Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Retaliate vs. shield rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cruel
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Is retaliate reduce by shield stats ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo S.
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Crueltism wrote:
Is retaliate reduce by shield stats ?


I don't think so. Retaliation is pure damage and not an attack. So it can't be mitigated by anything.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
on3iro wrote:
Crueltism wrote:
Is retaliate reduce by shield stats ?


I don't think so. Retaliation is pure damage and not an attack. So it can't be mitigated by anything.


I agree. The rulebook says that "Shield only applies to damage caused by an attack" (p. 25) and that "... retaliate itself is not an attack" (p. 26).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shield affect an attack. Retaliate isn't an attack.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Pisani
United States
New Albany
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
Thematically, I'd say it is like punching a spiked shield. The attacker hurts his hand.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
iamthepisani wrote:
Thematically, I'd say it is like punching a spiked shield. The attacker hurts his hand.


Not really. Retaliate happens after all the effects of the attack are resolved. The attack target can't retaliate if the attack reduces their HP to zero. That's not much like punching a spiked shield. Plus, bringing shields into an analogy where "shield" already has a given effect probably only muddles things further.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berg
Germany
BaWü
flag msg tools
富士山
badge
Take a closer look
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
breegull wrote:
iamthepisani wrote:
Thematically, I'd say it is like punching a spiked shield. The attacker hurts his hand.

Plus, bringing shields into an analogy where "shield" already has a given effect probably only muddles things further.

I find this strangely funny.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Pisani
United States
New Albany
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
breegull wrote:
Plus, bringing shields into an analogy where "shield" already has a given effect probably only muddles things further.


I'm wounded that you don't like my analogy. My argument is totally immobilized. Curse you for not adding fire to the story, but taking the air from under my wings.
11 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
laughlaughlaugh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
iamthepisani wrote:
breegull wrote:
Plus, bringing shields into an analogy where "shield" already has a given effect probably only muddles things further.


I'm wounded that you don't like my analogy. My argument is totally immobilized. Curse you for not adding fire to the story, but taking the air from under my wings.

One penalty for not working in "flying" rather than wings. Final score: 9.5
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Pisani
United States
New Albany
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
MrTroy wrote:
iamthepisani wrote:

I'm wounded that you don't like my analogy. My argument is totally immobilized. Curse you for not adding fire to the story, but taking the air from under my wings.

One penalty for not working in "flying" rather than wings. Final score: 9.5

I almost with with "taking the air from my boots of striding." That's too nerdy. I don't have the range in my pun abilities to add it. I'll recover and come up with a new analogy for you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.