Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Wylie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So ...

You secretly choose a space, and if another player places a Worker on that space - even if blocks have been built over it in the meantime - they just straight up instant lose?

Am I missing something here?

It just kinda seems like a cheap victory, moving on the secret "death space" and ending the game.

Considering the Tartarus places their workers first, wouldn't this just force the other player to place their workers next to Tartarus' and just follow them the whole game? This strategy makes it seem viable, I suppose, but assuming I'm interpreting this correctly, does this one seem a bit radical and extreme to anyone else?

Is there more to this than meets the eye?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Wylie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I think about it, the more I can consider how Tartarus' abyss would make for a uniquely tense game ... like tip toeing across thin ice.

I still would be interested to read others' thoughts/opinions/corrections on my interpretation of his rules.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation of the rules is the same as yours. You don't have to follow Tartarus's workers the whole game, though; once you know a space is safe, you can go back to it even if Tartarus has moved elsewhere. But yeah, it seems like for the first few moves you'd want to go wherever Tartarus had just left, to force him to open up the board?

Still, to never give away any information, Tartarus has to confine himself to a small area too. His ability could almost equally well have been themed as a pathfinder or explorer-- neither player really wants to step on a space Tartarus has never stepped on, but Tartarus can when he has to and his opponent can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon R
United Kingdom
West Midlands
flag msg tools
You are correct in how the power works.
The start of the game will involve Tartarus' opponent following him around until they have identified a few safe spaces.

The problem for Tartarus is that he does not have any other power, so in a straight up fight against other gods he is likely to lose. It is only the fear of the unknown that gives him a chance.

Some good ploys with Tartarus are:

- To set up a win, with the only way to stop it being for your opponent to step into a 'risky' space. That is a scary situation.

- To set up a win in a 'risky' space. Even if your opponent can beat you to it, would they dare move into the space?

- To move about erratically, leaving spaces you haven't moved onto at random, whilst building on spaces you have and haven't moved onto. It makes it harder for opponents to remember which spaces are safe and which are risky.

There is also the amusing situation of a complete tower being built on the Abyss, and your opponent not knowing this, so still worrying about where they can and can't move.

If you want to scare Tartarus though, use a god like Minotaur, Charon, Harpies, etc., who can move him against his will.

You only have to enter the Abyss to lose, so forcing Tartarus into it will give you the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget the pure bluff of building a level 3 space that is accessible to both you and your opponent. Will they avoid moving up and instead move elsewhere to dome that space, accidentally falling into the Abyss in the process? Gavan says that his kids keep beating him with Tartarus, so I wonder what level of doublethink he has descended to at this point.

If you have a fast building power, you might be best off to pick a couple squares to work on and just build your way to victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Grimes
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a pretty funny (for me, not my opponent) game where I was Charon and my opponent was Tartarus. I just flung his workers back and forth to explore the board for me and kept track of the mine-swept spaces. I don't think that was a balanced match, but that was back when I was randomly selecting 2 cards instead of hand picking 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Wentu
Italy
Parma
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Tartarus is banned vs. Hecate, why isn't Hecate banned vs. Tartarus? Shouldn't this be symmetric?
thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bans appear in only one direction to keep the list short. Always check both powers (although only expansion powers list bans).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.