Subject: Questions from new player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi to all,

I already posted this on reddit but the subreddit does not seem very active, as well as in another forum but my post seems to have disappeared...
Hence, here I am !

as a former MTG player (as well as a lot of other physical CCG when I was younger, such as VS, Netrunner (1st of his name), L5R...), but with limited time now that I have grown up, got a job, got married, have a 22-month old daughter, the lack of collection-building in LCG appeals to me. Since I am also a huge AGOT fan, the AGOT LCG got my attention, but I have some questions :

1. When I played CCG, I was clearly a control player (with sometimes a bit of combo as well): to give some analogies, I was a white/black/blue player in MTG, and in HS I like Control Warrior, Control Priest, Control Shaman and Ramp Druid (yeah, I also like the idea of putting big dudes into play). Is control well represented in AGOT? What about combo? In general, is the meta diverse?

2. How long do games last on average? For joust ? for Melee ?

3. What about melee ? One appeal of AGOT for me is that it seems playable with 3 players. Indeed, my playing group now basically comprises me and 2 friends. We already have quite a few good 2-player games, but we tend to lack good 3P games. We are all of MTG players so we love card games, but MTG-style games are usually not conducive to being played with 3P. I have read some widely diverging opinions about AGOT’s melee. Is king making really prevalent ? Do games take a really long time ? Is it necessary to build melee specific decks ? What about titles? I have review one review saying they added an extra layer of depth and other people recommending not playing with them.

4. Finally, in terms of depth (not depth related to card pool but to actual playing decision, breakdown between luck/skill...), compared to say, MTG, how would you rank AGOT ? Given that games seem to last much longer, I would not like to play for 1 hour and having the game decided by chance (I reckon it can arise...obviously this is a card game...but it must not arrive regularly)

5. Are most cards playable ? Or are there clearly inferior cards ?
6. On a related note, should I want to start playing semi-casually with my friends, what should I buy ? I guess 2 cores and a few expansions, but which ones ?

I thik the most important for me right now is point 3, i.e., the playability of Melee.

thanks for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Control is very well-represented by several factions, primarily Martell, Night's Watch, and Lannister.

2. Joust games are typically 25-55 minutes. Melee games are 30-40 minutes per player.

3. Kingmaking is not as big of a problem in thrones as mtg since the cards are designed around the melee format. You don't need to make specific melee decks, but it's usually worthwhile. Many cards that are great in Joust aren't as useful in melee and vice versa.

4. Thrones is deeper in terms of gameplay structure and deckbuilding, but mtg obviously has the vastly deeper cardpool.

5. Most cards are playable, but there are definitely still unplayable cards. It's not as bad as mtg in this regard.

6. If you want to play melee with friends, I would buy 3 cores and have each person pick a house to build a deck with. There are some starter deckbuilding guides on BGG, cardgamedb, and reddit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Zeb covered everything, except I'll pile-on your #4 question by saying that AGoT has a very deep skill-based decision space, due mostly to the game's structure rather than the cards. Though of course you can't have one without the other, so both naturally compliment each other.

Or IOW, even if you build a crappy deck, and if you're playing an opponent of equal skill, you can still have a very good game where your opponent must nonetheless outwit you to win. I brought an inferior deck to a recent FLGS tournament (because I'm not as much into the deckbuilding aspect as I am into the theme and gameplay), and I lost, yet it was still an interesting (and not short) game.

Now, playing with a crappy deck and a few bad draws will almost always tilt the game to the other guy. But those games will go quickly and you can get right back into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.