Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Anachrony» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you build the superproject of the current era when focus marker is elsewhere? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Vandeweyer
Belgium
Haaltert
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are now in era 5.
My focus marker is in era 3 because I sent some stuff back in time.
Now I want to build the superproject of the current era.
Is this allowed?

A: yes, because no matter where your focus marker is, you can always build the superproject of the current era

B: no because your focus marker is not in the current era

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B. You can only build the superproject that is in focus, there's no exception for the current era.

If you want to build this era's Superproject, either do so before you time travel, or else you'll have to wait until next era and time travel back to this one - if no-one else has grabbed the project first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vandeweyer
Belgium
Haaltert
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Thematically strange though, as you open up a portal to the past, while you also keep on doing actions in the present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phanthomus wrote:
Thanks.

Thematically strange though, as you open up a portal to the past, while you also keep on doing actions in the present.

Agreed I cant recall but I may have played wrong and built current regardless of focus but now I play this way.

No big deal as long as you build before you move focus. Its the trade off between do I take X action before its blocked etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Van
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the thematic issue of this. I also wish that you could pay off two warp tiles when going back. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me that you can't!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vanflet2 wrote:
I agree with the thematic issue of this. I also wish that you could pay off two warp tiles when going back. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me that you can't!

Maybe the portal can only handle 1 thing traveling at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phanthomus wrote:

vanflet2 wrote:
I agree with the thematic issue of this.

Imagine the power plant a window to the past. On viewing the past, you can see the research being done on a super project. It's never built, just theorized. But you take that design, compile it with the advances of today, and bring it to life. If you build the one in the present, you're expending your resources to do the same thing on a present project. If you're already looking into the past, you don't have resources to spend on the now.

You may not agree with the theme, but some times games have aspects like this we just have to acknowledge and work with. It's constraint to work within.

vanflet2 wrote:
I also wish that you could pay off two warp tiles when going back. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me that you can't!

Of course it does. It's a balance issue. If you could just go back and recover all your warp tiles at once, it lowers the risk of using them. Everyone would just send two every time because they know they only need one power plant to reclaim both. With the limitation of one, you know sending one is pretty safe, zero is more safe, and two is a bit of a risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vanflet2 wrote:

You can if you have the right power plant. There is a powerplant that allows to travel actions which would allow you to clear two in one turn,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Bradshaw
United States
North Scituate
Ri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I thought your focus reset to current after paying back a tile. I thought past superprojects could not be built once past their era.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dylanbradshaw wrote:
I thought your focus reset to current after paying back a tile. I thought past superprojects could not be built once past their era.

A thought not a rule. A power plant moves focus back and you stay there .A power plants range is always from the current era but focus is not reset to the current era, that only happens in Phase 6.

A PP that allows two time travel actions just means each one can be from 1 - 3 Era's back in time. David has confirmed that you cannot travel 0 Era's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Focus doesn't reset until Phase 6, when they're moved to the next era.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Lindvall
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dylanbradshaw wrote:

You should be using one of your discs to mark your focus. If it was always the current era... you wouldn't need to use it.

By setting to the past, you not only have an opportunity to pay back a warp tile, you can now build that era's project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nan Lin
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vanflet2 wrote:

Not being able to warp two things checks out for me, thematically. I see the time travel as sending multiple tons of a material/multi-ton mechs/a large group of engineers/scientists/administrators inside a hardened habitat that can survive the rigors of time travel. Each time something is sent to you in the past, the maximum capacity was sent. Thus to transport two sets of stuff you need multiple usages of the time machine.

I guess thematically you're using your time machine capabilities to perform industrial espionage to steal all the secrets your need to build the superproject, and while power plants can focus on the distant past, to let it return to the present for more espionage only requires waiting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tuzzi
Italy
Milan
Lombardy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gumps wrote:
vanflet2 wrote:

You can if you have the right power plant. There is a powerplant that allows to travel actions which would allow you to clear two in one turn,

Or you could just use two power plants with enough range to get to that past era and remove two warp tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tuzzi
Italy
Milan
Lombardy
flag msg tools
mbmb
vanflet2 wrote:
I agree with the thematic issue of this.

The designer said it was a balance issue; letting you build SP from the past and still being able to build also the one in the present was way too powerful, thus they ruled it so that you can only build the SP in focus.

It goes without saying that the same reasoning applies to Experiments from the Doomsday Module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.