Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gladiators for Rent rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sergio Montero
Spain
flag msg tools
Hello,

I've been wondering if it is possible to rent/lend a gladiator to another player. I cannot find anything in the book but for me this completely fits the Spartacus atmosphere.

Example:

Host is 11 points and invites player X with no gladiators against his Theokoles, expecting to win the game. I offer player X my Gannicus for this fight under the following conditions:

- 20 coins + the earnings of Gannicus Favor in advance.

- I will return 5 coins if Gannicus returns alive with a new Favor Token (or not... But this always makes Player X to pay easier).

- Of course, if Gannicus wins, the influence is for Player X.

If it is not legal I think is a pretty house rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
It is stated in the rules that cards CAN NT be traded during the arena phase, to me this inherently prohibits "lending" slaves and/or gladiators. I can not give you a quote as I own the German version of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In theory you can lease a gladiator because the rules don't specify it can't be done but I don't see why you would do it since if he wins HE takes the influence increase and if he he loses YOU lose your gladiator.

It's an insane idea: what guarantee do you have he won't suicide the gladiator by taking hits badly (remove the wrong dice on purpose) or make the wrong moves (make bad use of movement points so as to attack 2nd)?

We're talking of LEASING not of SELLING a gladiator. You CAN sell a gladiator in the free market phase: Gladiators are MARKET cards and you can trade any market card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Montero
Spain
flag msg tools
GShock112 wrote:
I don't see why you would do it since if he wins HE takes the influence increase and if he he loses YOU lose your gladiator.

In this situation you must request a huge amount of coins in advance for leasing a gladiator. You can gain favor in that gladiator, making it a Champion sooner. You can be interested in preventing other player from winning, I would gladly see a 6 point player increase in +1 his influence if I prevent a 11 point player of winning.. In fact, I think it could be a good strategy for Batiatus house to get some money out of some gladiators. I still see it useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The host must extend an invitation to all other houses before he can invite himself. So it's unlikely this situation would occur unless other houses are also at 11 influence, in which case if you're the player with no gladiators you would decline and take the -1 influence and let someone else accept the invitation, such as the person who actually has Gannicus in his stable. It would not really be a great deal to take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm your huckleberry
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkranex wrote:
The host must extend an invitation to all other houses before he can invite himself. So it's unlikely this situation would occur unless other houses are also at 11 influence, in which case if you're the player with no gladiators you would decline and take the -1 influence and let someone else accept the invitation, such as the person who actually has Gannicus in his stable. It would not really be a great deal to take.

The host can invite themselves at any time, pg 11, Hosting the Event.

I've 'lent' a gladiator this way before, but it can only be done in Open Market. Then it COULD be returned in the following open market phase. In my case, i took a whole lot of coin and did not get the gladiator returned! Eventually, it won the game for my opponent using Solonius' ability to discard a gladiator/slave/guard for influence. I don't think i could ever lend Gannicus, unless somehow the coin you get from the trade allows you to buy the host and win the game.

So, you can make what ever agreement you want, but this is a game of double cross, so don't expect the other player to hold to the terms!

I agree, the decline and loss of influence is the best approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
serj88 wrote:
GShock112 wrote:
I don't see why you would do it since if he wins HE takes the influence increase and if he he loses YOU lose your gladiator.

In this situation you must request a huge amount of coins in advance for leasing a gladiator. You can gain favor in that gladiator, making it a Champion sooner. You can be interested in preventing other player from winning, I would gladly see a 6 point player increase in +1 his influence if I prevent a 11 point player of winning.. In fact, I think it could be a good strategy for Batiatus house to get some money out of some gladiators. I still see it useful.

The beauty of this game is that everything could happen: leasing someone's gladiator is the best way to have him killed. You lose 1 point in combat but your opponent loses the gladiator. From the perspective of the leaser it's a win-win situation. I know it depends on the situation BEFORE the lease take place but in this game you really can't trust no one.

I wouldn't do it that's for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.