Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people have asked for this already, so I have put this one together from all the questions I encountered. I've never made a wiki page before, otherwise I'd go the same route with this as they have done with the Terra Mystica FAQ. If someone is willing to transform this into a wiki, you have my blessing.

Errata

Appendix

In order to avoid confusion, all instances of "produce", "produces", and "producing" should be replaced with "make", "makes", and "making", respectively. (This affects pages 5, 9, 10, and 11.)

Page 3:

Industrialist Colony
For level IV, the table is missing the iron exchange and showing an incorrect coal limit. Iron is made from 2 ore and either 6 wood or 1 coal. The coal exchange can be made once, not twice.

Page 5:

Trader Colony

Goods exchanged via this ability may be immediately exchanged further via the abilities of the Alchemist Colony, provided you do not exchange goods back (e.g., you cannot exchange Food for Ore via the Alchemist Colony after exchanging Ore for Food via the Trader Colony).

Card Texts

#117 Building Contract

The depicted Forester's House says "Försterei" (which is the German term).

#234 Apprentice

The card is missing the first sentence: "Place the paid goods on this card."

#235 Ticket

The card text is off-center. There is a sentence that should not be there: "At the end of each year, remove a good from here."

Colony Overviews

Alchemist Colony

The text about the Alchemist special ambassador should read: you can move him once per half-year at the start or end of one of your three turns (range 2)

Altruist Colony

The text about the Altruist special ambassador should read: you can move him once per half-year at the start of one of your three turns (range 2)

Industrialist Colony
Level II shows an incorrect brick ratio. The correct one is 1 wood and 2 clay for 1 brick.

Laborer Colony

The text about the Laborer special ambassador should read: you can move him once per half-year at the end of your third turn (range 2)

Embassy Tiles

Altruist Colony

The level IV embassy is missing the title ("Altruist Colony").

Introductory Game

In order to avoid confusion, all instances of "produce" and "producing" should be replaced with "make" and "making", respectively. (This affects pages 7, 13, 14, and 16.)

Page 2:

The first place should be the Builder for Pubs and not Flats. This error spans throughout the entire rule book.

Page 5:

The illustration at the bottom of the page is supposed to say "Alice" instead of "supply".

Page 8:

The text should read “Holiday Cabin” and not “Cottage” when speaking of the cards Bob drew.

Rule Book

Page 9:

You Must End Your Turn on a Different Place than You Started
This section uses “turn” ambiguously in two places, the title and the text box. “Turn” is always supposed to mean one of the three turns you get per half-year. There is no term for the entirety of your three turns. A better title for this section would have probably been “Limited Backtracking”.

Page 12:

The examples use "produce" when they should use "make" instead.

Page 19:

The example uses "produce" when it should use "make" instead.

Page 21:

In section c, "produce" should be replaced with "generate".

Page 22:

In section 5, "produced" should be replaced with "generated".

FAQ

Buildings in General

Do I have to discard or move buffered goods to my storage or warehouse when remodeling a sustenance building?
Yes, unless you immediately employ a worker in the new building, provided the new buffer size is sufficiently big enough. Otherwise you do have to move or discard the excess goods.

Is a building without a worker worth any dollars at the end of the game?
Yes. Every building is worth the printed amount of dollars. It does not matter whether or not someone works there. Workers are scored separately.

Is zero included when it says I could build any number of buildings?
No. You must build at least one building, regardless of whether you are at a Builder (including the market action of the same name) or playing a Building Contract.

May I move unemployed colonists between residences at any time?
Yes. Colonists are not bound to the residence they come with. Even if you get a colonist from an improvement, you may move him to a residence on your community board, e.g., in order to remodel (or raze) the residence.

May I rearrange buildings on my community board?
Yes. You may rearrange your buildings at any time. For instance, even if a building was built on a building spot for storage facilities, you may move it out of the way (provided you have room elsewhere) to make room for a storage facility.

May I remodel (or raze) a building without a worker?
Yes. It does not matter whether or not someone works there. If there is a worker, he goes home, as stated in the rule book.

What is the timing on moving buffered goods to my storage or warehouse when I remodel (or raze) a building storing these goods in its buffer?

Before you may move goods, you must complete the action. Paying for the remodeled (or razed) building is part of the action, so it happens first. Usually, you then have enough storage space to move the goods.

Buildings in Particular

Factory

Does its effect stack with the Industrialist Colony?
Yes.

Institute

Does it reduce the tool cost of both improvements I play?
Yes.

Does it reduce the tool cost of Building Contracts?
Yes.

How does it work?
The Institute has two effects once it has been activated. Whenever you play an improvement, you may play a second one right after. Playing the second improvement is an additional action (not turn), so you may rearrange goods in-between the plays. Its second effect reduces the cost of every improvement you play by 1 tool, provided the improvement costs tools.

Library

How does the Training improvement card (#133) work with the Library?
It lets you draw and keep one additional card. At the Librarian place, you draw five cards and keep three of them. Taking the Librarian action at a market, you draw four cards and keep two of them.

How many cards do I draw and keep when taking the Librarian action at a market?
You draw three cards and keep one of them. The icon on the Library, unfortunately, only shows what happens at the Librarian place.

What is the exact procedure when drawing cards while already having five or six cards in hand?
First draw the required number of cards (e.g., three at a market and four at the Librarian). Then discard two of them and add the rest to your hand. If you then have seven or more cards in hand, discard down to six cards. It does not matter which cards you discard. (You may even discard the ones you just got.)

Colonies in General

How does "once per half-year" affect the special ambassadors' movement?
Each player with access to a special ambassador may move that ambassador once per half-year. Consequently, a special ambassador can be moved multiple times per half-year, but at most once by each player.

May I raze an embassy?
Yes. Obviously, you lose all benefits from the corresponding colony.

Colonies in Particular

Alchemist Colony

Can I exchange goods I get from a fee payment?
Yes.

Can I exchange goods I get from an improvement?
Yes, unless they are being generated at the end of the year (e.g., via the Beaver’s Lodge, #126). You may exchange goods you get for free (e.g., via a Stone Axe, #101/102) or goods you make from other goods (e.g., via the Panel Saw, #214).

Can I exchange goods I get from the Laborer?
Yes.

Do the Alchemist and Trader Colonies allow me to triple ore?
No. You may not exchange goods back and forth on the same turn. If you use the Trader Colony to exchange ore for food at a market, you may not exchange that food back to ore, even though the first exchange was not caused by the Alchemist Colony.

What happens when I raze the embassy?
You immediately lose all benefits from the Alchemist Colony, namely
• the ability to exchange goods on receipt,
• access to the alternative market action,
• access to the Alchemist special ambassador.
Leave the special ambassador in play, even if you were the only one to control him.

Altruist Colony

Can I get free dollars from the Altruist special ambassador when selling goods at a market?
Yes.

Example: The Altruist is at a Clay Pit. The market lets you sell clay for $1 per clay. If you take the Sale action at a market, you get $2 for free, even if you do not sell any clay (or the other good) at all.

Do I benefit from the Altruist special ambassador even if I do not move him?
Yes.

Do I benefit from the Altruist special ambassador when exchanging goods via the Trader colony at a market?
Yes. Exchanging goods via the Trader colony is an action, therefore you can benefit from the Altruist special ambassador.

Does the Altruist special ambassador affect the Industrialist Colony’s exchange actions?
Yes. Because the exchange actions are separate actions, the Altruist affects each of them individually, which may result in a greater net discount.

Example: You are at level II in both colonies. The Altruist is at a market providing 1 wood and 1 clay. At the end of the year, you make 2 planks and 1 brick. You save 1 wood making the planks, and 1 wood and 1 clay making the brick. In total, you save 2 wood and 1 clay.

Does the Altruist special ambassador reduce the fee?
No.

Does the embassy have a buffer for the charity good?
No. This is why it comes with a warehouse extension—to make up for that.

You immediately lose all benefits from the Altruist Colony, namely
• the additional warehouse lot,
• access to charity goods every year,
• access to goods generated by the embassy,
• access to the Alchemist special ambassador.
Reduce your warehouse by 1 lot. Move any buffered goods to your storage or warehouse, or discard them. Leave the special ambassador in play, even if you were the only one to control him.

Envoy Colony

How long does the increased range at level II last?
The range increase lasts for the entire half-year. The phrase “once per half-year” may be misleading. It is there to prevent you from increasing your range indefinitely, especially if you benefit from a reduced fee or if you do not have to pay the fee at all.

Is the level II range upgrade free once I have the Customs Office or established relations with the Lord Colony on level II?

Yes.

You immediately lose all benefits of the Envoy Colony, namely
• access to an additional steward,
• the optional and permanent range increase,
• the tweaks to the Diplomat place.
Remove one of your stewards from play, unless you have only one in play.

Industrialist Colony

Am I required to use the exchange actions?
No.

Are the exchange actions considered separate actions?
Yes. Every exchange for one final product is an action of its own. For instance, at level IV, there are four exchange actions you can take: one for planks (for up to three planks), one for bricks (for up to two bricks), one for coal, and one for iron. You can take these actions in any order and rearrange goods in-between.

Can I make iron at level IV?
Yes. The table in the appendix is missing this option, but the colony overview shows it correctly.

Does its effect stack with the Factory?
Yes.

Does the Altruist special ambassador affect the exchange actions?
Yes. Because the exchange actions are separate actions, the Altruist affects each of them individually, which may result in a greater net discount.

Example: You are at level II in both colonies. The Altruist is at a market providing 1 wood and 1 clay. At the end of the year, you make 2 planks and 1 brick. You save 1 wood making the planks, and 1 wood and 1 clay making the brick. In total, you save 2 wood and 1 clay.

In which order do I have to take the exchange actions?
You can take them in any order. For instance, at level IV, you can make coal first and then use that coal to make iron.

May I use buffered goods for the exchange actions?
No, at least not directly from buffers. If you move them to your storage first, you may use them indeed.

May I use goods that have just been generated to exchange them via the Industrialist Colony?
Yes, provided you have enough storage space.

You immediately lose all benefits from the Industrialist Colony, namely
• the additional warehouse lots it provides,
• access to the various exchange actions,
• the ability to boost the output of your production buildings.
Reduce your warehouse by 1 lot. Reduce it by another 1 lot, if you had relations with this colony on level III or higher. If the embassy employed a worker, return him home and decrease the buffer size of all affected production buildings. As a consequence, you may have to move goods to your storage or warehouse, or discard them.

What is the correct brick ratio at level II?
It is 1 wood and 2 clay for 1 brick. The action is limited to 1 brick. The colony overview has it wrong, unfortunately.

What is the correct coal limit at level IV?
You can make the exchange once. It costs 3 wood to make 1 coal, and 5 wood to make 2 coal.

Laborer Colony

Do I benefit from the Laborer special ambassador even if I do not move him?
Yes.

Do I get goods from the Laborer special ambassador when another player is paying the fee at that place?
No. The Laborer does not care for player interactions.

Do I get goods from the Laborer special ambassador when another player uses the Trader colony at a market?
Yes.

You immediately lose all benefits from the Laborer Colony, namely
• the ability to employ “incorrect” workers,
• the ability to remodel Estates to Apartments,
• access to the Laborer special ambassador.
Return any “incorrectly” placed workers home and suffer the consequences from that, unless you employ “correct” workers right away. Leave the special ambassador in play, even if you were the only one to control him.

Lord Colony

Can ignoring a place and taking a good trigger the effect of the Axe (#123), Spade (#124), and Iron Pickaxe (#216) improvement cards?
Yes. The Lord Colony allows you to replace a place’s action with an alternative, thus triggering any effects that require a place to be used.

You immediately lose all benefits from the Lord Colony, namely
• the ability to ignore a place and take a good instead,
• the ability to ignore the fee,
• the ability to swap adjacent places.

Scholar Colony

Does the Library effect also apply to the Librarian action at a market?
Yes. The depiction on the colony overview is misleading in that it only shows the Librarian place.

How does Training (#133) work with the Scholar Colony’s Library effect?
It lets you draw and keep one additional card. At the Librarian place, you draw five cards and keep three of them. Taking the Librarian action at a market, you draw four cards and keep two of them.

How many cards do I draw and keep when taking the Librarian action at a market?
You draw three cards and keep one of them.

Is there any difference between the Scholar Colony at level I and the Library, apart from the fact that the Scholar Colony also lets me draw a card at the end of every year?
No. Both do exactly the same in regard to drawing and keeping cards.

May I play a card before discarding once I am on level II?
No. Discarding cards is part of drawing them. You must be finished drawing (and discarding) cards before you can play one.

You immediately lose all benefits from the Scholar Colony, namely
• the ability to draw cards at the end of every year,
• access to the Library effects, unless you also have the Library,
• the ability to play an improvement upon drawing one,
• the ability to jump to the Developer,
• having improvements not cost tools.

What is the exact procedure when drawing cards while already having five or six cards in hand?
First draw the required number of cards (e.g., two at the end of a year, three at a market, and four at the Librarian). Then discard the required number (e.g., one at the end of a year, two at a market, and two at the Librarian) and add the rest to your hand. If you then have seven or more cards in hand, discard down to six cards. When discarding down to six cards, you may discard cards that you just got.

Storekeeper Colony

You immediately lose all benefits from the Storekeeper Colony, namely
• the additional 3 warehouse lots,
• the storage space increase,
• the ability to exchange storage facilities for other buildings,
• having the warehouse be part of your storage.
Reduce your warehouse by 3 lots. Turn all of your storage facilities to the front side (showing fewer storage spaces). Return the basic storage upgrade. As a consequence, you may lose a lot of goods due to lack of storage space.

Trader Colony

Do I benefit from the Altruist special ambassador when exchanging goods at a market?
Yes. Exchanging goods at a market is an action, therefore you can benefit from the Altruist special ambassador.

Do the Alchemist and Trader Colonies allow me to triple ore?
No. If you exchange ore to food at a market, you may not exchange the food back to ore right away. Since the Alchemist Colony only allows you to exchange goods the moment you get them, you may not exchange the food back to ore later either (unless you do it via the Trader Colony, in which case you gain nothing).

You immediately lose access to the alternative market action of trading goods.

Goods

Can I use planks in place of wood, bricks in place of clay, and iron in place of ore?
No. Every good is exactly what it is and cannot replace another good.

Is the supply of goods limited to the provided number of counters?
No. If you run out, replace the goods with something else.

Improvements in General

Am I required to use my permanent improvements?
No. Whether or not you use your permanent improvements is entirely up to you. For instance, if you have the Kiln (#215) you are not required to make bricks every single year.

Do I have to remove cards from previous eras when shuffling the discard pile?
No, but you can if you want to.

Does a discount (of any sort) affect the number of uses of a limited improvement that tells you to place the paid goods on the card?

No. Every limited improvement has three uses no matter what. If another effect discounts the cost to play a limited improvement (e. g., the Institute), take the discounted goods from the general supply and place them on the card so that there are three goods in total on it.

What happens when I play an immediate improvement from a previous era?
You place it on the discard pile, as usual.

What is the cost of an improvement?
Permanent and limited improvements show their cost at the top of the card. Immediate improvements either have no cost (if they give you goods for free) or the cost is part of the effect and, as such, shown in the effect portion of the card. The cost of an immediate improvement may even depend on your choices. For instance, the cost of the Handsaw (#112) is at least 2 wood, depending on how much wood you decide to exchange.

Improvements in Particular

Anvil (#109/206/207)

Do I have to buy the additional tool?
No. You get a free tool. Whether or not you spend 1 wood and 1 clay to buy an additional tool does not matter. Unfortunately, the card fails to communicate this.

Apprentice (#234)

What happens when I play the Apprentice via the Institute?

The Institute allows you to play the Apprentice without paying the tool cost. The Apprentice has three uses no matter how you get it into play. The uses are tracked via the goods that the card costs. Because you are not paying the tool when you play the Apprentice via the Institute, you should take a tool from the supply and place it on the card. You do not lose out on uses due to a discount.

Axe (#123), Iron Pickaxe (#216), and Spade (#124)

Do they increase the output of my Forester’s Houses, Iron Mines, and Hollows, respectively?
No. They only work with places, not buildings.

Do they work with playing an immediate improvement at the Developer?
Yes. For instance, if you have the Axe and play the Stone Axe (#101/102), you will get 5 wood.

Do they work with the Lord Colony?
Yes. For instance, if you have the Spade and ignore a place’s action to take clay, you would get 2 clay.

Do they work with the Subsidy action at markets?
Yes. For instance, if you have the Axe and the Spade and the market is providing 1 wood and 1 clay, you will get 2 wood and 2 clay.

Clay/Food/Ore/Robe/Wood Warehouse (#228/230/229/433/227)

Do they come pre-filled with the depicted goods?
No.

How do they work?
You can store the depicted goods in them. As the name suggests, these improvements count as warehouse extensions that are limited to a specific type of good.

Deed Registration (#134) and Realtor’s License (#333)

When do I build the residences—before or after the required building?
It does not matter, as long as you build at least one building required by the place.

Training (#133)

Does it also work with the Librarian action at a market?
Yes. You simply draw two cards instead of one. If you also have the Library or relations with the Scholar Colony, you draw four cards and keep two.

Movement

Do I have to pay the fee when having increased range and moving through a place with other stewards?
No. You only pay the fee at the place you end your movement, unless it is a market.

May a steward jump to the same market he is already at?
Yes.

May I move through a place containing another of my stewards?
Yes.

May I move to a place another one of my stewards has just left?
Yes. This does not violate the backtracking rule.

May I move to a place for which I do not have enough goods if I discard the goods I do have?
No. You must carry out the action at least once. For instance, if you move to a Joiner, you must spend at least 2 wood to make 1 plank. You cannot move to the Joiner while only having 1 wood, even if you discard the wood in a failed attempt to make a plank.

May I move to the same place I am already at if I have enough range?
No. You must always move to a different place. It takes two turns to return to a place you were at. As usual, all of this does not apply to markets.

May two stewards swap places within a single half-year?
Yes. To do so, they must move in a circle (B => C, A => B, C => A).

Places

Builders

Is zero included when it says I could build any number of buildings?
No. You must build at least one building.

Markets

Are markets considered places?
Yes, see page 7 of the rule book.

Is a market tile considered a single piece or two separate hexes?
A market tile is a single piece. You may enter a market from any side and leave it from any side.

May I swap markets, e.g., via the Chief Officer?
No. Even though markets are places, they cannot change their position.

Solo Game

How does the solo game work?
You play by yourself, trying to beat your own high score. There are no special rules for solo play. We are aware of the fact that some game elements lose their effect in the solo game, like the starting player, the fee, and some special ambassadors.

How many dollars are considered a good score?
This is a tricky question, as it depends on how many eras you play and in which era you start. If you insist: scoring 60, 125, 220, and 350 dollars at the end of eras I, II, III, and IV, respectively, should be considered a good score.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
First draw the required number of cards (e.g., three at a market and four at the Librarian). Then discard two of them and add the rest to your hand. If you then have seven or more cards in hand, discard down to six cards. It does not matter which cards you discard. (You may even discard the ones you just got.)

This is a little confusing...it doesn't matter for the second discard but for the first you can only discard from the ones you just drew, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
Quote:

This is a little confusing...it doesn't matter for the second discard but for the first you can only discard from the ones you just drew, correct?

Yes. I'll fix the wording on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Gregorz, this goes bookmarked immediately. Awesome post!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, great job! Thanks a lot!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, thank you so much! Already printed this and put it in the box!

thanks, this must have been a lot of work, but I appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kieritz
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Shouldn't the errata part of the post mention that the following sentence from the Trader Colony is removed?: "Goods exchanged via this ability may be immediately exchanged even further via the abilities of the Alchemist Colony"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Timbo_ wrote:
Shouldn't the errata part of the post mention that the following sentence from the Trader Colony is removed?: "Goods exchanged via this ability may be immediately exchanged even further via the abilities of the Alchemist Colony"

Another one, in the Appendix.

Page 2, 2nd paragraph, under Envoy Colony. States, "(see Storekeeper Colony for ways to reduce the Fee)."

Should this read "Lord Colony"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lawrence
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all...

A couple of clarifications, if I may. This seemed to be the best thread for it:

What happens if you run out of tools for distribution? We had a run of people playing card at the Developer and with the Smithy production at the end of each year, we ran out. Are the amount of tools a hard limit so if you run out, there are no more available until others add more to the supply?

Also, we assumed that the Trader Colony effects could happen anytime, except in the middle of an action. So you could trade all wood to clay or any others as often as you like, before an action, then do the action. Correct?

Thanks much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Rae
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Do I have to pay the fee when moving through a place with other stewards?
No. You only pay the fee at the place you end your movement, unless it is a market.

How so? You only pay if you end movement on step 3 in a half year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Komerad wrote:
Quote:

This question is for stewards with >1 Range. If you, on an individual turn, move more than 1 space because you are Range 2+, you don't pay the fee just for moving through spaces containing other stewards.

If you take an action on a space with other stewards, then you are ending your movement there for that turn and must pay the fee (subject to various "don't pay the fee" benefits of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Timbo_ wrote:

It is not removed. It is restricted to not allow you to convert stuff back, as per the Alchemist Colony rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Komerad wrote:
Quote:

I've added the note about range in the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Roblaw wrote:

What happens if you run out of tools for distribution? We had a run of people playing card at the Developer and with the Smithy production at the end of each year, we ran out. Are the amount of tools a hard limit so if you run out, there are no more available until others add more to the supply?

All goods are supposed to be in unlimited supply, including tools.

Quote:
Also, we assumed that the Trader Colony effects could happen anytime, except in the middle of an action. So you could trade all wood to clay or any others as often as you like, before an action, then do the action. Correct?

No. To use the Trader abilities, you have to take an action at a Market. This should be stated very clearly in the appendix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Normann Nielsen
Denmark
Randers C
flag msg tools
Ponton wrote:

Quote:

No. To use the Trader abilities, you have to take an action at a Market. This should be stated very clearly in the appendix.

In my opinion, it's also clearly stated on the colony card: "Alternative market action".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
normann1974 wrote:
Ponton wrote:

Quote:

In my opinion, it's also clearly stated on the colony card: "Alternative market action".

Yeah, that works too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lawrence
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ugh...sorry...Had a couple of first time players (and I have only played it a handful) and missed all that on the Trader Colony.

R.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I put the Alchemist on the Developer... can I save 2 tools when I go to a builder? (i.e. build Hunting Lodge with just one tool because the altruist pays the other two at the developer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
GShock112 wrote:
If I put the Alchemist on the Developer... can I save 2 tools when I go to a builder? (i.e. build Hunting Lodge with just one tool because the altruist pays the other two at the developer)

No. This is covered in the rules though. The AlchemistAltruist can only provide goods that you would get unconditionally. The Developer does not provide his tools unconditionally: he requires you play a card to get them, so the AlchemistAltruist has no access to these tools.

Edit: Wrote Alchemist while talking about the Altruist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes sense. The alchemist so can make you save on the fee (the bank pays the resources where the alchemist is), at the end of the year you can save on food if the alchemist is on the bakers (adds to your capacity) yet it was decided the embassy would not be a buffer. I'm wondering why.

As a sidenote, the 3rd level gives you 1 food plus 1 option between 1 food or 1 robe. I use the balance card to keep track of everything but with this option in place I need to keep in mind that extra is conditional (keep forgetting because i cant keep track of an option in the card). I'm wondering if there's a way to keep track of this...

... and I'm wondering what's the deal with the laborer colony. I used them ALL but this one because I can't think of a suitable strategy.

A think that stinks a bit (If I may say so) is the conversion between hunting lodge and hunting grounds. The lodge by itself gives you 1 food and consumes zero (worker is self sustaining). The grounds give you 3 food but you spend one to sustain its citizen so your upgrade goes from 1 food to 2 food units per year and seems quite little considering the costs to build the lodge, the flat, the grounds... the upgrade is only 1 extra.. what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fee is also excluded. The Altruist does not reduce the Fee, ever.

The Embassy provides a Warehouse lot. That's effectively its buffer. (Since it does not produce anything, it does not require a buffer.)

There's no real way of tracking the alternative production. I don't use the balance card at all, so it doesn't bother me. I'm too paranoid to use it: what if I mess up and forget to adjust the balance? That's why I much rather re-count everything every year. It doesn't take too long, really.

The Laborer is pretty cool for high scores.

The thing with the Hunting buildings is intended to be like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
GShock112 wrote:
As a sidenote, the 3rd level gives you 1 food plus 1 option between 1 food or 1 robe. I use the balance card to keep track of everything but with this option in place I need to keep in mind that extra is conditional (keep forgetting because i cant keep track of an option in the card). I'm wondering if there's a way to keep track of this...

Put a food or robe somewhere to show what you intend to produce and adjust the balance card accordingly; not foolproof but makes it more explicit what you are planning and when you change your mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2 questions and a suggestion for 1 addition to the FAQ.

First, from reading another forum post, it may be worth adding to the FAQ Movement section that a Steward starting their turn on a Market can take that market action as their first turn without moving to a different market. I was reading that as I was looking for the answer to my question, and never realized that.

Question: If I have the Laborer Ambassador on a Market, and the other player takes the Trader Colony Action on that Market, trading 3 wood for 3 clay, do I get 1 wood via the Laborer?
Our thinking was that since the Altruist Ambassador impacts the Trading Colony, then the Laborer does as well. : )

Question: The Alchemist Ambassador MUST move in order to copy an action, correct? For example, if a player moves their steward onto the Ambassador place as their 3rd turn, on my turn I cannot copy that action because I have to move the steward first? I also am not able to use the 2 movement to return to that same space. All this correct?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Both correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelika Fröhlich
Austria
Tulln on the Danube
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much!
Great job

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.