Subject: Tile Placement Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jayme Thysell
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm teaching myself the rules and generally testing out the game on Table Toptopia, and the setup on that website lead me to some questions that I might not have had from playing with the physical game.

1.) On Table Toptopia, the playing field suggests that the kingdoms should be built within a 5x5 grid. Is this a real constraint? Or can the kingdom spread out as much as we want it to?

2.) Stacking cards. From the rule on page 3 Perform Actions section, I understood that nothing can be stacked on top of castles or monsters OR when a dwarf is on a tile. But can any card of any type be stacked on top of another card of a different type? In the paragraph, it just says, "You place cards either adjacent or (if applicable) stacking on other cards." Off to the side, it says stack a card on top of another card of the same type. So you can't stack a tavern on top of a mine? It's not 100% clear. It seems like you should be able to stack a monster on top of anything, but if they must be of the same type then only dragons can stack on top of mines, and frost giants could only be placed in empty spots.

3.) Stacking cards. From the rulebook, I got the impression that you could stack the card oriented any way you wanted. Meaning the bottom card could be facing to the left, but the stacked card on top could be facing to the right (or any other direction). Just that once the card was played it could no longer be rotated, and it must remain in that orientation even when digging. On Table Toptopia, the stack cards on top are forced to be oriented/rotated in the same direction as the base card. Is Table Toptopia executing the rule for stacking cards orientation in the correct way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luís Brueh
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jayme! =)

1) you are free to lay out your tiles as you like it. But, with the playmat you will have a 6x6 grid (fits up to 7 players), and tabletopia (fits up to 4 players) a 5x5 grid. The constraint is nice to encourage interaction, but it is not a "must be done". With players that already have played the game a couple of times, lots of interaction will happen more often than not.

2) A tile can only be stacked on top of the same type of kingdom cards. Frost giants/treants/forest dragons can be stacked on top of memorial tiles also (memorial tiles comes with Royal decrees expansion). Dragons can only be stacked on top of mines. And the big bad wolf can be stacked on top of inns.

3) Unfortunately, Tabletopia forces wrong placing if it is perfectly stacked. The way to bypass it is to stack the kingdom cards slightly unaligned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayme Thysell
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for the well thought out response.

One follow up question. Does this mean Dragons can only stack on top of mines? I thought they can go in empty spaces too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luís Brueh
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Every kingdom card can be placed on empty spaces. But: they also can be stacked on top of its own type =D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yutat Chan
Canada
flag msg tools
can castles be stacked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Kevorque
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
In page three of the rule book it says that you can only stack cards of the types: Mine, House and Forest.

So, NO you can not stack "Castles".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.