SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: First Win Help Please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Newsman 77
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello Fellow Captains,

Could use a little advice here. I just won my first game of Seafall. Due to time constraints, we're only on our 2nd game. I was curious as to what I should take as my first reward as I did not get to keep my advisor. I have the "blue" providence and my leader has "The Prosperous" appellation. One of my opponent's already took Vengeful.

I'm thinking I should replace Prosperous with Adventerous appellation as my leader also has the +2 research cards (we haven't gotten to these yet)or grab The Wise. However the field upgrade also looks really useful as well.

On my first ship upgrade, I went with Sails to my big slow ship. Looks like speed might be a necessity.

What do you think is my best move here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
depends on your strategy:

merchant - fields
raids - reputation
explore - luck
milestones - whatever you need to fullfill them quickly in the next game

I wouldn't oversticker your name addon first, especially as you don't profit from it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most players should take a field upgrade first. Move 2->6. This means you start with 10 Gold and can build/upgrade turn 1. This flexibility is really good and I couldn't imagine not starting with at least 10 Gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Neppel
msg tools
mb
Agree with other posters, definitely don't replace your appellation yet. You've not played long enough to see how useful it might be. I would play a few more games before seriously considering replacing it.

I also play the blue province, but my starting bonus was the field upgrade, so I sorely missed not having an appellation. The field upgrade is nice though, as your first win I would go with that. Cover up the field with a 1-plunder value. That makes it really unappetizing to raid your fields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree; no matter what strategy you're going with, upgrading a field is probably the way to go for your first upgrade. It seems like a small bump, but it's worth it.

I personally wouldn't change my appellation unless I had nothing better to do with the game win bonus. The goals for any single game change so often that having a particular appellation in one game might be great and then the next game it might be useless. Extra gold from fields (or extra reputation/fortune tokens at the start) will always be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my first campaign I won a lot. And I switched appelations 3 or 4 times. When I had "The Adventurous" I found it quite hard to use -- an extra 5 gold per turn is not easy to come by (2 for activation + 3 for research). The prosperous, on the other hand, is like free money. Buy and sell the same goods in one turn can be quite handy.

I have 'The Wise' for my second campaign and have been using it a LOT. I think it's one of the more powerful ones. 'The Vengeful' was great near the end of the campaign (when I was winning and could take back my starting enmity). And "The Mighty" is another "free gold" appelation (if you are planning a raid).

I hope some insight into how they work helps - but I agree with the other posters -- upgrade your field! First turn ship upgrade before you sail off = priceless.

--- and as far as your next ship upgrade goes?? Your ships can now move in unison, what do you think will be more useful going forward? Trade? Speed? Explore? Raid? You'll eventually get a lot of those stats up -- but you'll have to decide: do you want one to be your raider and the other your explorer? One to be the flagship and the other to support?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Willottica wrote:
In my first campaign I won a lot. And I switched appelations 3 or 4 times.

See, that sounds really wasteful to me. Unless you were literally maxed out in garrison, reputation, fortune, and fields, I can't imagine changing appellations that much. They seem to me to be more like "side-grades" than upgrades. I can imagine switching once if you start the game with one that is too specific, but once you've switched to something more versatile, you're done.

But then, I've only got one win after eight games, so maybe if I were swimming in game win bonuses I wouldn't mind switching that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Upgrading the speed so you ships match I found to be real useful so there was always a support ship near by for endeavors. I've found the Nimble Ship upgrade to be a great investment as it effectively gives a bonus die on all endeavors and checks.

Fields would be my first upgrade for winning a game (assuming you didn't already get one from some captain book text). The more you win the more I find starting gold to be important. But above all be an explorer unless there is a mile stone to be had. The long term glory for being a strong explorer seem to blow the other approaches out of the water in pure glory potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a runaway leader. I ended the campaign with 7 rep, 4 or 5 fortune, two 8-fields and two 6-fields (on colonies), 3 or 4 garrison on my province... and 4 or 5 appellation stickers. Yes, it seemed like a waste - but several times I'd get an appellation, and then find it not as useful as I expected (like 'The Adventurous') - or I'd have the choice of an appellation or a +glory sticker (already 40-50 ahead); or another garrison (no one was raiding provinces).

Largely, my fellow players just didn't "get" the strategy yet. I was outplaying them considerably and consistently. So why not play around with the asymmetry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
delewobmesid wrote:
But above all be an explorer unless there is a mile stone to be had. The long term glory for being a strong explorer seem to blow the other approaches out of the water in pure glory potential.

I agree, but didn't want to go there - I feel like it might be slight spoiler territory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you weren't given a starting appellation, (doesn't apply to you), I'd say the first upgrade should be an appellation. After that, I think fields is a strong option. In my experience, money is always in short supply, even with maxed out fields.

That said, your game may vary. Do you find that raiding is a popular pastime for your opponents? Then garrison might well be a better choice (though if there's only one raider, tis might not be worth it -- they will soon increase your effective garrison for free, through enmity). If you absolutely hate your appellation, then perhaps replacing it might be worthwhile -- but consider carefully, because most of the appellations are valuable, and you are giving up a province upgrade to swap one for another, rather than gaining a pure benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.