Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Variants

Subject: Fan made character classes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebas Nolastname
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would like to see the opinions on how well developed are each of the fan made classes I have found on this forum.

I would like specially to know how well balanced each and if there is no problem with mixing them with any of the other official classes or another unofficial one.

So far I have only tried official classes, I'm gonna try next weekend the Huckster and see how it goes.

Also let me know if there is another one that I didn't find:

General Warhammer - Huckster

paddirn - Occultist

njep - Mountain Man

sceptic42 - Tinker

Sparroed - Harrowed

meyberg - Paranormal Investigator

Sharmat - Martial Artist

andershpetersen - Bounty Hunter

wystan - Wandering Monk

SenorMTD - Trederran Defector

Maximilian Caine - Master of the Hunt

jgheitchock - Renegade Monk

everx - Samurai

dugfromthearth - Frontier Cvalry

dugfromthearth - Lawyer

dugfromthearth - Pinkerton

dugfromthearth - Undertaker

dugfromthearth - Chinaman

dugfromthearth - Veteran

SenorMTD - Town Drunk

Danksta - Snake Oil Salesman

shadoroamer - War Chief

rowangray - The Steel Driver

wystan - WWII American Soldier

ScooterNH - Voodoo Priest/Priestess - very early stage no link yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Meyberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this list!

As some of the classes are more or less influenced by me (and I don't know many, many of them. Sad, but true!) I'd opt to vote for just one of it:

General Warhammer's Huckster is probably the best balanced and fleshed out character class amongst those which I know. It's been through many iterations of playtesting and offers great new twists and surprises for me anytime I start over playing a new Huckster. Well done!

Enjoy all these great custom characters!
Best regards, Jan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya Bastian,

Can you change the link of the Mountain Man to
this thread

I'd feel awkward speaking for my own class, but he has seen a lot of playtesting along other classes, and has gone through a Mountain of revisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Curtis
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also created a WWII US Soldier.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1631263/wip-class-wwii-amer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks also for compiling a list. Nice!

I've toyed with a few of the classes in the list, but some only for a day or so. But will offer comments here on the ones that I've used often enough to really have a decent amount of exposure to.

Huxter : Jans assessment of the Huxter is spot on. Very well done class! The Huxter has been very thoroughly tested and balanced. At this point I think it's mostly tuning to avoid a few odd exploits that might crop up with some spells. I believe there's a few changes floating around the more recent months of posts for it that have not been put into a new consolidated version x.x Huxter. (I'm sort of waiting for that before using the class again as my printed cards are from an earlier version, and I should start fresh with the current version). It's a fun caster class to play with a ton of depth.

Mountain Man : Njeps mountain man is also very complete, and I believe one of his goals was not only to make a balanced and playable class, but also to keep him historically realistic, which can be tricky. He's pulled it off very well. The mountain man can lay down traps to slow and debuff enemies, and has some buff abilities with the trappers upgrades. I have one close to level 4 currently, though have to admit that I think I play him overly cautiously and have yet to enjoy the Prize Quarry and Trappers Upgrade features of the class. So I need to get play more aggressive with him in the future to try those feature out. The mountain man is a good class to play and fits in perfectly thematically. He may be versatile and tough enough to solo - which is something I aim to try soon too.

Paranormal Investigator : Jan really doesn't give himself enough credit! This hero class, loosely based as an old west (maybe steampunk) version of a Ghost Buster is currently one of my favorites for "fun factor". I have one close to level 4, and am creating another one. He's developed a neat system of capturing the essences (life force, or energies) of fallen enemies and has abilities to hold and release that energy for various purposes when needed. In a sense he's a caster class I guess, but really what I like is that it really does NOT feel like you are playing with a sorcerer or dabbling with magic. You might also assume that a Ghost Buster character would border on being kinda silly in SoB, but I think the way Jan has presented the class it fits in really quite well thematically. There's some minor introduction of tech with him, but it doesn't feel out of place here.

For what it's worth, I am currently working on a Voodoo Priest/Priestess class (very early stages). Right now progress is just way to sketchy to even put up for review, but I want to get something out there that people can try over the next month or two. I have 2 miniatures that are perfect, so I have to create playable heroes If you were to add it to your list, that would force me to get it better fleshed out for play testing by others!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebas Nolastname
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
njep wrote:
Heya Bastian,

Can you change the link of the Mountain Man to
this thread

I'd feel awkward speaking for my own class, but he has seen a lot of playtesting along other classes, and has gone through a Mountain of revisions.

Updated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebas Nolastname
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wystan wrote:

updated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebas Nolastname
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ScooterNH wrote:
If you were to add it to your list, that would force me to get it better fleshed out for play testing by others!

For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bastian81 wrote:
ScooterNH wrote:
If you were to add it to your list, that would force me to get it better fleshed out for play testing by others!

For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.

Had to open my virtual mouth didn't I LOL
Thanks for adding it. Will get on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried the War Chief. I got her up to level 4 or 5, and haven't played her since. I think I got melee-character fatigue for a bit (I have a lot of melee characters). And honestly, I haven't really felt the urge to go back to this hero. It was fun while I was using her, but I'm more drawn to other heroes right now. No idea if I'll ever go back to her.

My husband is a huge fan of the Occultist. He has several Occultists of varying different levels, and he almost always plays one of them when we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jan,
Just thought of another Trapper's upgrade
Dark Void Skins
Any turn that you start in the dark, you are Armor 5+.
Or something like that(maybe + 2 init, -1 to enemies defense) allowing you to stealth attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
I encourage all Character Class creators to post links to suggested miniatures for the new Hero class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:
I encourage all Character Class creators to post links to suggested miniatures for the new Hero class.

The Mountain Man is a bit tricky to find one just right. This one is kind of neat since he comes with trap miniatures as well

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/wyr20117.html

I really like the historical line of the Absaroka Mountain Men from Wargames Foundry

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/old-west/old-west-...

However, the scale is off and most of them come off looking like Dwarves with the exception of Wee Jamie Swanson who is almost perfect scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played the Huckster of the list as it appealed the most to me being a fan of Deadlands background and suitably different from anything currently available or coming down the line. For models I went for the tried and tested:

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Huckster

and

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric LAURENT
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where can I find a character card psd Template please ?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Eichmann
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

somebody whos more talented than me has to do some HILLBILLIES with sucker punch ability (interrupting enemy attacks) and painlessness (save 4+ against critical hits because he is a drunkard) and such those thing.

https://shop.battlefield-berlin.de/katalog/artikelinfo/5551/...[/IMG]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.