesting is that the Fox Clan gets 11 counter bases while each of the base game clans only gets 8. Mhh, what might be the reason for this?

Either the 8 bases for the other clans is a typo or Fox clan has more units, which seems potentially game breaking along with their ability, which if I read it correctly lets them put a unit into both contested and uncontested provinces during the war stage. This seems incredibly powerful; perhaps Fox clan will come with a requirement that they only appear in games with a full six players (to guarantee that the board will be as populated as possible when the war phases come around).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:

If not, it's bloat.

It does. Well, at least it will once this set of stretch goals is unlocked. They stated in the update that everything needed to play with six will be included, so no bloat like the KS exclusive fifth Blood Rage clan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pkreynolds wrote:
MrMT wrote:

If not, it's bloat.

It does.

Does it?

So, to be clear, the core ks product here contains everything you need for a six player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:

From the KS update:

Yes, once the Fox Clan is completely unlocked, backers will be able to play Rising Sun with up to 6 players at the same time. No other materials are necessary, and there are no changes to the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yasaka yoshiaki
Japan
flag msg tools
The map is color coded in 8 areas.
I think there is a possibility that the seventh and the eighth forces are going down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
cromatoast wrote:
Odd that it seems to be:

- Just the daimyo

The other figures will come later. And it's not exactly the same color, it's more orangey? It would be nice if it were a little more distinct though.

MrMT wrote:

It does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The other products for the clan are the next stretch goal and the other figures will be SGs down the line.

The Fox clan is Orange and the Bonsai is yellow.

cromatoast wrote:
Odd that it seems to be:

- Just the daimyo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor Mancha wrote:
MrMT wrote:

From the KS update:

Yes, once the Fox Clan is completely unlocked, backers will be able to play Rising Sun with up to 6 players at the same time. No other materials are necessary, and there are no changes to the rules.

OK, that is a significant difference from the way Blood Rage was handled, and most welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Stangier
Germany
Offenbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pkreynolds wrote:
Bewulf wrote:

Either the 8 bases for the other clans is a typo or Fox clan has more units, which seems potentially game breaking along with their ability, which if I read it correctly lets them put a unit into both contested and uncontested provinces during the war stage. This seems incredibly powerful; perhaps Fox clan will come with a requirement that they only appear in games with a full six players (to guarantee that the board will be as populated as possible when the war phases come around).

It can't be for their special ability as that summons Bushis (you can barely make out the text: "Wily Presence: At the start of each Battle(?), summon a Bushi in that province if you have no Force(?) there.") and those do not get counter bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.