Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
62 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: What are we here for. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we please stop having threads in general gaming (or come to that any other forum) about diversity, inclusivity or why we should not take the piss out of such threads.

That is what RSP is for.

We are here to discus boardgames, not boardgamers, not politics, BOARDGAMES. That is why we are all here.

Frankly these threads need to be locked as soon as they are created.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Can we please stop having threads in general gaming (or come to that any other forum) about diversity, inclusivity or why we should not take the piss out of such threads.

That is what RSP is for.

We are here to discus boardgames, not boardgamers, not politics, BOARDGAMES. That is why we are all here.

Frankly these threads need to be locked as soon as they are created.
To add

If one group can ask "why am I not being heard" and it is not political why should another groups thread "about not being heard" be so considered? Lets have some consistency in what does and does not get locked. Lets not have a situation where one group can shout as much as it likes, and another cannot even reply.

If we have threads outside of RSP discussing diversity or exclusion then we also have to allow a full and frank right of reply on those threads. Can the admins assure me that if I were to reply on (say) a thread about a group not having their voice heard I will not get moderated? My voice is as valid as anyone esles, and it is wrong and unjust if I cannot have a right of response.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure where I stand on this yet. I want to hear some other viewpoints on the matter. I'm not sure exactly what the guidelines are and what the scope of the "General Gaming" forum is. But, I'm glad you got the conversation started.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dale12 wrote:
I'm not sure where I stand on this yet. I want to hear some other viewpoints on the matter. I'm not sure exactly what the guidelines are and what the scope of the "General Gaming" forum is. But, I'm glad you got the conversation started.
Religion, Sex, and Politics
Discuss these topics here (only here!)

That is what the RSP forum says, if this is wrong that needs to be changed as it gives the wrong impression and makes it look like there is one rule for some views and one rule for others.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah I'm ticked off by the threads too but the reason they pass is because they started with social, not political, intent and there is some grey area
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Everything (almost) is political, so while I agree they are political, they are useful and important topics that don't deserve to be sent to RSP to die because most people avoid RSP like the plague.

Maybe that culture will change due to the bannings, but it will take some time before people are willing to give it a chance.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
yeah I'm ticked off by the threads too but the reason they pass is because they started with social, not political, intent and there is some grey area
Which is partly my point, if I a thread about say "But I disagree I do not see a problem" or "But I think this is funny, lol" is that also not a social statement?

Why is it that saying "I want to be heard" is acceptable but saying "LOL, I want to be heard too" is not?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Everything (almost) is political, so while I agree they are political, they are useful and important topics that don't deserve to be sent to RSP to die because most people avoid RSP like the plague.

Maybe that culture will change due to the bannings, but it will take some time before people are willing to give it a chance.
And so is responding to them, so again I ask the admins. No one sided or one way discussion is useful or valuable, no echo chamber ever is.

Can you respond in those threads and disagree with what they are saying?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Everything (almost) is political, so while I agree they are political, they are useful and important topics that don't deserve to be sent to RSP to die because most people avoid RSP like the plague.

Maybe that culture will change due to the bannings, but it will take some time before people are willing to give it a chance.
And so is responding to them, so again I ask the admins. No one sided or one way discussion is useful or valuable, no echo chamber ever is.

Can you respond in those threads and disagree with what they are saying?


No need to ask the admins. You absolutely can and plenty of people did. Some probably caught bans because they did so in rude, insulting manners, but plenty of the opposition remained civil.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Frankly these threads need to be locked as soon as they are created.

I'd be happy if they were immediately rerouted to RSP, but the principle is the same.

slatersteven wrote:
If we have threads outside of RSP discussing diversity or exclusion then we also have to allow a full and frank right of reply on those threads.

And absolutely this -- if TPTB decide that some topic is acceptable in a given forum, General Gaming in this example, then *both sides* of the topic must be acceptable.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Everything (almost) is political, so while I agree they are political, they are useful and important topics that don't deserve to be sent to RSP to die because most people avoid RSP like the plague.

Maybe that culture will change due to the bannings, but it will take some time before people are willing to give it a chance.
And so is responding to them, so again I ask the admins. No one sided or one way discussion is useful or valuable, no echo chamber ever is.

Can you respond in those threads and disagree with what they are saying?


No need to ask the admins. You absolutely can and plenty of people did. Some probably caught bans because they did so in rude, insulting manners, but plenty of the opposition remained civil.
And anything can be seen as rude and insulting, given what I have been blocked for.

That is the point, what is considered insulting is based upon how it is taken (not meant). I am not even willing to test it with a polite rejection just in case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Everything (almost) is political, so while I agree they are political, they are useful and important topics that don't deserve to be sent to RSP to die because most people avoid RSP like the plague.

Maybe that culture will change due to the bannings, but it will take some time before people are willing to give it a chance.
And so is responding to them, so again I ask the admins. No one sided or one way discussion is useful or valuable, no echo chamber ever is.

Can you respond in those threads and disagree with what they are saying?


No need to ask the admins. You absolutely can and plenty of people did. Some probably caught bans because they did so in rude, insulting manners, but plenty of the opposition remained civil.
And anything can be seen as rude and insulting, given what I have been blocked for.

That is the point, what is considered insulting is based upon how it is taken (not meant). I am not even willing to test it with a polite rejection just in case.


There is absolutely no way you would catch a ban for respectfully disagreeing with someone as long as you weren't outright racist, sexist, or bigoted in the process. So I'm not even sure what you're asking.

Are you that incapable of respectful discourse that you can't fathom a way to talk about LGBT issues without getting banned for it? I am very confused.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Everything (almost) is political, so while I agree they are political, they are useful and important topics that don't deserve to be sent to RSP to die because most people avoid RSP like the plague.

Maybe that culture will change due to the bannings, but it will take some time before people are willing to give it a chance.
And so is responding to them, so again I ask the admins. No one sided or one way discussion is useful or valuable, no echo chamber ever is.

Can you respond in those threads and disagree with what they are saying?


No need to ask the admins. You absolutely can and plenty of people did. Some probably caught bans because they did so in rude, insulting manners, but plenty of the opposition remained civil.
And anything can be seen as rude and insulting, given what I have been blocked for.

That is the point, what is considered insulting is based upon how it is taken (not meant). I am not even willing to test it with a polite rejection just in case.


There is absolutely no way you would catch a ban for respectfully disagreeing with someone as long as you weren't outright racist, sexist, or bigoted in the process. So I'm not even sure what you're asking.

Are you that incapable of respectful discourse that you can't fathom a way to talk about LGBT issues without getting banned for it? I am very confused.
I am asking an admin to confirm this. Let me ask you do you think that saying "I am unable to discus this here, as it is not the appropriate place" disrespectful?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
I am asking an admin to confirm this. Let me ask you do you think that saying "I am unable to discus this here, as it is not the appropriate place" disrespectful?


Why in the world would you bother participating in a thread in the first place if all you had to offer to said discussion was to chime in and say: "I am unable to discuss this here, as it is not the appropriate place"?

Even if it's not disrespectful, it might as well be labeled spam.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
I am asking an admin to confirm this. Let me ask you do you think that saying "I am unable to discus this here, as it is not the appropriate place" disrespectful?


Why in the world would you bother participating in a thread in the first place if all you had to offer to said discussion was to chime in and say: "I am unable to discuss this here, as it is not the appropriate place"?

Even if it's not disrespectful, it might as well be labeled spam.
Is it disrespectful (come to that how is it spam?)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
I am asking an admin to confirm this. Let me ask you do you think that saying "I am unable to discus this here, as it is not the appropriate place" disrespectful?


Why in the world would you bother participating in a thread in the first place if all you had to offer to said discussion was to chime in and say: "I am unable to discuss this here, as it is not the appropriate place"?

Even if it's not disrespectful, it might as well be labeled spam.
Is it disrespectful?


In a way, yes, because spam wastes everyone's time.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
I am asking an admin to confirm this. Let me ask you do you think that saying "I am unable to discus this here, as it is not the appropriate place" disrespectful?


Why in the world would you bother participating in a thread in the first place if all you had to offer to said discussion was to chime in and say: "I am unable to discuss this here, as it is not the appropriate place"?

Even if it's not disrespectful, it might as well be labeled spam.
Is it disrespectful?


In a way, yes, because spam wastes everyone's time.
It is one message, so how is that spam? I cannot say that I think I cannot respond but would like to be able to?

Again I note no admin has agreed with you that I could have responded to those threads in an appropriate way and not got a ban just becasue I challenged someones deeply help opinions. Now do you see why I am unsure of your statement that I could disagree with certain deeply held views and not risk a ban for being "spammish" (for example)?.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If change around this can't be agreed upon, it seems the best way to handle this would be to not open those threads at all. People who want to indulge in the conversation can and the rest of us can just skip over it to a thread about board games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dale12 wrote:
If change around this can't be agreed upon, it seems the best way to handle this would be to not open those threads at all. People who want to indulge in the conversation can and the rest of us can just skip over it to a thread about board games.
That could have been said about the threads that were locked as well, or indeed any thread.

This is about consistency of application if policy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
dale12 wrote:
If change around this can't be agreed upon, it seems the best way to handle this would be to not open those threads at all. People who want to indulge in the conversation can and the rest of us can just skip over it to a thread about board games.
That could have been said about the threads that were locked as well, or indeed any thread.

This is about consistency of application if policy.


Gotcha. I see your point and agree.

Although I think you were making two points. One that you don't want to see them and two that if you have to see them, you want to be able to respectfully disagree without being reprimanded.

I can wholeheartedly agree with point number two.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
I am asking an admin to confirm this. Let me ask you do you think that saying "I am unable to discus this here, as it is not the appropriate place" disrespectful?


Why in the world would you bother participating in a thread in the first place if all you had to offer to said discussion was to chime in and say: "I am unable to discuss this here, as it is not the appropriate place"?

Even if it's not disrespectful, it might as well be labeled spam.
Is it disrespectful?


In a way, yes, because spam wastes everyone's time.
It is one message, so how is that spam? I cannot say that I think I cannot respond but would like to be able to?

Again I note no admin has agreed with you that I could have responded to those threads in an appropriate way and not got a ban just becasue I challenged someones deeply help opinions. Now do you see why I am unsure of your statement that I could disagree with certain deeply held views and not risk a ban for being "spammish" (for example)?.


It's spam because it offers NOTHING to the conversation other than to say "I don't think I can express my opinion without getting banned."

Why do I think it's possible to participate in such a discussion and not get banned? Because like 30 people just participated in a discussion on deeply held opinions and the only one or two that got bans were overtly bigoted or rude.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
I am asking an admin to confirm this. Let me ask you do you think that saying "I am unable to discus this here, as it is not the appropriate place" disrespectful?


Why in the world would you bother participating in a thread in the first place if all you had to offer to said discussion was to chime in and say: "I am unable to discuss this here, as it is not the appropriate place"?

Even if it's not disrespectful, it might as well be labeled spam.
Is it disrespectful?


In a way, yes, because spam wastes everyone's time.
It is one message, so how is that spam? I cannot say that I think I cannot respond but would like to be able to?

Again I note no admin has agreed with you that I could have responded to those threads in an appropriate way and not got a ban just becasue I challenged someones deeply help opinions. Now do you see why I am unsure of your statement that I could disagree with certain deeply held views and not risk a ban for being "spammish" (for example)?.


It's spam because it offers NOTHING to the conversation other than to say "I don't think I can express my opinion without getting banned."

Why do I think it's possible to participate in such a discussion and not get banned? Because like 30 people just participated in a discussion on deeply held opinions and the only one or two that got bans were overtly bigoted or rude.


If this is the case and we have proven examples, (is it worth posting the link to the thread you're referring to ?) then I'm not seeing what the issue is. Unless it's just that he doesn't want to see this topic in "General Gaming" which is a valid question to raise.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ratimir Ismailobrat
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's in the wrong forum, then red X, "Wrong Forum". Simple.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
I am asking an admin to confirm this. Let me ask you do you think that saying "I am unable to discus this here, as it is not the appropriate place" disrespectful?


Why in the world would you bother participating in a thread in the first place if all you had to offer to said discussion was to chime in and say: "I am unable to discuss this here, as it is not the appropriate place"?

Even if it's not disrespectful, it might as well be labeled spam.
Is it disrespectful?


In a way, yes, because spam wastes everyone's time.
It is one message, so how is that spam? I cannot say that I think I cannot respond but would like to be able to?

Again I note no admin has agreed with you that I could have responded to those threads in an appropriate way and not got a ban just becasue I challenged someones deeply help opinions. Now do you see why I am unsure of your statement that I could disagree with certain deeply held views and not risk a ban for being "spammish" (for example)?.


It's spam because it offers NOTHING to the conversation other than to say "I don't think I can express my opinion without getting banned."

Why do I think it's possible to participate in such a discussion and not get banned? Because like 30 people just participated in a discussion on deeply held opinions and the only one or two that got bans were overtly bigoted or rude.
Which is an honest opinion, in the same way I might say "I cannot discus this here" if I am talking about sex in front of a laid of six year olds. It's called "saying I have an opinion but fell I cannot express it".

It is a valid statement. As to 30 people expressing a view, how many of those disagreed with the premise of the thread? Also without knowing what somone got banned for how do I know that is "overtly bigoted or rude"? I know what "bigoted or rude" is, but "overtly" seems a tad subjective to me.

As An exanple I think you are being rude, are you being overtly rude?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This side chat about whether or not this comment is spam has derailed the conversation. Has it not?

Can we get back on point?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.