Twilight Struggle» Forums » General

Subject: Theses events that always go wrong for you rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ray donovan
msg tools
mb
Nuclear subs:

When my opponents headline this card, it seems that they often make spectaculars come back in Africa and I never have good hands to put pressure somewhere.
Last time I tried to headline it as USA (I am not doing it very often), USSR played SALT AR1 and also got a free pass for CIA later on the turn. I couped 3 battlegrounds and rolled 1/2/1, he successfully couped 2 times.

FYP
When USA headline this card turn1 against me, It act as a Marshall or Destal magnet ninja
The few times I tried this move boom truman or indepedents reds!
I remember a game vs a strong players, I knew he had cia+destal turn3. He couped AR1 (denying VP +africa decolonised protection).
Asia was locked so I triggered FYP event ar1 to force him to play the china card. I crossed my fingers and hoped to draw anything but CIA (destal would have been fantastic) and I drew...Duck and cover that was already been played turn1 or 2. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rodawig
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mb
I'm about 80/20 against RSP being played on me vs my opponent over my last several games. One game my opponent's T1-T3 headlines were RSP, Containment, and RSP!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
I always...and I mean always...forget that We Will Bury You degrades DefCon. I have lost because of that at least half a dozen times.

The point is, I am a dope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Jen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never trust the dice. They're planning something.

So things like Quagmire/Bear Trap, I will always space if I can - unless I'm absolutely going to DEFCON suicide with my hand otherwise.

I've seen enough "opponent escapes in one AR; I'm stuck rolling 5s and 6s for a whole turn" scenarios to know that QM/BT never ever works out the way you hope it will.

This is one part of the game I would just redesign entirely. Something like giving the roll a bonus of 1 per failed AR would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Sparks
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mb
YassWaddah wrote:
I never trust the dice. They're planning something.

So things like Quagmire/Bear Trap, I will always space if I can - unless I'm absolutely going to DEFCON suicide with my hand otherwise.

I've seen enough "opponent escapes in one AR; I'm stuck rolling 5s and 6s for a whole turn" scenarios to know that QM/BT never ever works out the way you hope it will.

This is one part of the game I would just redesign entirely. Something like giving the roll a bonus of 1 per failed AR would be nice.

Agree. The only time I really ever play Quagmire/Bear Trap is on myself if I have a really, really bad hand... that is play my opponent's version of the card to burn through the bad ones. And by bad ones I mean if you have multiple cards that can cause you to lose through DEFCON and you can't mitigate all of them by holding on to one and/or spacing one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Spaniel
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YassWaddah wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly. The other event that hoses me with regularity is Korean War. It is almost always a 1 in 6 to succeed and probably happens to me (not for me) 75% of the time. I think a single card play that can cancel an entire turn of actions is generally bad, but I still enjoy the game. I assume when people had a horrendous experience play TS, they had the Quagmire/Bear Trap into oblivion, or just played against someone that could foresee every card play and offered them no handicap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I once got Bear Trapped for 7 ARs, and it was a qualifier for a national event ninja ninja

When things can go wrong... they will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Jen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you win the game though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Jen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not for the actual board game, more for the mobile app.

I have the Turn Zero add-on for the app. Playing as the USSR, I've started numerous games and I have found the dice rolls for the Turn Zero crises have been weirdly skewed.

I literally ended up with "6" die roll result for the Yalta crisis for the FOUR most recent games. Each time, I bid the "cancel enemy card" card for Yalta crisis, so that means the only way to reach a 6 result is to have a natural die roll of 6.

The odds of this happening naturally are something to the order of 1 in 1296.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.