Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried yet? I am curious if this could (eventually) be expanded to include more than two players. Will the scenarios scale well or is this game really best suited for two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian T wrote:
Has anyone tried yet? I am curious if this could (eventually) be expanded to include more than two players. Will the scenarios scale well or is this game really best suited for two?

Officially it plays 1-4. I've only played with 3 or 4 and its been a blast. (Although you need a 2nd core for 3 or 4)

I've heard of FFG employees playing with 5 - sounded like it was fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_Frisk wrote:
Brian T wrote:

Officially it plays 1-4. I've only played with 3 or 4 and its been a blast. (Although you need a 2nd core for 3 or 4)

I've heard of FFG employees playing with 5 - sounded like it was fun.

Playing with 5 would be crazy. There would be monsters and clues everywhere!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch this and find out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Doonican
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played 4 players Carnavale last week, and it was a blast. Took 2 hours, but lots of laughter and much enjoyment all round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan McGuire
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Ack!
mbmbmbmbmb
ValDoonican wrote:
We played 4 players Carnavale last week, and it was a blast. Took 2 hours, but lots of laughter and much enjoyment all round.

Thanks for this! I was actually curious about the length. I play solo and with my wife, but we might start playing with 2 others. I had seen the Game Night video and was taken aback that it can take up to 3.5 hours (with explanation). 2 hours seems more like what it should take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Schmidt
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thirteen-time World Champion Green Bay Packers!
badge
The time that we kill keeps us alive
mbmbmbmbmb
Sculder_8P wrote:
ValDoonican wrote:

Thanks for this! I was actually curious about the length. I play solo and with my wife, but we might start playing with 2 others. I had seen the Game Night video and was taken aback that it can take up to 3.5 hours (with explanation). 2 hours seems more like what it should take.

Our group is very methodical. We tend to talk over a variety of options before acting on any given turn. Tuesday night three of us took three hours to complete (successfully!) the Rougarou.

I've also heard that's the longest scenario released to date, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with 4 ppl and 2 hours for a scenario is about right. Maybe 2 1/2.

I like 4 much better than 2. With 2 you both need to be somewhat jack-of-all-trades as you can't rely on 1 person to do all of 1 task. With 4 you can specialize and let other people take care of things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my copy exclusively solo before I tried it ou on TTS as a three player campaign. It was amazing with three players. There was a lot of planning and cooperation going on and we just had a very good time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear it! I would play it two players, but more often than not, my gaming group consists of 4+ players. Two player games rarely make it to the table...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
As you add players, you tend to get better action economy, but the encounter deck becomes much more unpredictable as you draw more cards in sequence, and the consequences of that tend to balance out your improved action economy.

At low player counts, it's a bit more puzzle-like and methodical, allowing you to "solve" it (even though some scenarios have thin margins for error). As you add players it becomes more game-like, with tbe encounter deck throwing combinations at you and forcing you to react.

So it really depends on which if those experiences you prefer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like 3 player games most. More options than with two, but shorter than with four. But it is a matter of taste!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played at all player counts from 1 to 4, but mostly with 3 or 4, and it is, in my opinion, fantastic at all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Officially" it plays with 1 - 2 players (check out FFG website) and here on BGG it officially plays with 1 - 2+ (I like this way better).

From what I've read the game seems to scale well at 2 players but it's much more enjoyable at 4 (again, from what I've read here on BGG).

IMO, it doesn't matter how many players play this game, it's awesome at at any count!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with all counts. They've all worked well for the most part but it took a lot longer with 4 players in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now if only they would produce a base "character pack". I really find the idea of purchasing a second core set, just to get enough basic cards for extra heroes and then end up with duplicate mission cards I don't need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian T wrote:
Now if only they would produce a base "character pack". I really find the idea of purchasing a second core set, just to get enough basic cards for extra heroes and then end up with duplicate mission cards I don't need.

You also need the additional tokens for 3+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Brian T wrote:

You also need the additional tokens for 3+.

But a true fan is going to get some better tokens from Etsy or Amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see what Team Covenant have planned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
killerjoe1962 wrote:
"Officially" it plays with 1 - 2 players (check out FFG website) and here on BGG it officially plays with 1 - 2+ (I like this way better).

"Officially," it plays 1-4. It's just that the contents of a single core only support 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bd flory wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:

"Officially," it plays 1-4. It's just that the contents of a single core only support 2.

Where does it say that? I mean, it can play with four and we all know that but where does it say that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:

Where does it say that? I mean, it can play with four and we all know that but where does it say that?

On the product page, obviously
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
gnurf wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:

Also, the very first page of the Learn to Play guide:

Learn to Play - Game Overview (p.1) wrote:
Arkham Horror: The Living Card Game is a cooperative Living Card Game (LCG) in which one to four investigators work together to... [do stuff]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:

Thanks!!!! That was very helpful of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bd flory wrote:
gnurf wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:

Also, the very first page of the Learn to Play guide:

Learn to Play - Game Overview (p.1) wrote:
Arkham Horror: The Living Card Game is a cooperative Living Card Game (LCG) in which one to four investigators work together to... [do stuff]

You should probably actually click the link in gnurf's post, B.D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.