Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre Ribera
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since my partner isn't really into board games (I work too late to get in with a game group) I don't get to really play any games during the week. So, I've been playing a lot of board games on my phone (e.g. Splendor, Star Realms, etc.). I am also trying to get 365 plays in this year so I'm having a hard time reconciling the two. I feel like I should only log cardboard plays but what about you? Do you log plays from the board game apps? Why or why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel L
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't log plays but if I did I would count digital plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Kessinger
United States
Smiths Grove
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see a problem with logging them. There are many games that a digital copy gives people without a gaming group the opportunity to play that they couldn't play solo.

I owned Settlers of Catan for years with only a handful of plays because board gaming wasn't popular in my area, but played the Xbox version hundreds of times with people from all over or just simply against the computer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not. For whatever reason I'm more interested in knowing about my f2f plays than my app plays, but really it's up to you. I certainly don't mind/care if other people log their plays vs. AIs, or against virtual opponents, or the times they just played a game in their head for 30 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any issue with logging them, as playing it digitally isn't any less legitimate than playing it on a table.

That said, I would be logging all the time if I logged my digital plays. I probably get in 2 or 3 games every day on my ipad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting plays in can be hard enough for games. I add them in for digital plays as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This article provides a pretty useful summary on what some of the views are on logging plays.

I personally only log plays of F2F games since I want to get an accurate view of how often I'm playing the games that I physically own (with maybe the side goal of seeing the win statistics from those plays). Obviously, that excludes apps or playing online via sites like Board Game Arena for me, although I do play on both frequently as well.

Ultimately, the guiding answer for you will be what information you want to gather from your logged plays? If it's just how many times you've played a game period, without regards to whether F2F, via an app, or even on an app versus an AI, than by all means go ahead and log everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally do not. It's just a mental line I've drawn that it needs to be the physical board game to count. Perhaps in the future I will adjust or amend that line (like when the Onirim app comes out) but for now this works for me.

However I also think that logged plays are mostly for your own benefit and you can use them in a manner that works best for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not count digital plays, but have no problem for anyone who does. I also am interested in just my physical plays and a small part of me worries that if I logged all digital plays...it would would put a spotlight on the fact that I play more digital than physical games...LOL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only log digital plays if it is against another human opponent or it supports solo play (e.g. Pandemic).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For my purposes I only log physical plays, not digital ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sometimes log plays for apps, but I make sure to write somewhere that it was an app play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
jhaimowitz wrote:
I only log digital plays if it is against another human opponent or it supports solo play (e.g. Pandemic).

This is what I do as well.

But as others note, logging is for your entertainment, so feel encouraged to do what you makes sense to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I don't, but I don't have a compelling reason why. I think it's the fact that I'm playing an ai or two, and on easy, and they beat me beacause my brain doesn't grasp the digital space as well.

In short, it's fundamentally not the same game.

But that's my reason, but you can log plays of digital implementations if you want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.