Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Anachrony» Forums » General

Subject: First impressions after first game - three players, no modules, no variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
warning 1: I'm no way affiliatad with Mindclash or the designer

warning 2: I need more games to rate it objectively (and write an actual review) but if I were to rate it now I'd sure give it a 9.5 so expect an extremely positive rant about everything included in my leader pledge... sorry...

So we had our first game of Anachrony yesterday (photo to come cause I didn't take it myself, one of my mates did)
First impression is the setting time and then having the ENORMOUS amount of stuff diplayed on the table. And well that was more than a bit overwhelming. My mates and I were bought and sold on the world's lore and the main specificity of the game (the time paradoxes theme) so I had read the rules carefully and we were all ready for something hard and meaty.
Once all that stuff was on the table, there was a gasp though.

Also because everything was beautiful mind you!

Then we played, first two turns being a bit awkward since we missed a few opportunities due to the great amount of choice and information to be fully understood to actually make efficient choices.

As soon as we got a feeling of the game, the atmosphere around the table was what I would describe as "top worker placement mood" with all three of us going "wow but if I ask this resource from my future to build this building I might be able to send it back next turn, but only if you don't steal me the buildng and /or if I can get this worker to get that vortex back and then try to go for the superproject and une it to clean the time-continuum..." (etc, etc)

The game ended with quite tight scores, one of us being a bit lower than the two others because she wanted to use the vortex mechanism so much that it turned against her and crippled her plans during early game(an error any of us could have made for a very first game really)

All in all we all we left the table ready for a game with all the rules now perfectly understood from turn one next sunday and convinced this would be a game that would see a LOT of table in our precise (quite hardcore I have to admit) group of player.

Now to the "Leader" pledge content.

Well in one word: I AM content

The amount of LOVE (yes, yes, you read well: LOVE) that was put into the crafting of this game and our leader pledges is ridiculous.
The art book ifs a beauty, the more is well-written and interesting (god that's RARE!)

Any KS project by Mindclash games from now on is going to be insta-buy or at least will need a lot of pondering if I don't dig the theme or the kind of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review but should be moved to Sessions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:
Great review but should be moved to Sessions :)

I always do first impresssions in the "general" section, since there's unboxing and components reviewing (but not an actual review). But it's an idea I could contemplate for a future time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.