59 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » Strategy

Subject: The Brute - Builds and Perks. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Miller
msg tools
I haven't seen any posts about strategy reguarding the Brute. Why is that? I would assume a lot of people are playing that character.

How are you using him?

What 'X' cards have you substituted in and which cards did you remove?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
Have you paid your dues, Jack?
badge
Yes sir, the check is in the mail.
mbmbmbmbmb
Viking300 wrote:
I haven't seen any posts about strategy reguarding the Brute. Why is that? I would assume a lot of people are playing that character.

How are you using him?

I'm interested in this, too. I'm at first level and the only improvement I've been able to make is buying Boots of Striding so I can take advantage of the X card Balanced Measures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Its hard to discuss builds as people are at different levels. My level 6 Brute is basically set up to destroy an enemy one at a time vs AOE damage and take damage. I also use him to position himself to allow my scoundrel to kill very easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
msg tools
Thanks for your input. I wanted to know if people were playing him as a tank (with shield and retaliate) or as a single-enemy damage dealer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cmmayo wrote:
Viking300 wrote:

How are you using him?

I'm interested in this, too. I'm at first level and the only improvement I've been able to make is buying Boots of Striding so I can take advantage of the X card Balanced Measures.

I haven't played with Balanced Measured as it seems to be unpredictable unless you are strictly using it for attack after a movement. It also seems weird to use the Ali shuffle to "move 6" or so in place just to attack. There is a similar card that is much more effective at utilizing a movement bonus later on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
msg tools
cmmayo wrote:
Viking300 wrote:

How are you using him?

I too use Balanced Measure, but only as an attack (top) action. I have never used the move (bottom) action. Also, the 1xp is nice to add to a massive hit (provided you don't draw a "null" modifier card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Heidenreich

Palm Bay
Florida
msg tools
Balanced measures is his best early card imo. I mainly use it for attack, but I have used it once for a crucial move to get across a room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harrison
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
Brute Build:

Starting Items:

Boots of Striding
Minor Power Potion

Starting Hand:

Balanced Measure, Trample, and Grab and Go are mainstays for me at level 1 and form the basis for your most powerful turns. I don't remember the rest off the top of my head.

Strategy:

Aside from basic strategies you'll see across all Brute builds, the main concept here is to maximize the utility out of your Trample and Balanced Measure cards. If you use Grab and Go for the Move 4 combined with Balanced Measure and Boots of Striding, you get a move 6 attack 6 turn, which is very powerful.

Once per game, you combine Boots of Striding, Trample, and the Minor Power Potion to be able to hit 5 enemies for 3 attack, which is very powerful. Plus, if you used Balanced Measure for your top action you get to attack one enemy at the end (which should be the strongest) with an attack 6.

For perks/items, the first thing you're going to want to pick up is the perk to ignore negative item effects and then get yourself some good armor. This is a ton of value right there and really helps with tanking. I haven't mathed out what the next best perks are, but I'm thinking removing -1 cards
can't be bad.

When you have enough money, you also want to get yourself the Warhammer; your combo with Trample now also stuns all the enemies you run through. That's 5 enemies that are dealt a significant amount of damage and are also stunned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Beaudin
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always weird talking about builds, because the party needs are very different depending on size and makeup.

Our party's brute has only been played in 3 and 4 player scenarios where he doesn't have to worry about being the primary single-target OR multi-target damager. Because of that, he's been able to specialize into tanking. He's bought shields and armor to add shielding. He has the +2-move boots so that he can move far into combat and then activate his Shielding the following turns when he's there. The most important perk he took, of course, was the negative-item effect perk.

He originally had the "X Attack/X Move" card, but went away from it, because he was only using it as an attack card and he often wasn't moving. He absolutely took the "Kill a normal enemy" level 2(?) card. Killing an 8+ health enemy in an unstoppable attack is always worth it.

He's at level 4 now. He exhausts around half the time, but our party has never failed a scenario (on normal difficulty), so he's doing something right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Beaushek wrote:
It's always weird talking about builds, because the party needs are very different depending on size and makeup.

Our party's brute has only been played in 3 and 4 player scenarios where he doesn't have to worry about being the primary single-target OR multi-target damager. Because of that, he's been able to specialize into tanking. He's bought shields and armor to add shielding. He has the +2-move boots so that he can move far into combat and then activate his Shielding the following turns when he's there. The most important perk he took, of course, was the negative-item effect perk.

He originally had the "X Attack/X Move" card, but went away from it, because he was only using it as an attack card and he often wasn't moving. He absolutely took the "Kill a normal enemy" level 2(?) card. Killing an 8+ health enemy in an unstoppable attack is always worth it.

He's at level 4 now. He exhausts around half the time, but our party has never failed a scenario (on normal difficulty), so he's doing something right.

That's interesting about him exhausting. Mine is never exhausting though I think I'm playing very conservative and have built my deck with cards that aren't lost. He's ending scenarios with 4+ cards on a regular basis. Maybe he should unleash the pain more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Beaudin
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dynalange129 wrote:
Beaushek wrote:

That's interesting about him exhausting. Mine is never exhausting though I think I'm playing very conservative and have built my deck with cards that aren't lost. He's ending scenarios with 4+ cards on a regular basis. Maybe he should unleash the pain more.

I'll note that he takes around 70% of our 3-4 person party's hits. If a big one comes his way, he won't hesitate to Lose a Card to ignore the damage. He probably loses 1-2 cards per scenario that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Pisani
United States
New Albany
Indiana
flag msg tools
I am curious about the Inox Brute perks. I think the best is the last one that ignores item effects and +1 card. I think the second best is the +1 and shield 1 (self). I'm really contemplating the add on target card for the next perk. Does the add one target affect all attacks?
For example, when drawn "add target" would:
Sweeping Blow would then attack 4 enemies,
Trample would attack two enemies. (if enemies are available.)
Overwhelming Assault would attack 2 enemies for 6 damage each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Au
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Playing mine with a Tinkerer and Spellweaver, I don't need to do much damage just mostly tank and maneuver, playing as more of a generalist, and provide some elements to help out the Spellweaver (usually just for Cracking Air). I went mostly for flexibility, including the X Skewer card; gaining XP from using reusable cards and generally trying to last as long as I can, even benefiting from the Tinkers restore discards once in a while.

Bought a helm (great for just 10 gold) and armour after I got the perk to ignore negative item effects, got the warhammer and all the potions too. Probably going to get the movement boots next to help make some tramples.

Usually play conservatively, putting up shields and trying to keep opponents off the group, using some crowd control pushes and pulls. I took Juggernaut at level 2 for the flexibility in movement and the option to burn it for super tanking. Took hook and chain at 3 for the crowd control and to help with disabling traps where I can't push someone into one. Took the damage card at level 3 that I can reuse for xp (can't recall the name, does a 5 attack though).

I can go a little nuts on damage some rounds though, with a couple big cards or playing Trample and Skewer; usually save any big damage combos until the end of the scenario though, when I know I won't be exhausted and the win is in the bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Au
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
iamthepisani wrote:
I am curious about the Inox Brute perks. I think the best is the last one that ignores item effects and +1 card. I think the second best is the +1 and shield 1 (self). I'm really contemplating the add on target card for the next perk. Does the add one target affect all attacks?
For example, when drawn "add target" would:
Sweeping Blow would then attack 4 enemies,
Trample would attack two enemies. (if enemies are available.)
Overwhelming Assault would attack 2 enemies for 6 damage each.

Yes, it would add one target to all those (assuming you mean the top part of trample, not the bottom) as you specified. After removing the item negative, I prioritized getting rid of my -1s to help with consistency, and I'm going with the defensive cards first, muddle and disarm and shield. The add one target looks good, but since you never know when you'll pull it, and most of the time when I run in and get truly surrounded I try and pop some defensive cards, I'm not sure I'd get the most use out of it (especially if you don't play many ranged cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harrison
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
iamthepisani wrote:
I think the best is the last one that ignores item effects and +1 card. I think the second best is the +1 and shield 1 (self). I'm really contemplating the add on target card for the next perk.

I think everyone's in agreement that the ignore negative item effects perk is the best. I'm not sure what the next best would be, but I'm in favor of trimming the deck down before adding in more cards, but I'm also playing with the Reduced Randomness variant so I don't worry about the null card.

The add target mod just functions exactly like add target on the attack would: you can choose 1 additional target that's in range (not somebody you already with that action though); so yes, Overwhelming Assault attacks 2 enemies for 6 each and Sweeping blow could target 4 enemies, although for both all enemies have to be adjacent to you. For Trample I'm pretty sure you get to target an enemy that's adjacent to the space you landed on (again, it has to be a new target, you can't add a target you've already attacked with the action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eamon Burke
United States
Rockport
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
A few tips for playing the Brute well in my experience:

Long Rests. Items that reset and the tiny bit of heal are something you want to maximize, but the real focus here is controlling your Lost pile. The Brute wants as little cards lost as possible until the very end of the scenario, where you can hopefully dump cards and kill stuff. This is a big contrast to the Cragheart I played before, where you can get by on only short rests and losing cards usually has such an impact on the room it's okay to do it earlier.

Instead of going high damage, do more attacks. The perks are not super helpful for reducing the RNG of the modifier deck, so you're gonna have to embrace the RNG. It's better to do 3 attacks at 2 damage than to do 1 attack at 6 damage. The few high damage attacks will cost you a Lost card, either for the action itself, or to refresh the item you used to make that attack.

Shields. The drawback here is getting pinged by tiny arrows and losing your shields rapidly, so I've found that it's best to save Warding Strength until later, and use the top half once or twice first, hopefully to push someone into a trap.

Mine is lvl 4 and my focus is on 1v1 the biggest guy in the room
minor, vague, career goal spoiler
Spoiler (click to reveal)
My career goal makes it so that I want to kill single, big enemies instead of just tanking for others or clearing a room of little guys

Here's his items:
Jagged Sword
Heater Shield
Chainmail
Eagle-Eye Goggles
Boots of Striding
Minor Stamina Potion
Moon Earring

The focus with items is to have them all used up when time comes to long resting. If I get trapped and need my items back without having a turn to long rest, that's what the Moon Earring is for.

Provoking Roar has been a hard one to use. The disarm is great to keep you from dying, but attack 2 isn't going the help kill anything any faster. The bottom half is a suicide move most of the time, and it's criminal that it doesn't even provide 1xp. The best thing about this card is the Initiative of 10.

Spare Dagger is a "cant leave without it" card for me. It's a good, fast, xp gaining ranged attack that is a great option when your other card is just a move. But the bottom is critical to getting more hits in when you're standing up to something with lots of HP and no shield.

Balanced Measure is indeed a powerhouse. Combined with Skewer and the Boots of Striding and you've got 2xp, 8 move, 8 attack. Hope you roll well!

Eye for an Eye doesn't hardly ever get brought when I'm going in blind. Retaliate 2 is okay, bu the heal function is all but useless. Heal 2 is pretty much "remove stat effect", because I'd only ever use it to remove a wound or poison.

Grab and Go is the reason I'm not broke. It's pretty much the standard "use with balanced measure" card, but the loot has come in handy when I'm standing next to some treasure and need to pop my Warding Strength for shield or remove a stat effect with Eye for an Eye.

Sweeping Blow doesn't get brought because if I'm gonna move 3, I don't want the enemy pushed away from me usually, but the main reason is because the attack 2 top half is pretty lame. That thing needs an enhancement to 3 damage or a wound.

Trample is the card that I find myself grabbing the most after a failed scenario, because it is great for hitting shields.

lvl 2 card talk here
Juggernaut has been awesome. The bottom half is sometimes useful to pull out a win from a hopeless last room, but the top half is vital to making the Brute more mobile. This with Spare Dagger gives you a "move, attack, attack" turn.

lvl 3 card talk
Hook and Chain has an attack on the bottom, that provides another "move attack, attack" turn, but the damage is way higher. A cool combo would be Provoking Roar, because it would leave the enemy disarmed and speed up the initiative so your enemy hasn't had a chance to move closer and reduce the damage you deal.

lvl 4 card talk
Unstoppable Charge is just awesome. Hook and chain plus Unstoppable charge and a few good modifier flips can crush some serious damage.

Perks-wise, I've gone down the rabbit hole of RNG for my deck. First thing I did was pick up the armor one. Then I added that +3 asap. Then I added the ones that do rolling stat effects. I don't want to waste time taking -1s out of my deck if I can't take out most of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oehler
msg tools
mb
Balanced Measures seems like it's been great for our brute. Skewer has also looked good in a lot of our missions which have typically involved a lot of shield enemies (and no one is typically eating the wind created by his jump) - more pierce cards besides trample have been nice.

The horned helmet has been pretty good for him since he has often been moving and attacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Viking300 wrote:
I too use Balanced Measure, but only as an attack (top) action. I have never used the move (bottom) action. Also, the 1xp is nice to add to a massive hit (provided you don't draw a "null" modifier card).

The move part of the card is amazing if you use the item that turns a single target attack into a two target attack and pair it with a decent sized attack card first. I moved at least 10 squares with it once.

I also love the +2 move boots with this card when attacking with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Roe
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Balanced Measures and Skewer are two "X" cards that I never leave home without now. A really satisfying combo that I've been able to do a couple times in the few plays so far is: Play Trample (bottom action) and tap the Boots of Striding, which allows you to jump over and attack potentially 5 enemies, land and then play the top action on Balanced Measures to hit another enemy for an attack of 6. This is better later in a scenario since you'll lose Trample and also tap your boots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viking300 wrote:

How are you using him?

I've been playing in a group for about 20 scenarios and solo with 3 characters through about 30 scenarios and I'm building a primer for each character. I've played through all but 4 of them. I'll post the full strategy guide when I finish, but here is my Brute rough draft:
(everything is spoiler boxed to whatever level you want to go. Cards first and then Items after.)
Cards are in order from best to worst.

Bute
The Brute is one of the most versatile characters in the game. He can rush in and fight hand to hand, or he can hang back and ranged attack. He has tons of health to soak damage for support characters and he has movement to get almost everywhere on the battlefield. There aren’t really any duds in his starting cards, which makes it difficult to rank the bottom 5 or 6 cards. They’re all useful, but some are more situational than others.

Cards:
Level 1
Spare Dagger – In almost every scenario there will be a situation where you need to do ranged damage. Meanwhile, if you’re already in the heat of battle, the bottom ability gives you that extra shot at a monster.
Skewer – An excellent card in general and especially against Living Bones. Not difficult to set up in most scenarios and should be played the turn after moving with Leaping Cleave for maximum effect.
Provoking Roar – The Brute’s fastest card with a solid top ability. Very useful for shutting down a heavy hitting monster or for enabling your slower cards to fire off early.
Leaping Cleave – Great movement, solid attack, facilitates Skewer.
Trample – A necessary card in scenarios with shields. The bottom ability is great for putting down damage on a cluster of monsters or getting you out of a tough situation.
Warding Strength – A solid level 1 card that can push monsters into traps. Eclipsed in power by cards at higher levels.
Balanced Measure – Very solid at early levels, but slow and should be replaced as you level up.
Sweeping Blow – A little bit of a situational attack that doesn’t do too much damage. The move and push is good for triggering traps.
Shield Bash – Very fast, but losing a card for only 4 damage and stun is a little bit too costly. No movement on the bottom means you already have to be in position to take advantage of the shields.
Overwhelming Assault – The move and push 2 is the best part of this card. Unfortunately it’s fairly slow, but the attack of 6 is pretty good against lower level monsters.
Eye for an Eye – If you’re not being supported by healers the value of this card goes up. It’s a fast card, but retaliate is usually difficult to set up which makes me value the card slightly less.
Wall of Doom – Again, retaliate is difficult to set up in most situations. The bottom ability is also situational because you already need to be next to your target for most of the Brute’s cards.
Grab and Go – A really slow card. Decent move and reusable loot. Unfortunately it doesn’t do enough to further your goals in most scenarios.
Level 2
Fatal Advance – This is an extremely strong card to use in the last room of a scenario, completely eliminating the strongest normal monster. The huge movement on the bottom is strong as well.
Juggernaut – Reactive abilities are always going to be a step below proactive abilities. If you tend to run right into the center of the fray, this card can be useful to get you there with the top ability or to save you with the bottom ability.
Level 3
Hook and Chain – This card is ridiculously good. Allowing a possible 6 attack on bottom (with Boots of Striding), followed by a huge top attack can take a huge chunk out of tough monsters. Plus it has a solid range attack on top that can trigger traps.
Brute Force – Not much better than Sweeping Blow and much more situational than Hook and Chain.
Level 4
Unstoppable Charge – While the card is slow, it has one of the hardest repeatable hits in the game. The bottom ability can really get you out of a bind as well, stunning a large group.
Devastating Hack – It’s nice that this card is fast and it hits hard, but the cost of losing a card is so great that it drops the value of this card. I also don’t value loot cards very highly because they don’t further the goal of winning the scenario and are usually selfish cards.
Level 5
Skirmishing Maneuver – This card allows you turns where you can Spare Dagger to act fairly early for two 3 damage ranged attacks. Plus the top ability allows turns where you can move 6 or 8 and two attacks for 2.
Whirlwind – Another card that is lost for a powerful ability. Definitely a solid card and effective for triggering traps.
Level 6
Quietus – This is one of the top 5 strongest cards in the game (of any class). Repeatable instant kill is in a class of its own. Your teammates should be stunning late in the round and then you can go early in the next round with Provoking Roar for the kill. In a pinch it also combos with Unstoppable Charge. The solid bottom ability is the icing on the cake.
Immovable Phalanx – Another one of the Brute’s strongest cards. There was no question in my mind to take this when I hit level 7. It’s super fast, hits hard, and shields you from the monster’s counterattacks. I have only used the bottom ability a few times with mixed results. The fast initiative and top ability are enough to make this card amazing.
Level 7
There are no “bad” cards from this level up, but these two just aren’t on par with the level 6 cards. They are about even in power level, so it depends on your playstyle. Honestly, just take Immovable Phalanx and forget these two.
Level 8
Frenzied Onslaught – The bottom ability is very situational, but the top ability is fantastic.
Selfish Retribution – A really strong retaliate card because it lets you set up the retaliate with a move and you’re still able to attack with another card’s top ability.
Level 9
Face Your End – The ability to insta-kill an elite is as strong as a card can get, even when it is lost. The top ability is strong as well, allowing you to hit three targets and manipulate their positioning for your allies benefit or pulling them into traps.
King of the Hill – A decent card, but more situational to set up. Heal 5 is good on this tank, but limits your movement.

Items:
Prosperity 1
Boots of Striding allows him to get up close for his heavy hitting attacks and can position him for things like Skewer.
Hide Armor and Heater Shield make the Brute that much more of a tank.
Eagle-Eye Goggles is never a bad helmet, especially if you like using his multi-target cards.
Poison Dagger is useful when playing something like Spare Dagger so he can poison on the first attack and follow up with more attacks at +1. It’s also good when playing with ranged characters backing him up. The Brute can hit a target and poison early, setting up +1 for all other attackers.
Prosperity 2
Battle Axe is great with his large damage, single target attacks.
Stun Powder gives him the ability to stop a monster from attacking back and facilitates some of his other cards.
Prosperity 3
Chainmail is an upgrade to Hide Armor (you should have taken “ignore negative item effects” by now).
Jagged Sword can add that extra oomph to an attack and really helps against shielded monsters.
Long Spear is similar to Battle Axe with the benefit of untapping with a long rest or Moon Earing
Prosperity 4
Tower Shield is a great upgrade to the Heater Shield.
Treasure Items
Horned Helm will bump almost every one of the Brute’s attacks and fits him perfectly.
Necklace of Teeth is an excellent item for the Brute in scenarios with lots of Vermlings or Giant Vipers and other poisoning/wounding monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Pisani
United States
New Albany
Indiana
flag msg tools
Temelin - What about perks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Brute I like:

1) Remove two (-1) cards
2) Ignore negative item effects and add one (+1) card. (only if you're using Hide Armor or similar items, which you should be)
3) Replace one (-1) card with one (+1) card
4) Add one (+3) card

Then any of these:
- Add two (+1) cards
- Add one (rolling) STUN card
- Add one (rolling) DISARM and one (rolling) MUDDLE card

Then any of these:
- Add one (+1) Shield 1 Self card
- Add one (rolling) ADD TARGET card (This one seemed to always hit at the wrong times for me.)

Then any of these:
- Add two (rolling) PIERCE 3 cards (If you're planning to play 4 missions in a row with Living Spirits on high levels, then these probably go up in value, otherwise they are wastes.)
- Add three (rolling) PUSH 1 cards (These can really ruin your multi-attack cards.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
Have you paid your dues, Jack?
badge
Yes sir, the check is in the mail.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no idea how badly I was playing the Brute until I saw this thread begin to grow longer and longer.

...and longer and longer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing two player. My Brute, my gf's Scoundrel. I don't know what this "tanking" thing you guys keep talking about is, our best defense is to kill things dead before they kill us.

Once I ditched my 10-Initiative card, six of her nine cards are faster than ANY of mine. So the scoundrel is always going to "win" the initiative tie if we are equidistant but still needs to hit things close up more often than ranged. So the only real tanking I do is when the Scoundrel is invisible or in another room.

Our first few games I was pretty rough, because I was not managing my cards well, didn't have the boots, and was eating too much damage (some by luck, some by bad positioning). Our most recent games I've been an XP monster and hitting a lot harder. If the Scoundrel and I can get an elite/boss alone we can drop it in a hurry. Archers were definitely our problem but now that I can move better and she's learned that its occasionally ok to blow a turn waiting for me to catch up its gotten easier. So I'm definitely on board with offense is the best defense.

Here's my take on the cards.

Leaping Cleave - A must. An attack3 AoE that is the simplest to hit two targets with and a constant XP. If I had ever found out where to enhance things, this would have been a great early choice. The bottom has a jump/wind combo that sets up a lot of things.

Skewer This one can be pretty easily setup with a preceding move but oftentimes the enemies will walk into it. Again, attack3 with an XP and a possble +1/pierce1. The bottom's Move 6 loss is occasionally big in a final room/final turn situation. This shouldn't be an X card, because its a must.

Trample A dependable Pierce2 is sweet. The bottom action is more useful as a flat jump4 than it is with the multiple attack2 hits. It can be great to finish things off, but if you're going to finish things off why lose a card?

Spare Dagger You would think the Attack3/Range3/1XP would be huge and in certain situations it can be, but I'd usually rather be close. The Attack2 on the bottom was my only bottom attack, but again, an attack2 just doesn't cut it. This one actually slips out of my deck sometimes.

Eye for an Eye This card stays in my deck for two reasons only, the bottom Heal2 and the 18 initiative. I've found using Retaliate is a losing proposition in 2player because if the enemies choose that round to not move/attack you just wasted your turn. If I had bottom Retaliates I might use them more often. I would love to be able to ditch this card, but I'm scared of not having healing and I need the fast 18. If I had a tinkerer, I would ditch this.

Grab and Go The Move4 bottom is huge. The Loot 1 top is mostly useless. I don't have time to loot and when I do have the time, the Scoundrel makes sure I don't have the opportunity. I get paid for successful jobs, not by robbing the dead. In a different party setup, this might be better.

Warding Strength - Push is great for Retaliating enemies and situational trap setups but in general, I don't want to shove things away from me. The six instances of Shield 1 on the bottom are great so I usually take this card, but my Scoundrel partner makes it harder for me to set this up than it should be.

Sweeping Blow You would think an AoE with potentially 3 targets and a Move3/Pushadjacent would be nice. But its not. The AoE usually only gets 2, and the attack2 isn't strong enough. Ditched. I can easily see this being more valuable in a 4player.

Overwhelming Assault Attack6/2XP but lost. Move3/Push2onetarget. This was good early for big damage (looking at you Scenario 2 Boss) but its useless unless you're losing it. A prime card to ditch on levelups.

Shield Bash Attack4/Stun/2XP but lost on top. Shield1 for the round on the bottom. See Overwhelming Assault. The best thing about this card is the initiative 15 but that's probably not worth keeping it for.

Provoking Roar Attack2/Disarm seems like it would be a nice opening move to help you ping an enemy, avoid an attack, then attack again. HOWEVER, the way monsters target usually means you're not just getting one attack. The bottom's taking a hit for an adjacent enemy might be fine in certain party configurations, but for just the two of us I don't need this card even though it hurts to lose the speed of Initiative 10.

Wall of Dooom The bottom's +1 all Attacks this round would be nice if I had a way to dependably get more than 1-2 attacks. The top's Retaliate2/Shield2 just doesn't make sense as a lost card. Maybe you can risk it in a larger group but I can't stand still and HOPE someone hits me.

Balanced Measure This seems like a great card, but for the most part its highly situational. I would love to hit multiple targets for high damage and then move all the way across the board, but it hasn't happened yet. So it usually gets used as a top with a Move4 or boots-boosted movement.

Items:
I started with the Warhammer because I wanted to Stun everything in a Sweeping Blow/Leaping Cleave/Skewer. This works pretty well except I often wait too long to use it. The bigger problem is you REALLY need to start with the Boots of Striding as suggested. I got so much better once I added them. I also have the Stamina Potion, Chain Mail (its slightly better than the leather armor) and after wavering way too long between the Iron Helmet and the Horned Helmet I finally went with the Horned Helmet
+1 to next attack after you move 3 or more
and that seems to have coincided with me no longer leaving things with 1HP. I've opened the Prosperity 2 items but I'm really thinking of blowing all my money on the
Rocket
Boots we found when I can afford them after one more session. They're just sooo expensive.

At first level up I took

Fatal Advance the auto kill of a normal enemy is amazing especially when you start walking into some 14-18 hp normals. And the move4 on the bottom means the card is never useless.

At level 3 I ignored both level 3 cards and took the other level 2.

Juggernaut I know I've been hating on Attack2 this whole time but the extra movement as part of the Attack is huge - let's me set up Warding Strength or another interesting bottom or tack it on the end of the move to cover a bigger distance. The bottom's ignore next 3 sources of damage is also a huge deal.

I chose to ignore Brute Force because Muddle doesn't excite me and the AoE attack2 was less appealing than Juggernaut's extra move. The Move2/Shield1 on the bottom is totally underwhelming. For someone who could run the Brute as a tank, this might be huge. But I'm betting you need a party of 4 with a dedicated healer and the other two characters dealing damage for that to work.

Hook and Chain was harder to skip but the bottom's straight line restriction is pretty brutal and while the pull is huge, the range isn't large enough. I can usually move the 3 steps to an enemy and we have a few other ways to get enemies into traps.

The Level 4 choice was easy

Unstoppable Charge is a game changer. An Attack5/1XP I can use multiple times? Yes, please. Yes very much. And just like Skewer's bottom, the Move4/Stunalladjacent/lost bottom can be huge in certain final room situations.

Devastating Hack Attack8/3XP/Lost and Loot1 seems like a joke. I'd much rather use Fatal Advance as a big lost card, and even though this 8 can go on bosses/elites, I would rather take Unstoppable Charge and maybe put Overwhelming Assault back in my deck for bosses if necessary.

I just hit Level 5 so I have to choose a new card for next time I play. This decision seems harder.

Skirmishing Maneuver has an Attack2/Move2/Attack2 top. I hate the low attacks but like Juggernaut, the movement on top is appealing. The Attack3/Range3/1XP bottom is also nice but would since I have so little move on top this would almost always require me to kill something with my regular top attack and then hit a target in range...but hopefully not adjacent and that seems too situaional. So I'll probably take...

Whirlwind A nice Move4/Push3 on the bottom for knocking someone out of range or into a trap. The top Attack4toalladjacent is HUGE but unfortunately a lost card. However, it seems much more useful/unique.

As for perks, I panicked at the Living Bones and took the Pierce cards first, then removed the -1s. I think I added the two +1s and the disarm/muddle pair next. I finally took the negative items canceler when I found the Chain Mail (I had never bothered to buy the Leather Armor). I was pretty much waiting for any other items with neg cards to show up. Then I added the Stun and this time Im removing one more -1 for a +1. My next perk is definitely the +3, and then I'll probably finally add one of the extra targets or the shield. The pushes are absolutely the last things I'd add.

I think this whole thread can pretty much be summed up as "Push. huh? Good God! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing."

- now preparing for our next session to be filled with enemies standing in front of traps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Pisani
United States
New Albany
Indiana
flag msg tools
I think push would be useful if the enemy would take damage for every space they can't move. For example, push -> 3. The enemy is on space from a wall. The enemy moves one space backward to the wall and take two damage for being slammed into the wall. Apart from that little bonus push seems not that great of an ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.