Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Sanders
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why I purchased:
I had been wanting this game since I saw it on Tabletop. For some reason I kept putting it off. I assume because most of my group is not really into worker placement, I left it in my cart. One day I needed like $30 to get to free shipping. I bit the bullet and left it in the cart.

Setup:
The game sets up rather intuitively. There is a spot for everything on the gameboard. This is the one part of the rule book that is well done. It takes a couple of minutes for setup and teardown. With the large board nothing feels cluttered.

Learning / Teaching the game:
I know the basics of worker placement. As this was a simple one, I didn’t think it would present much of a learning curve. I watched a couple of videos and read through the rulebook to see what each location did. The plan was for us to run through it and just learn on the fly.

I had read how the rule book was not very well done. Those people were correct. There was no real explanation on certain locations. The rules as written for the sea voyages was useless. It was a case of “figure out the iconography and how to implement it on your own...not our responsibility”. There were a couple of other smaller issues as well. The hunting Grounds location was light on explanation as well, but easy enough to figure out.

Gameplay:
As far as worker placement games are concerned, this is a very light one with a lot of options. With better rules this would be a nice intro to worker placement. The turns move quite fast and keeps you engaged. Rolling dice was a nice fit for this game. I really enjoyed the the roll until something is dead idea.

The amount of locations is impressive and open in a 2 player game, but you will still sit there hoping the other player will leave your spots alone. Once you up the player count, I can see the board getting tight and tense.

Once we figured out the sea voyages, I really enjoyed the idea of the various sea conditions. It is one of the simple game elements that add to the theme in a nice subtle way. The other being the Hunting Grounds. Do you have a couple of vikings that are not voyaging? Send them out to get food.

Results:
The game was back and forth the entire game. My opponent had a nice lead finishing the final round. Final scoring saw me slowly catching up until...BAM!...we tied and tied and tied. Shared victories are horrible in a 2 player game.

Final Thoughts:
As the game progressed and we figured out the poorly written rules, I really started to enjoy the game. I appreciated how they milked the theme out of a normally dry mechanic. I know a lot of people don’t like vikings with horns (I am one of those people), but when it is fantasy vikings, I am on board with as much embellishing as you care to give me.

The most exciting thing about the game was knowing that eventually it would get expansions. Literally the day after the purchase, I went on kickstarter and there they were. I went all in. Mainly because I really needed the wood and food tokens because red and green should never be the colors of resources. Just use wood to represent wood. Don’t paint them to look identical to the red ones (to us eye fail people).

Pros:
So much theme from a dry mechanic
Easy mechanics for beginners.
Dice rolling combat

Cons:
Rulebook
Not great for the colorblind
Dice rolling combat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Heffernan
Australia
flag msg tools
I played for the first time the other day and didn't have problems with the rules, perhaps the pdf I read was updated over the print copy you had?

Also found the game really fun, cant wait to play again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A revised, comprehensive rulebook would be a great addition to the Kickstarter expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.