Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
62 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: What are we here for. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
I am asking an admin to confirm this. Let me ask you do you think that saying "I am unable to discus this here, as it is not the appropriate place" disrespectful?


Why in the world would you bother participating in a thread in the first place if all you had to offer to said discussion was to chime in and say: "I am unable to discuss this here, as it is not the appropriate place"?

Even if it's not disrespectful, it might as well be labeled spam.
Is it disrespectful?


In a way, yes, because spam wastes everyone's time.
It is one message, so how is that spam? I cannot say that I think I cannot respond but would like to be able to?

Again I note no admin has agreed with you that I could have responded to those threads in an appropriate way and not got a ban just becasue I challenged someones deeply help opinions. Now do you see why I am unsure of your statement that I could disagree with certain deeply held views and not risk a ban for being "spammish" (for example)?.


It's spam because it offers NOTHING to the conversation other than to say "I don't think I can express my opinion without getting banned."

Why do I think it's possible to participate in such a discussion and not get banned? Because like 30 people just participated in a discussion on deeply held opinions and the only one or two that got bans were overtly bigoted or rude.
Which is an honest opinion, in the same way I might say "I cannot discus this here" if I am talking about sex in front of a laid of six year olds. It's called "saying I have an opinion but fell I cannot express it".

It is a valid statement. As to 30 people expressing a view, how many of those disagreed with the premise of the thread? Also without knowing what somone got banned for how do I know that is "overtly bigoted or rude"? I know what "bigoted or rude" is, but "overtly" seems a tad subjective to me.

As An exanple I think you are being rude, are you being overtly rude?


It's a valid statement, but why do you think it needs to be made? What does it offer to the thread or the discourse?

If you're just saying it doesn't belong in General Gaming, the red X is there for that.

As for what is overtly bigoted and rude, read the thread for yourself.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1740749/there-lgtbq-voice-b...

Note I don't know for a fact that people got suspensions for being bigoted or rude, that was conjecture on my part.

But certainly the 50+ people who have participated did not all receive suspensions. I know because I did and I haven't.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
I am asking an admin to confirm this. Let me ask you do you think that saying "I am unable to discus this here, as it is not the appropriate place" disrespectful?


Why in the world would you bother participating in a thread in the first place if all you had to offer to said discussion was to chime in and say: "I am unable to discuss this here, as it is not the appropriate place"?

Even if it's not disrespectful, it might as well be labeled spam.
Is it disrespectful?


In a way, yes, because spam wastes everyone's time.
It is one message, so how is that spam? I cannot say that I think I cannot respond but would like to be able to?

Again I note no admin has agreed with you that I could have responded to those threads in an appropriate way and not got a ban just becasue I challenged someones deeply help opinions. Now do you see why I am unsure of your statement that I could disagree with certain deeply held views and not risk a ban for being "spammish" (for example)?.


It's spam because it offers NOTHING to the conversation other than to say "I don't think I can express my opinion without getting banned."

Why do I think it's possible to participate in such a discussion and not get banned? Because like 30 people just participated in a discussion on deeply held opinions and the only one or two that got bans were overtly bigoted or rude.
Which is an honest opinion, in the same way I might say "I cannot discus this here" if I am talking about sex in front of a laid of six year olds. It's called "saying I have an opinion but fell I cannot express it".

It is a valid statement. As to 30 people expressing a view, how many of those disagreed with the premise of the thread? Also without knowing what somone got banned for how do I know that is "overtly bigoted or rude"? I know what "bigoted or rude" is, but "overtly" seems a tad subjective to me.

As An exanple I think you are being rude, are you being overtly rude?


It's a valid statement, but why do you think it needs to be made? What does it offer to the thread or the discourse?

If you're just saying it doesn't belong in General Gaming, the red X is there for that.

As for what is overtly bigoted and rude, read the thread for yourself.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1740749/there-lgtbq-voice-b...

Note I don't know for a fact that people got suspensions for being bigoted or rude, that was conjecture on my part.

But certainly the 50+ people who have participated did not all receive suspensions. I know because I did and I haven't.
Are you disagreeing with the OP's point in that thread?

And what (in your opinion) was bigoted or rude?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Can we please stop having threads in general gaming (or come to that any other forum) about diversity, inclusivity or why we should not take the piss out of such threads.

That is what RSP is for.


I don't see the connection between diversity and inclusivity and RSP. It's not religion or sex, and talking about including people and voices in the community doesn't have anything to do with government/politics.

Moreover, general gaming is a forum for "General discussion about the gaming hobby". It's not just about games themselves.
8 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Are you disagreeing with the OP's point in that thread?

And what (in your opinion) was bigoted or rude?


Okay I can't read the thread for you nor will I search through to find the valid quotes. I provided the link, feel free to read it at your leisure.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
McJarvis wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Can we please stop having threads in general gaming (or come to that any other forum) about diversity, inclusivity or why we should not take the piss out of such threads.

That is what RSP is for.


I don't see the connection between diversity and inclusivity and RSP. It's not religion or sex, and talking about including people and voices in the community doesn't have anything to do with government/politics.

Moreover, general gaming is a forum for "General discussion about the gaming hobby". It's not just about games themselves.
It's called Gender Politics, Identity politics, Gamergate (was that not political?).

Maybe at it's most basic level (I want to be included) may not be political. It's actual implementation (with laws and rules) is. Thus any such discussion must touch on both Sex (in terms of sexual orientation) and politics, and this leaves out the religious nature of many peoples objections to "lifestyle" of choice.

It is not where it stars, it is where it will end up (look at some of the posts in the thread linked to above).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Are you disagreeing with the OP's point in that thread?

And what (in your opinion) was bigoted or rude?


Okay I can't read the thread for you nor will I search through to find the valid quotes. I provided the link, feel free to read it at your leisure.
So you have to read your comments to know what you were saying?

You are unable to find one quote you think was bigoted? I am asking what you think is a banable offense so I can see if I agree. It does not matter what I think maybe, it maybe far more lenient then you (or the admins).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Are you disagreeing with the OP's point in that thread?

And what (in your opinion) was bigoted or rude?


Okay I can't read the thread for you nor will I search through to find the valid quotes. I provided the link, feel free to read it at your leisure.
So you have to read your comments to know what you were saying?

You are unable to find one quote you think was bigoted? I am asking what you think is a banable offense so I can see if I agree. It does not matter what I think maybe, it maybe far more lenient then you (or the admins).


I provided the link, feel free to read it at your leisure.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
McJarvis wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Can we please stop having threads in general gaming (or come to that any other forum) about diversity, inclusivity or why we should not take the piss out of such threads.

That is what RSP is for.


I don't see the connection between diversity and inclusivity and RSP. It's not religion or sex, and talking about including people and voices in the community doesn't have anything to do with government/politics.

Moreover, general gaming is a forum for "General discussion about the gaming hobby". It's not just about games themselves.
It's called Gender Politics, Identity politics, Gamergate (was that not political?).


There are ways that gender, identity, and harassment-of-video-game-reviewers are impacted by governmental policies, but that doesn't mean all discussions of these issues are political. If they were, we wouldn't be able to discuss board games themselves since the government regulates the industry on various levels.


6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This film's crap, let's slash the seats
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So are we going to stop discussing board gamers entirely? Ban any discussion of people's occupations or gaming with their families?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Are you disagreeing with the OP's point in that thread?

And what (in your opinion) was bigoted or rude?


Okay I can't read the thread for you nor will I search through to find the valid quotes. I provided the link, feel free to read it at your leisure.
So you have to read your comments to know what you were saying?

You are unable to find one quote you think was bigoted? I am asking what you think is a banable offense so I can see if I agree. It does not matter what I think maybe, it maybe far more lenient then you (or the admins).


I provided the link, feel free to read it at your leisure.
As far as I can tell you agree with the OP, so if (as I am suggesting) I would get a ban if I disagreed) then this proves sod all abut me being wrong.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Maybe at it's most basic level (I want to be included) may not be political. It's actual implementation (with laws and rules) is. Thus any such discussion must touch on both Sex (in terms of sexual orientation) and politics, and this leaves out the religious nature of many peoples objections to "lifestyle" of choice.


I haven't been reading the discussions in-depth. If they are advocating for governmental laws, then that's something that should be in RSP. If they are asking for voluntary community change, that would not be RSP--- it's not laws or rules. (and rules for BGG specifically wouldn't belong in RSP either, for clarification's sake.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ratimir Ismailobrat
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So why wasn't that thread in RSP?

Because it wasn't about Religion, wasn't about Sex and wasn't about Politics.

It was about boardgamers talking about boardgaming and the boardgaming community.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
So are we going to stop discussing board gamers entirely? Ban any discussion of people's occupations or gaming with their families?
No, I am saying that policy has to be applied evenly.

If I feel that my voice is not being heard (for example) I should be as able to start up a thread in general gaming as anyone else, and not have it locked.

If a thread is not meant to be political, do not make politicized statements about bigotry or sexism. If rudeness is not allowed then do not call other users bigoted or sexist.

Apply the rule evenly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ratimir wrote:
So why wasn't that thread in RSP?

Because it wasn't about Religion, wasn't about Sex and wasn't about Politics.

It was about boardgamers talking about boardgaming and the boardgaming community.
"People are often prejudiced against what they're not familiar with, and you have the opportunity to help people become familiar with a gay person in a setting they're familiar with." How is that about gaming?

This was in tghe 8th post, and it is clearly about using gaming as a toll to affect social attitudes outside of gaming. It has sod all to do with gaming.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ratimir Ismailobrat
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP in that thread:
gashakasha wrote:
Hi folks,

I've been thinking about something for a while. It started as curiosity, then a hunt for the gay gamers/reviews/pov in the board gaming community. Having come up with little more than a handful I put it to you: is there a lgbtq voice in the board gaming community? Is there a need for one? Do you feel that gaming is a great equalizer, bringing all people to the table without a need to address things like that directly? What value could such a voice have?


Please show me the "politicized statements about bigotry or sexism".

You can argue that the thread should have been shunted to RSP later if you like, but it definitely started in the right place.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ratimir wrote:
The OP in that thread:
gashakasha wrote:
Hi folks,

I've been thinking about something for a while. It started as curiosity, then a hunt for the gay gamers/reviews/pov in the board gaming community. Having come up with little more than a handful I put it to you: is there a lgbtq voice in the board gaming community? Is there a need for one? Do you feel that gaming is a great equalizer, bringing all people to the table without a need to address things like that directly? What value could such a voice have?


Please show me the "politicized statements about bigotry or sexism".

You can argue that the thread should have been shunted to RSP later if you like, but it definitely started in the right place.
What was political about this post?

Quote:
Sometimes, as an out-of-shape white male, I feel like I'm under-represented in the board gaming community.

Can anyone suggest blogs or podcasts headed by out-of-shape white males that I could follow? Thanks!



[For everyone who will be devastatingly offended by this - it's meant to back up the LGBTQ post and re-emphasize that we need MORE inclusiveness in the hobby]


It may have been a shit joke (or someone triyng to make a point bout how we do not in fact really have a voice that can be heard above the din, who knows), but should it have been locked?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ratimir Ismailobrat
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
ratimir wrote:
So why wasn't that thread in RSP?

Because it wasn't about Religion, wasn't about Sex and wasn't about Politics.

It was about boardgamers talking about boardgaming and the boardgaming community.
It has sod all to do with gaming.


It has even less to do with R, S or P.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
ratimir wrote:
The OP in that thread:
gashakasha wrote:
Hi folks,

I've been thinking about something for a while. It started as curiosity, then a hunt for the gay gamers/reviews/pov in the board gaming community. Having come up with little more than a handful I put it to you: is there a lgbtq voice in the board gaming community? Is there a need for one? Do you feel that gaming is a great equalizer, bringing all people to the table without a need to address things like that directly? What value could such a voice have?


Please show me the "politicized statements about bigotry or sexism".

You can argue that the thread should have been shunted to RSP later if you like, but it definitely started in the right place.
What was political about this post?

Quote:
Sometimes, as an out-of-shape white male, I feel like I'm under-represented in the board gaming community.

Can anyone suggest blogs or podcasts headed by out-of-shape white males that I could follow? Thanks!



[For everyone who will be devastatingly offended by this - it's meant to back up the LGBTQ post and re-emphasize that we need MORE inclusiveness in the hobby]


It may have been a shit joke (or someone triyng to make a point bout how we do not in fact really have a voice that can be heard above the din, who knows), but should it have been locked?



I'm sure you had good intentions, but the post reads a bit trollish because it appears to be a glib attempt to undermine the importance of the issue being discussed in the thread.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ratimir wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
ratimir wrote:
So why wasn't that thread in RSP?

Because it wasn't about Religion, wasn't about Sex and wasn't about Politics.

It was about boardgamers talking about boardgaming and the boardgaming community.
It has sod all to do with gaming.


It has even less to do with R, S or P.
Well we will have to agree to disagree that disusing matters about prejudice are not political.

Also (just on the first page) we have mentions of "traditional values" (A common political and religious rallying cry), male dominated nations (politics), the KKK (not political at all that).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Are you disagreeing with the OP's point in that thread?

And what (in your opinion) was bigoted or rude?


Okay I can't read the thread for you nor will I search through to find the valid quotes. I provided the link, feel free to read it at your leisure.
So you have to read your comments to know what you were saying?

You are unable to find one quote you think was bigoted? I am asking what you think is a banable offense so I can see if I agree. It does not matter what I think maybe, it maybe far more lenient then you (or the admins).


I provided the link, feel free to read it at your leisure.
As far as I can tell you agree with the OP, so if (as I am suggesting) I would get a ban if I disagreed) then this proves sod all abut me being wrong.



Why would you think disagreeing with the OP would get you banned? Produce one iota of evidence to that.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brudz
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmb
slatersteven wrote:
It's called Gender Politics, Identity politics, Gamergate (was that not political?).

Tagging things you disagree with as "political" is dismissive of the discussion as a whole. Just because people have strong feelings for or against a topic does not inherently mean that the topic is political. Discussing culture at the interpersonal level is not political although people with political leanings tend to have predictable opinions. The "political" tag should be reserved for things that relate to the government (e.g. Equal Rights Amendment).

Also you realize you don't have to read these type of threads or respond to them.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Are you disagreeing with the OP's point in that thread?

And what (in your opinion) was bigoted or rude?


Okay I can't read the thread for you nor will I search through to find the valid quotes. I provided the link, feel free to read it at your leisure.
So you have to read your comments to know what you were saying?

You are unable to find one quote you think was bigoted? I am asking what you think is a banable offense so I can see if I agree. It does not matter what I think maybe, it maybe far more lenient then you (or the admins).


I provided the link, feel free to read it at your leisure.
As far as I can tell you agree with the OP, so if (as I am suggesting) I would get a ban if I disagreed) then this proves sod all abut me being wrong.



Why would you think disagreeing with the OP would get you banned? Produce one iota of evidence to that.
OK

No admin has said I would not be.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:


No admin has said I would not be.


That's not evidence because you have no reason to believe that you WOULD be.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PBrudz wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
It's called Gender Politics, Identity politics, Gamergate (was that not political?).

Tagging things you disagree with as "political" is dismissive of the discussion as a whole. Just because people have strong feelings for against a topic does not inherently mean that the topic is political. Discussing culture at the interpersonal level is not political although people with political leanings tend to have predictable opinions. The "political" tag should be reserved for things that relate to the government (e.g. Equal Rights Amendment).

Also you realize you don't have to read these type of threads or respond to them.
Well as no admin has shown up I think the discussion is not being taken notice of.

No reason to continue.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
Avatar
mbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Can we please stop having threads in general gaming (or come to that any other forum) about diversity, inclusivity or why we should not take the piss out of such threads.



Can you please stop mentioning RSP in every thread response you make?
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.