Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael McFarlin
United States
Hainesville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Anyone happen to have both the Anniversary and Collectors edition? Hoping someone can do a comparison between the two, especially interested in seeing the figures between the two as I know some people had problems with some of the paint jobs on the Collectors Edition. If you have both, are you planning to keep both or sell one? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ross
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have both, just the anniversary, and my biggest disappointment was that the collectors came in that amazing wooden box. I'm a sucker for nice boxes (like the one The Reliquary Collection I just picked up from
Josh Edwards
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in an auction). However, when I opened my anniversary I was extremely surprised in how good the box felt and lookes. Very thick, and then the magnetic clasps on the inside were nice and strong. I've heard a lot about the collectors edition boxes having issues openong all the way too. Also...the labeling inside to tell you where everything goes is nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Primus0788 wrote:
I don't have both, just the anniversary, and my biggest disappointment was that the collectors came in that amazing wooden box. I'm a sucker for nice boxes (like the one The Reliquary Collection I just picked up from
Josh Edwards
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in an auction). However, when I opened my anniversary I was extremely surprised in how good the box felt and lookes. Very thick, and then the magnetic clasps on the inside were nice and strong. I've heard a lot about the collectors edition boxes having issues openong all the way too. Also...the labeling inside to tell you where everything goes is nice.

Everything is about the same except:

CE - has wooden box, does not have bound strategy guide
CE - the rulebook is 1st edition. The cards are 1st edition (upgraded cards became available later, and CE folks who wanted to have the 2nd edition needed to buy them; the CE bound rulebook became obsolete).

That's a start.

Anniversary is 2nd edition out of the box and has the bound strategy guide in addition to the 2nd edition rulebook.

Those are the biggies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed

fubar awol wrote:
Primus0788 wrote:
Josh Edwards
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Everything is about the same except:

CE - has wooden box, does not have bound strategy guide
CE - the rulebook is 1st edition. The cards are 1st edition (upgraded cards became available later, and CE folks who wanted to have the 2nd edition needed to buy them; the CE bound rulebook became obsolete).

That's a start.

Anniversary is 2nd edition out of the box and has the bound strategy guide in addition to the 2nd edition rulebook.

Those are the biggies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Burgess
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
I am a CE owner and did the cards upgrade and then just got the map/rules books upgrade from the recent AE. All good now with the best of all worlds!

The books and new map are indeed, beautiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
There is no try...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if I understand correctly, the CE had a lot more minis/characters? (eg. the Balrog and Galadriel..?)

Or am I making that up and all the minis included in both the CE and the AE are the same..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Maxfield
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The CE has additional figures. I dont own it, but I know they at least had siege engines. If you look up the first edition components, I bet you will find exactly what would have been in the CE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
There is no try...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the CE has Galadriel, the Balrog, the Ents, Dunlendings, Siege Towers, Catapults and Corsairs - all painted

Other than that, I would expect the rest of the mini numbers to be the same, just the paint job a bit different (anyone with photos for a comparison?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin L
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The paint scheme is almost identical. Quality is about the same. AE is more matte, CE is glossier. CE brings out the details of the figures a little better I think. AE colors are a bit more vibrant (sharper green on the Rohan cloaks and Sauron orcs, for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
This I think is my running list:

Board
1. The CE has the regions on the board written in Elvish and the language of the set (I've only seen English, but I know German is out there). AE is English only.
2. The AE uses a red-metallic foil for the red lettering in Gorgoroth- this is on the words "Crack of Doom" and the Elvish numbering on the Doom track. The CE is just red.
3. Boards otherwise use the same artwork and I believe are the same dimensions (haven't physically overlayed them, but based on what I've seen and read I think they're right there).

Miniatures
4. The corruption tokens and army tokens in the CE are larger- the ones in the AE match the 2nd edition.
5. The CE comes with about 40 extra figures. This includes the 1st edition expansion setup, with Galadriel, the Balrog, Ents, Corsairs, Dunlendings, Siege Engines and Trebuchets. Most of the CE owners also got bonus Gandalf the White and Aragorn figures as a thank you for patience during release delays, which are not present in the AE.
6. The paint job appears similar in quality to the CE, with some slight color variations. Haven't looked at in too close of depth, but the detail work I saw looked similar, and I saw the same small mistakes in the AE that were present in the CE (my Sam had a small portion of his face that showed white because it was missed with the flesh tone by the painter).

Rulebooks
7. The CE comes with a leatherbound rulebook with the first edition rules. The AE has a nice slipcase with 2 bound books inside- one with the rules, one with a strategy guide written by Veldrin. I'd have liked the AE pages to be a bit glossier, but otherwise the new rulebooks look pretty wonderful. The strategy guide looked pretty in-depth (it has full combat result tables with odds) and is pretty exciting- there's nothing in the CE like it.

Dice
8. Looks like the same dice setup and color scheme in both versions. If there are differences I suspect they're minor.

Draw bag
9. The CE came with a black bag with Elvish writing on it. I felt the bag quality was "ok", but the throat was a bit small and made drawing tiles with my large hands a bit obnoxious. The AE bag has the logo used through the anniversary edition and looks pretty sharp. Will fill this in when I look more closely at the AE- I don't think I dug this out when I checked last night to really feel the material or check the sizing.

Cards
10. The size of cards are the same. The CE came with first edition cards, which could be upgraded with a kit into second edition that released later. The AE came with second edition cards.

Packing components
11. As mentioned, the CE came in a large wooden box carved to look like a book. The box is beautifully done, but is rather bulky to carry and has an issue if the hinge opens too far. The AE comes in a more traditional box, albeit with a black felt-feeling lining on the side and a nice magnetic clasp that keeps an inner box closed when the lid is off unless deliberately opened.
12. The CE came with 7 trays- five for miniatures (one of which has dice and cards), one for tokens and one for the board. Three full size trays and four half size trays. The AE comes with 5 trays- three for miniatures (one of which holds the dice/cards as well), one for the book slipcase, and one for reference sheets and tokens. However, three of the trays are smaller than the two main figure trays, which helps fit them into a smaller space. The board for the AE sits in a niche in the very bottom of the overall box. The AE also came with some nice cardboard spacers, with artwork on one side and a guide to placing figures in the trays on the other.

Each set (both CE and AE) also came with a certificate of authenticity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFarlin
United States
Hainesville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all of the replies. Sounds like if you have the CE edition with the 2nd edition upgrade and bought the Deluxe set with the AE Board and Books, you'd have the best of both worlds. Does that sound about right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sax11 wrote:
Thanks for all of the replies. Sounds like if you have the CE edition with the 2nd edition upgrade and bought the Deluxe set with the AE Board and Books, you'd have the best of both worlds. Does that sound about right?

For the most part. The packing trays for the AE I think are a bit better executed, but then again they've only got the base game figures set in them.

The AE is also a lot better on portability. That wooden box is beautiful to look at and a huge pain to lug around!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
sax11 wrote:
Sounds like if you have the CE edition with the 2nd edition upgrade and bought the Deluxe set with the AE Board and Books, you'd have the best of both worlds. Does that sound about right?

That's what I did. The AE board and book arrived yesterday. Looking forward to playing again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold my CE to buy the AE, and I have no regrets. The beautiful box for the CE was more of a conversation piece than a functional storage solution, so while I loved it, I know that I'll be more inclined to actually play the AE. The most important thing to me was having painted minis, and the new ones look terrific!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puzzlemonkey wrote:
I sold my CE to buy the AE, and I have no regrets. The beautiful box for the CE was more of a conversation piece than a functional storage solution, so while I loved it, I know that I'll be more inclined to actually play the AE. The most important thing to me was having painted minis, and the new ones look terrific!

Agreed on the box, the new box is both classy and functional. That CE box was something to behold, but build quality was not good and it was far too cumbersome.

Also wanted to add, the strategy guide included in the AE is just great. I am happy they went with something close to vellum pages rather than a glossy paper stock, and the book should be required reading for any player of the game (at least once they have a couple games in anyway).

I'm not sure if Ares has or will make the book available via pdf, but they really should. The hunt probability tables, ring paths, and card breakdowns for each side are very useful. Very happy with my purchase of the AE, although I will be touching up or repainting the companions, Nazgul and Northmen regulars as their paint jobs I feel are the worst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
bclayj wrote:

Also wanted to add, the strategy guide included in the AE is just great. I am happy they went with something close to vellum pages rather than a glossy paper stock, and the book should be required reading for any player of the game (at least once they have a couple games in anyway).

modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
bclayj wrote:

modest

Props Veldrin, I made it a point to read all the articles you posted on Ares site and here, but this book is really awesome. I cannot think of a better or more beautiful book written about any modern board game. I hope Ares decides to make it available in both softcover and pdf so as many players as possible can read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weier
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, you mixed up the AE and CE in this one:
tallgrant wrote:
11. As mentioned, the AE came in a large wooden box carved to look like a book. The box is beautifully done, but is rather bulky to carry and has an issue if the hinge opens too far. The CE comes in a more traditional box, albeit with a black felt-feeling lining on the side and a nice magnetic clasp that keeps an inner box closed when the lid is off unless deliberately opened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed- thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Alonso
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the cards in the AE are different to the 2nd Ed upgrade cards, I believe. They have terminology like unconquered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Clensy
United States
Glenbrook
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galonso wrote:
Some of the cards in the AE are different to the 2nd Ed upgrade cards, I believe. They have terminology like unconquered.

Where did you get this info? The reason I ask is I prefer not sleeping my cards so I'd like to just use my 2nd edition upgrade cards and leave the AE cards sealed. If I could find the info I could see for myself if the differences are great enough to bother about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Alonso
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the info by comparing my AE cards to my 2nd ed upgrade cards.
I didn't do an in-depth analysis. But some are definitely slightly different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Clensy
United States
Glenbrook
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galonso wrote:
I got the info by comparing my AE cards to my 2nd ed upgrade cards.
I didn't do an in-depth analysis. But some are definitely slightly different.

Thanks Gabriel.

I guess if there were any actual gameplay changes it would have been mentioned somewhere by Ares, Roberto, etc. I'll just go with my upgrade cards unless I hear that there are some actual gameplay/balance changes.

I really would rather not sleeve, but I also don't want to wear my AE cards if there is no compelling reason to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
thejadeape wrote:

I really would rather not sleeve, but I also don't want to wear my AE cards if there is no compelling reason to do so.

Thus why I will be using only the figures and mapboard from the AE while using all other components from my standard 2nd edition game.....

-SKi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thejadeape wrote:
I guess if there were any actual gameplay changes it would have been mentioned somewhere by Ares, Roberto, etc. I'll just go with my upgrade cards unless I hear that there are some actual gameplay/balance changes.

There were a handful of card edits. No balance changes are intended, only to make the cards rulings clearer and easier for new players to understand.

As an example, Path of the Woses was rewritten to indicate that "If the Shadow Player controls or is besieging Minas Tirith," the Free Peoples Army moves to an adjacent region. The previous card read "If Minas Tirith is under siege or is controlled by the Shadow player," and the worry was that the card may be misread to mean that a Free Peoples army besieging Shadow forces in Minas Tirith cannot be reinforced using the card. Was a FAQ item, but it was decided to be made a little more clear to avoid mistakes in play.

A couple of other touch-ups I'm aware of are:
- Making sure Scouts can't be used when the Free Peoples are attacking (i.e. trying to bunnyhop forward through a Shadow army- should be prohibited as attacking armies do not retreat, they cease attacking) or in a siege battle.
- Notes in Shadows Lengthen and Shadows Gather to clarify that the intervening spaces in the movement must also not contain Free Peoples armies.

There may be more I'm not recalling, but nothing more than clarifications to ensure they're played correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.