Subject: Polonia Ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Padgett
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Polonia dont lose popularity from banishing workers in combat. If they moved a mech into a hex containing 1 enemy worker would they still lose popularity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Head like an orange
mbmbmbmbmb
Cut_Throat_Jake wrote:
Polonia dont lose popularity from banishing workers in combat. If they moved a mech into a hex containing 1 enemy worker would they still lose popularity?

"You do not lose popularity when forcing an
opponent’s workers to retreat after winning combat as the
aggressor. This applies any time on your turn when your
character or mechs force an opponent’s workers to retreat after
combat."

If I read the rule and then your question I would find the answer to be yes. You would lose popularity since you are not starting a combat just being aggressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Displacing workers by just moving into their hexes is not combat, so popularity is lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus T.
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree. No combat. Popularity is lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marema
United States
Ellisville
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey confirms here that entering a hex with only a worker does not constitute combat, therefore Polonia's ability does not take effect:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23152616#23152616

An actual combat has to occur in order for Polonia to benefit from their faction ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Notably, it was originally playtested no popularity loss from displacing workers (whether combat or not) and it was thought to be too powerful in that form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
Notably, it was originally playtested no popularity loss from displacing workers (whether combat or not) and it was thought to be too powerful in that form.

Do you have more of this sort of playtesting info? Can we find that somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to answer any questions about things we tested and tweaked throughout the playtest process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
WilbertK wrote:
Olvenskol wrote:

Do you have more of this sort of playtesting info? Can we find that somewhere?

I don't, I'm just re-quoting Jamey from memory. But ^this guy has plenty of info

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
I'm happy to answer any questions about things we tested and tweaked throughout the playtest process.

Well, I don't have any questions about the playtest process specifically, but i do have some questions about design decisions, and i was wondering whether some of these things were the result of playtests.

In particular, i was wondering what the reasoning is behind the home areas not being territories, and why Nordic's Seaworthy ability let's units retreat to multiple different lakes. I don't know whether these have anything to do with playtests, but I'm wondering anyway.
What I do know was playtested are abilities for the monument and armory. I'm wondering how you originally envisioned these to work.

But all this may be questions for another thread, as it's getting a bit off topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, I'm happy to talk about this stuff here or elsewhere:

Home bases: They're not territories because players need some place to retreat units to that have 0 chance of already being occupied by another player. This did not evolve during playtesting after we had the core mechanisms--I always knew they would be needed to serve that function.

Seaworthy: I wanted to give the Nordic faction something unique. It made sense to me thematically that they could pull up on the shores, attack someone, and if they lost, their boats could slide right back into the water of adjacent lakes.

Monument and Armory: For a while, buildings offered spatially relevant bonuses on the board. Like, if you had a battle on your armory, you got a power boost. The problem was that they were extremely situational, and there wasn't a clear way to identify their functions on the player mat (I really wanted all of the information on the player mat--playtesting seemed to indicate that when information was noted elsewhere, people just tended to ignore the entire mechanism). There was a short but contentious period when buildings had no spatial relevance, and then one of the last changes I made to the game was the structure bonus tiles for end-game scoring to make the structures spatially relevant again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
That was insightful. Thanks a lot for sharing. I didn't consider problems that could arise from home bases being taken by other players. So it makes a lot of sense that these aren't territories.
jameystegmaier wrote:
Seaworthy: I wanted to give the Nordic faction something unique. It made sense to me thematically that they could pull up on the shores, attack someone, and if they lost, their boats could slide right back into the water of adjacent lakes.

For this point, I meant to ask specifically about the ruling that you can retreat to multiple different lakes after a combat. I found this ruling non-intuitive, and I wondered whether something weird came up during playtesting that made this a better rule than making the Nordic faction retreat everything to one space instead, which I would think makes more sense thematically and just seems easier to understand (but that could be me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying. As for why Seaworthy allows for retreat into multiple lakes, I recall it being a thematic reason: If they're good at retreating onto water, shouldn't any adjacent body of water count, even if it's not the same for multiple units? If you have multiple boat-mechs, they could scatter onto multiple lakes.

I think it was one of those edge cases that came up while people were proofreading the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(this is so interesting to read, insights into the design process of the game! )
Cool to learn about the decision to give the monument and armoury a spatial relevance via the structure bonus tiles...
A big thank you to the designer, Jamey, for sharing and being so open about things, and generous towards the questions of fans!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.