Lukas Kastner
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I cant'be that one players is always left out and sad, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cody
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to guess, it would likely even out due to broken alliances and forming new alliances to prevent one person from running away with a victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Wccody wrote:
If I had to guess, it would likely even out due to broken alliances and forming new alliances to prevent one person from running away with a victory.

I'm sure being in an alliance isn't always a guaranteed thing, and you've got to pick and choose on who to roll with or not. Just as you can't ally with more than 1 person, it looks like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think having loners is part of the deal. In real diplomacy it's not like everyone always gets even stakes. And there are also advantages to not having an ally - you can't attack your ally so the loner is free to do what they want anywhere on the board.

If the game is designed well, alliances will involve thought and trade offs, not be the only valid approach.

Edit: Jeez so many small typos. I need more coffee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea - I think this game will have very different dynamics for each player count.

It remains to be seen if it's really a big disadvantage not to be member of an alliance.
And if winning becomes very hard without being in one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Stangier
Germany
Offenbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The player not in an alliance has the benefit of being able to play the Betrayal mandate without negative effect.
So he can replace two figures (from different players) with his own without losing Honor.
Furthermore with Betrayal only the active player gets to act while with every other mandate all players get to act.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balaji Iyengar
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
Valandil (God-friend)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the KS video spoke about scenarios where your ally may backstab you.
Such actions apparently cost honor but I believe they yield great returns.

So don't count your pacts and alliances as solid and long lasting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a long post in the comments from a dev stating that if 2 players in a 3 player game stayed in a perma-alliance, it opened a bunch of tactics for the lone wolf where he could then use the betray actions without consequences and start swapping in 2 of his troops for 2 of the other players and running them thin on the ground.

I couldn't find it, the comment section is huge but, it was an interesting read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you get from the alliance? Just the promise that the person you allied with won't attack you this round? Participate in battles together? Get to use each other's faction abilities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Extra action on each others political mandates, and you don't fight each other in a region at the end of the season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Slovakia
flag msg tools
RS alliance system seems a bit similar to Three Kingdoms Redux's alliance system, based on the very little info I have about RS and it works fantastically well in 3K with 3 players, so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work in RS. But then again, I know very little about the RS alliance system

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
Go Sox Go!
badge
Dream car
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the OPs question in realistic terms - nothing in life is 'fair' and always equal. Rising Sun will put you in some hard situations with tough choices. And alliances can always be broken or betrayed... try to offer something better to your opponents so they align with you!

This touchy feely crap about someone being left out surrounding a game that brings subtlety to war and politics is getting really annoying.

And hey, you are in luck -- it's got a 6th player board on stretch goals now. But that requires you always play with even numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Private Blinky
msg tools
magicPepper wrote:
If 2 players can be allies, how does this game work with uneven player numbers?

...Negotiate better than one of the other players so they're the odd man out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:

Edit: Jeez so many small typos. I need more coffee.

... or less?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moedin1 wrote:
To answer the OPs question in realistic terms - nothing in life is 'fair' and always equal. Rising Sun will put you in some hard situations with tough choices. And alliances can always be broken or betrayed... try to offer something better to your opponents so they align with you!

This touchy feely crap about someone being left out surrounding a game that brings subtlety to war and politics is getting really annoying.

And hey, you are in luck -- it's got a 6th player board on stretch goals now. But that requires you always play with even numbers.

Except that we aren't talking about real life, we're talking about a board game. In board games, everyone should have an equal playing field, at least at the start of the game. Therefore, it's a fair question to ask if in a 3- or 5-player game the player left out of an alliance is at a disadvantage. Because alliances have significant benefits, there would also need to be some mechanic to keep players left out of them in the game.

It sounds like this has been included in the game, and we still don't know the full rules around the alliance mechanics so there might be more as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
pkreynolds wrote:
In board games, everyone should have an equal playing field, at least at the start of the game. Therefore, it's a fair question to ask if in a 3- or 5-player game the player left out of an alliance is at a disadvantage. Because alliances have significant benefits, there would also need to be some mechanic to keep players left out of them in the game.

Well as alliances are there for just 1 season and you can even betray them during that season .. I don't see why one would worry. If there's a runaway leader it will be countered by the other 2 working together. So it will probably balance itself out. But thorugh the seasons/game, not in every single turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio M
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Where was it written or announced that an alliance is only between two players?

I know that the alliance symbols are shaped to form a yin-yang circle, but is that the only reason?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Except that we aren't talking about real life, we're talking about a board game. In board games, everyone should have an equal playing field, at least at the start of the game. Therefore, it's a fair question to ask if in a 3- or 5-player game the player left out of an alliance is at a disadvantage. Because alliances have significant benefits, there would also need to be some mechanic to keep players left out of them in the game.

Well, this is an Eric Lang board game, so I expect the alliance will also have drawbacks as well. He always makes stuff a double edged sword.

For example, if I don't fight my ally, it's reasonable to think my ally might walk an army into my zone and control it without risk because we don't fight each other. For all we know you can use the betray action (and steal 2 warriors) without losing honor if you don't have an ally, so going it alone could offer substantial opportunities as well.

The game-play video sort of demonstrated how your ally could use the alliance to walk all over you. I'm certain there are instances where players voluntarily do not ally with each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And as if to answer

"Broken Alliances", or "When The Solo Path is Best"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Problem i see is bretayal is fine but my guess is of you do no one will allign with you on the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.