Jimmy Moreno
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The reason I am asking this is because a friend wants to stream a game (he gets a couple thousand viewers and makes his living doing this.) but doesnt want to get his twitch account DMCAd. We both own the Print and play copy of the game and physical copy. So would there be anything against copyright laws that would prevent us from playing the game for personal use on TTS with a mod made from the PnP assets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Doyle
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
I would say no. Owning a physical copy does not give you the rights to a digital copy.
Just because I own a physical copy of a book, does not mean I have the right to download and read that book on my kindle with out buying the digital version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bückeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
get off my avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Can I legally play a game on TTS if I oas far wn the print and play version of the game?
Maybe ask the publisher of the games. There are some official releases on steam, f.e. scythe
And also custom-made releases by users. Most publishers are ok with those version,
other arent and demand that those are taken off steam. So best way is to play an official
release or ask the publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you buy a physical copy of a board game your just buying a product, nothing more.
TTS gave people the tools to make their own content and its been used to copy other's work. This has no legal standing. Its not not turned into a fight yet because TTS was (still is I think, I haven't used it in quite a while) having a positive impact. The negative possibility here is that TTS might cut into the game's owner might have a competing app.

It really boils down to ask the publisher of the game. If you think they will say no, maybe try to sell them on the idea that you showing off their game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bay
United States
Atlanta
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
TTS gave people the tools to make their own content and its been used to copy other's work. This has no legal standing.

How is that any different than VASSAL, Cyberboard, Sun Tzu, or Aide de Camp?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.