Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
The following only has spoilers if you have not read the instructions and are aware of the various game end upgrades. Not really spoilers in my opinion but I will treat them as such, just in case.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
This is sort of a mute point because we lost our last game, however we were so close that the next player drew cards to see what would have happened had we survived one more turn. The first card gave him enough cards to cure the final disease... a disease that could be cured immediately due to eradication upgrades. The second card was an epidemic which would have most certainly caused us to lose.

Had he drawn both at the same time, what order do they get resolved in? Does the order of the cards (ie which was on top) matter? Would the outcome change if he drew the cards one at a time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think - although would need to spend more time checking to be sure - that the ordering is as follows:

- Draw two cards simultaneously
- Resolve Epidemic: increase, infect, intensify.
- If you haven't yet lost, then before starting the Infection phase, you can cure the disease and declare victory.

So if the Epidemic Infect step (drawing the bottom card and placing three cubes/potential outbreak) would have caused a loss, then you would lose. However, if not, you can win before drawing any cards from the newly reset Infection deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler B
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon is right. Drawing of the Epidemic card triggers the Epidemic. And both cards are drawn simultaneously. You cannot draw one at a time to get around the pending Epidemic.

The Epidemic is:
1 - move infection rate marker
2 - draw bottom of infection deck and place 3 cubes
3 - shuffle infection discard and place on top

You must complete all 3 steps before doing anything else once the Epidemic is triggered. (The exception being some events that explicitly say you can play between infect and intensify step, like Resilient Population).

Once the three steps are complete, you would be allowed to play any events or other out of turn things before the infection step of your friend's turn. So unless you would have lost in one of those three steps (step 2), then you could have won.

We had a similar situation in our last game (March) where we were holding onto the last cure trying to get 3 eradicated diseases. I actually had 6 cards in my hand for the cure. My wife drew an epidemic. We completed the entire epidemic resolution then cured before her turns infect stage to make sure we didn't lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
I agree.

Two minor extra things to note:

If you can't draw two cards, the game ends at once; if there is only one card remaining, you do not draw it.

As a special exception, in the rare circumstance that you draw two Epidemics, you are allowed to play events between resolving the first and resolving the second. (But not to do anything else.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler B
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:

As a special exception, in the rare circumstance that you draw two Epidemics, you are allowed to play events between resolving the first and resolving the second. (But not to do anything else.)

Interesting. So is this an Event Card only exception? Or would it apply to the situation in the original post, that is curing out of turn? Is this in any official FAQ/errata/etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
I don't believe it would apply to curing out of turn. Not that the situation will ever arise: if you draw two Epidemics you're no closer to a cure than you were before!

Edit: I spoke too soon. February spoilers:
One player could play an Unfunded Event between the two Epidemics, then their Rival could discard two cards to take it, thereby completing a set of cards needed for a cure. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't let them achieve the cure before dealing with the second Epidemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler B
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
I don't believe it would apply to curing out of turn. Not that the situation will ever arise: if you draw two Epidemics you're no closer to a cure than you were before!

Edit: I spoke too soon. February spoilers:
One player could play an Unfunded Event between the two Epidemics, then their Rival could discard two cards to take it, thereby completing a set of cards needed for a cure. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't let them achieve the cure before dealing with the second Epidemic.

Just because you have a cure doesn't mean you need to play the cure. In my last game we sat on the final cure for a couple rounds trying to eradicate all diseases. Epidemic came up. We resolved it. We cured final disease to end game before infection step of turn. If there were two epidemics drawn, could the cure come between them? Or would both be resolved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
scottishduck wrote:
Just because you have a cure doesn't mean you need to play the cure.

While I agree that curing ought to be optional, even when it doesn't take an action, I get the impression from some of the forum discussions that it actually happens automatically whether you want it to or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler B
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
scottishduck wrote:
Just because you have a cure doesn't mean you need to play the cure.

While I agree that curing ought to be optional, even when it doesn't take an action, I get the impression from some of the forum discussions that it actually happens automatically whether you want it to or not.

hmm.. I don't see why that is the case.

"Efficient to Sequence: You no longer need to spend an action to Discover a Cure for this disease."

Matt Leacock: "This can be done at any time during the course of play, even if it's not your turn. (So, no, you can't do it during setup, before the game as technically begun.) And since you can't interrupt the resolution of a card with other activities, you can't do this in between the steps of an Epidemic."

"This CAN be done at any time..." to me, this is not the same as something automatically occurring. It sounds like a choice, like you also CAN NOT in addition to CAN... Matt doesn't say, "This MUST be done once you have the cards." He also doesn't say, "This occurs automatically as soon as the resolution of all other cards is complete."

Edit:
Clive, I've started a new thread to continue this discussion here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.