Brian Snyder
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Recently I’ve been playing Hockey Blast Pro Hockey Game and really enjoying it. It's a hockey simulation game like the old Stratomatic type with a cool real-life-game feel. A lot of fun if you’re a hockey fan, or just a sports enthusiast. This game is played on a rink populated by these tiny player cards, with each card packed with player stats and playmaking abilities. The cards specifically feature a shot and assist rating (shown as filled stars, empty stars, and scissors), any number of 6 possible keywords (Power, Speed, Skill, etc.), some playmaking symbols used in various situations, and finally some basic ratings (fight rating, face off ability, injury rating, and penalty susceptibility). Below is an example of a player card:

Nothing wrong with the cards, they work perfectly to convey all the information needed to play a game. BUT, I thought I could enhance these a bit and make a fun project out of it. I started by deciding on teams to work up. The company has some great free content in the form of PDFs, and I liked the 2014 Sochi Olympics card-set. 12 full country teams of 25 hockey player cards – 300 total. Everything needed to re-create the tournament for the gold! After a few weeks of fiddling with designs, I landed on one I liked and ran with it:

The stars and scissors for shot and assist ratings were replaced by boxes that run along the top edges of the cards, with the scissors symbol being replaced by a box with a slash through it. The playmaking symbols were moved to the bottom of the card to keep things from being too cluttered. Also added some styled lines between all the information to visually separate all the info. The goalie cards have different stats altogether so are laid out a bit differently, but still use the standard boxes like the other player positions. I added a goalie mask silhouette for flair as well. Each country team color was styled to correspond with the jerseys the players wore, some examples:

Here’s all the team colors and designs:

The biggest effort by far was taking these templates and filling in all the individual player info, then laying them out on sheets to print. But, having finished that and utilizing a paper cutter I have access to at work, I’m up and running on my tournament replay with thematic player cards! All in all this project took me a solid month or so in design and production, but was quite enjoyable. I’ve been playing around with the idea of making some NHL teams in this format as well, once I finish up my Olympics run-through.

Anyway, just thought I would share with the community here. Maybe some hockey fans out there will get a kick out of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Topher
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It looks like the time you spent on design was well worth it. These look awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Melnyk
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are sweet. Would be interested to watch gameplay with these cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Snyder
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Haven't tried making videos yet, but will be playing a session and posting results in this month's SGOYT list. I'll take some pics and post a link here when complete. You can at least see the cards out on the rink board and how the game looks during play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.