Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Tom Casual of Orange Nebula
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a call out to anyone who may have taken a pass on this -- Laukat has been running a really responsive campaign (as usual) and lots of fun things are happening. The setup is moving away from big modular pieces to a HUGE GORGEOUS BOARD with...wait for it....modular planets that allow for variable setup but with all the aesthetic and mechanical beauty the board allows.

Including -- variable starting 'scenarios' which will give players the option for starting the game with the galaxy in various different states, further increasing replayability and excitement.

He has also lowered the requirements for some of the more exciting stretch goals, including the world ship miniatures goal that we have now achieved as of yesterday.

He is having a QA session on kickstarter live today and will be posting updated gameplay videos shortly.

So basically -- there's a lot happening on this one that may be being iverlooked if you're someone who took your leave early. Keep an eye on it, get involved in the discussion, Laukat is listening and responding to gamers interests and thoughts.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cody
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too bad that rising sun is basically swamping this campaign. I think this game will probably be more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualToast wrote:
Just a call out to anyone who may have taken a pass on this -- Laukat has been running a really responsive campaign (as usual) and lots of fun things are happening. The setup is moving away from big modular pieces to a HUGE GORGEOUS BOARD with...wait for it....modular planets that allow for variable setup but with all the aesthetic and mechanical beauty the board allows.

Including -- variable starting 'scenarios' which will give players the option for starting the game with the galaxy in various different states, further increasing replayability and excitement.

He has also lowered the requirements for some of the more exciting stretch goals, including the world ship miniatures goal that we have now achieved as of yesterday.

He is having a QA session on kickstarter live today and will be posting updated gameplay videos shortly.

So basically -- there's a lot happening on this one that may be being iverlooked if you're someone who took your leave early. Keep an eye on it, get involved in the discussion, Laukat is listening and responding to gamers interests and thoughts.

Cheers!

Yup bad timing for any other kickstarter out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That IS a bummer for sure. But, ya know, life.

There's definitely room in people's lives for both though. I'm sure lots of Empires fans are excited about Rising Sun too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wccody wrote:
It's too bad that rising sun is basically swamping this campaign. I think this game will probably be more fun.

They are largely two different audiences. Rising Sun will overshadow Empires of the Void II, but those who love Red Raven are still paying attention.

Fans of both companies will probably also be aware that Laukat has a more restrictive Kickstarter campaign with pledges not being available after the close of the Kickstarter. CMON on the other hand is very loose with their pledge rules allowing backers to pledge a small amount and complete their pledge later.

Fans of both should pledge Laukat's now and look to pay for Rising Sun later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly agree that Red Raven Games Kick Starters are very engaging and never just preorder affairs
I'd add that even if Ryan's Empire of the Void II KS campaign is not an option for you, participating in or watching afterwards the KS live stream will be a great look into his process! I'm hoping he gives us a peek at some of his 'works in progress'(artwork)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's always the best part of his projects, watching him slowly roll out increasingly amazing art and upgraded components. Even after the campaign has ended he is still plugging away and sharing new additions and finalized work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wccody wrote:

I don't even get why this should be of any significance.

Doesn't CMON have a campaign active at any point in time?

If you're into minis games AND 4X games / Ryan Laukat games you'll probably need both anyway. If not, one campaign will not affect the other.

Actually, I read as much as "Rising Sun is a board game for 3 to 5 players" and was out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had good experiences with Red Raven games, and I have a general affection toward space themed games. However, I've only been following this game from a distance because I can't really afford to fund it at this point, but hope to pick it up at retail later.

My understanding was that, if the board stretchgoal is reached, the planets would actually be printed on the board? Has RRG actually confirmed that there will be modular planets for variable setup?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
I have had good experiences with Red Raven games, and I have a general affection toward space themed games. However, I've only been following this game from a distance because I can't really afford to fund it at this point, but hope to pick it up at retail later.

My understanding was that, if the board stretchgoal is reached, the planets would actually be printed on the board? Has RRG actually confirmed that there will be modular planets for variable setup?

Yeah the most recent update shows loose planets on the board and a caption that says something like "modular planets whaaaaaa?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Braga
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Being new to the board game hobby and especially to kickstarters, it's been interesting comparing these two campaigns seeing as I was interested in both games. On the one hand you have Ryan who is activly trying to make his game more suited to what people are asking for and using stretch goals to add content to his game. Then you have CMON who it seems is just adding more "stuff" to the box just to add more stuff. I'm not saying either is the right or wrong way to do it, just interesting to compare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wish that my situation allowed for me to back Rising Sun cry
BEAUTIFUL game but a 3player, partial negotiation game just isn't gonna make it to the table enough to warrant the $100+ investment. I already own a couple of favorites that don't get to the table often enough! Cthulhu Wars is my go-to and for me fills a similar niche. From the looks of it I'd come quite close to completing two games of CW in the same amount of time.

Ryan's games have a strong narrative element woven in and that is largely why I have so much success getting them to the table laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cody
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ashman wrote:
Doesn't CMON have a campaign active at any point in time?

It's not about the money necessarily, it's more about the hype. I feel like kickstarter only has a certain amount of hype it can supply at any one time and Rising Sun has pretty used up all of it so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Secretgeek2016 wrote:
Being new to the board game hobby and especially to kickstarters, it's been interesting comparing these two campaigns seeing as I was interested in both games. On the one hand you have Ryan who is activly trying to make his game more suited to what people are asking for and using stretch goals to add content to his game. Then you have CMON who it seems is just adding more "stuff" to the box just to add more stuff. I'm not saying either is the right or wrong way to do it, just interesting to compare.

I really enjoy that about the smaller but professional outfits like Red Raven. You know you are going to get a good, non amateur product but the campaign is more of an inclusive process. By the end of the campaign I always feel like I actually know the other active backers and there are always changes made reflecting feedback given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, y'all convinced me. Backed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Secretgeek2016 wrote:

You're coming in at a fun time. These two campaigns are definitely two of the more interesting ones we will see this year!

CMON basically always has something going but this one has particularly fun toys.

And Ryan's games are always the highlight of the year for me. He's one of the biggest talents in the industry on multiple fronts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Secretgeek2016 wrote:

Well for the most part KS goals usually just add more content and make an additional mechanic.

Ryan is getting a lot of flak from his supporters because he is constantly changing the game. While some may see it as making it better other may see it as making it worse. I think Ryan is the only guy who can get away with it, as Ryan is a well known name amongst boargamers. So he can say I change the game from Space to Farming, and he would still get a good amount of support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly I cannot afford either
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing I like about Ryan's changes is they are always well considered. He will absolutely say no to something if it doesn't work or isn't the right fit or if he won't have the chance to play test it right and make it solid.

He's open to input and is flexible to the wishes of his customers but only insofar that he still puts out a great product. He doesn't just change things willynilly in hopes to nab the most people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly I cannot afford either
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thebrewgeek
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not enough Kickstarter exclusives. I can buy metal coins after on my own (or use the coins from Xia), the art book is whatever and the Beast Mini is cool but not enough reason to back the project. So all in all I wait for the retail version at a much cheaper price and only miss out on the beast mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rising Sun wasn't even on my mind as a potential competitor to Empires of the Void II. Never been into CMON - minis are not a big draw to me.

The Brass & Brass: Birmingham kickstarter (which at one point was said to happen this month), and Thunderstone Quest, on the other hand, are competing with this one for my money. If I try to afford them all, I'll end up on a very tight budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thebrewgeek wrote:
Not enough Kickstarter exclusives.

To me, that's a positive - I strongly dislike kickstarter exclusives... if anything, they're more likely to turn me off a campaign than to attract me to it.

I feel gamers who only find out about the game later on should be given a chance at the same gameplay experience. If it's not included in the retail box, offer it up separately or in the BGG store or such.

(Feel the same way about "early bird" pledges - not all of us are constantly aware of every new game that is coming out, or being crowdfunded.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thebrewgeek wrote:
Not enough Kickstarter exclusives. I can buy metal coins after on my own (or use the coins from Xia), the art book is whatever and the Beast Mini is cool but not enough reason to back the project. So all in all I wait for the retail version at a much cheaper price and only miss out on the beast mini.

Keep in mind the retail version of this is set to MSRP at higher than the delixe version pledge on Kickstarter.

Also, sure you get can it retail at a discount but then you aren't contributing to the funding and the possibility of an improved product!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Grove123 wrote:
So he can say I change the game from Space to Farming, and he would still get a good amount of support.

WHA!? SPACE FARMING!!! I need to go pledge agai... wait... you were just speculating weren't you. You big tease...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.