Rising Sun» Forums » Crowdfunding

Subject: Lots of KS exclusive monsters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shabazz
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably a stupid question but how does this work with all the extra KS exclusive monsters?

I have Blood Rage without them, and there is a certain number of cards in each age so adding extra monsters I guess impacts the card probabilities in the game, so what do you do there - do you take out a monster from each deck where you add a monster? And the same question applies for Rising Sun – with all these extra monsters and I suppose a set number of cards in the market each season, I can see a situation where only monster cards are dealt in the market and this could impact gameplay significantly.

I am probably missing something so thanks for any explanation/insight anybody might have…love what I am seeing so far in this campaign though…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure the rulebook will just have some sort of draft / randomisation for adding / substituting in the KSE monsters. You would not play with everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty confident there will be a limited amount of monster season cards used each game, and extra monsters will be there for variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's similar to Blood Rage, and it probably is since the two games share many similarities as well as the same designer, you'll probably use a limited number of cards for each season, drawn from the full deck for that season. So every new monster they add will have a card that can seamlessly be added into each deck, increasing the randomness and which monsters you'll see each time you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
Well .. we already have 10 KSE monsters vs 4 in Blood Rage .. so that's a big difference!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Slavenburg
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I wonder how big the Godzilla and the Oni of Plagues miniatures are. All of them look drop dead gorgeous btw!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pkreynolds wrote:
So every new monster they add will have a card that can seamlessly be added into each deck, increasing the randomness and which monsters you'll see each time you play.

But as the OP points of this would seem to warp the card distribution (skewing it in favour of more monsters appearing, of course) if monsters and normal upgrades are all shuffled together.

Is that necessarily bad? I can't tell, but maybe there will be a balancing mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Stangier
Germany
Offenbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
Well .. we already have 10 KSE monsters vs 4 in Blood Rage .. so that's a big difference!

9 kickstarter exclusive monsters. We do get 10 extra monsters, but the Oni of Plagues is not exclusive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Senior Game Developer at CMON
mbmbmbmbmb
You will be able to add (2-3) to each season in addition to the regular 12 cards.

This is the official ruling but of course players will go different routes about it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bewulf wrote:
Teowulff wrote:

9 kickstarter exclusive monsters. We do get 10 extra monsters, but the Oni of Plagues is not exclusive.

I think you forgot the Phoenix KSE mini ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
United States
Rocky Hill
CT
flag msg tools
To be vulnerable ...
badge
... is needed most of all.
mb
Teowulff wrote:
Bewulf wrote:
Teowulff wrote:

No, he's right. 9 Exclusives, 10 total:

Phoenix
Kotahi
Koneko
Nure-Onna
Sunakake Baba
Sacred Warrior
Kitsune
Jikininki
Daijkaiju
and the non-exclusive Oni of the Plagues
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phildinius wrote:
Teowulff wrote:
No, he's right. 9 Exclusives, 10 total:

Phoenix Kotahi Koneko Nure-Onna Sunakake Baba Sacred Warrior Kitsune Jikininki Daijkaiju and the non-exclusive Oni of the Plagues

You are right! I double counted the Phoenix!! blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maynor
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at how these seem to be used, i don't think there is a problem. It looks as if a certain number are drawn at random at the beginning of a season, and then they are bought after that, public knowledge. Just like the Kami are random, but then public knowledge and impact the game from that point on. Maybe monsters are coded as to which season they are to be used in, but as long as they are relatively balanced against each other, whether you have 5 or 50 to draw from for a given season, it won;t impact overall game balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Pietro Pomella wrote:
pkreynolds wrote:
So every new monster they add will have a card that can seamlessly be added into each deck, increasing the randomness and which monsters you'll see each time you play.

But as the OP points of this would seem to warp the card distribution (skewing it in favour of more monsters appearing, of course) if monsters and normal upgrades are all shuffled together.

Is that necessarily bad? I can't tell, but maybe there will be a balancing mechanism.

What I do in Blood Rage is simply deal one extra card per player. You still draft the same number, and discard one more than standard at the end of the draft. It's good to let newer players know there are extra monsters so they know the ratios of what they're seeing don't mean they should grab more monsters. But it works great.

Seems even easier in Rising Sun, since monsters are purchased from a card market. It's trivial to integrate more options into that system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elac yenwod
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
i3ullseye wrote:
Maybe monsters are coded as to which season they are to be used in,

The updates in which the monster is announced have been saying what season they are seen in:

Phoenix - couldn't find
Kotahi - Spring
Koneko - Spring
Nure-Onna - Spring
Sunakake Baba - Summer
Sacred Warrior - Spring
Kitsune - Summer
Jikininki - Spring
Daijkaiju - Spring
and the non-exclusive Oni of the Plagues - Summer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivans Ivanovs
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The kickstarter page says:

Quote:
Only four of the seven Kami are used in each game, creating different dynamics each time you play.

I would assume similar rule would would be in place for the monsters: i.e. you always shuffle in certain amount of mosnter cards. There could be a certain amount of cards for each season, something like: add "4 spring monsters" , "2 summer" "4 autumn" monsters, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mundicus wrote:
The kickstarter page says:
Quote:
Only four of the seven Kami are used in each game, creating different dynamics each time you play.

I would assume similar rule would would be in place for the monsters: i.e. you always shuffle in certain amount of mosnter cards. There could be a certain amount of cards for each season, something like: add "4 spring monsters" , "2 summer" "4 autumn" monsters, etc.

Yes I like the ranmdomness and the unpredictability that comes with it.
Random Gods, monsters, season cards - and clans with unique abilities.

Should add a lot to the replayability!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elac yenwod
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
It looks like the component list on the KS page hasn't been updated with the stretch goals. It looks like it still counts cards in which some have been upgraded to cardboard or plastic and doesn't include the additional 15 cards and 1 card per KS monster.

It lists a total of 53 cards.
-10 for the mandates
-7 for kami's
= 36 cards / 3 seasons
= 12 cards per season.

The notorious game play video also shows they had 12 cards in the market at the start of the game.

Unless they work out some rules for randomizing the market with the additional cards they've added, it looks like all of the cards are used. Hopefully there is some sort of randomization or it could lead to some individuals repeatedly exploiting the same combo of cards every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
elacyenwod wrote:

Unless they work out some rules for randomizing the market with the additional cards they've added, it looks like all of the cards are used. Hopefully there is some sort of randomization or it could lead to some individuals repeatedly exploiting the same combo of cards every game.

Don't forget the Stretch Goal: +15 Seasonal cards.
Should give some variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Legault
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, Bloodrage without Fenrir is kind of heartbreaking, that never should have been a kickstarter exclusive. They also should have had Hati, Skoll and Hel minis as well. But that is neither here nor there, we got what we got in the core. There's some things missing from this from Japanese mythology that I consider to be a travesty if they are not included, such as Yamata no Orochi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Gutcher
Canada
flag msg tools
Agreed, Can't wait for a yamata monster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taluagel wrote:
To be honest, Bloodrage without Fenrir is kind of heartbreaking, that never should have been a kickstarter exclusive. They also should have had Hati, Skoll and Hel minis as well. But that is neither here nor there, we got what we got in the core. There's some things missing from this from Japanese mythology that I consider to be a travesty if they are not included, such as Yamata no Orochi.

Do you mean mythologically or game-wise? Because I found Fenrir made the game less strategic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Legault
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythology wise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.