Subject: Columbus Ohio Cafes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Watson
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
I will be in Columbus for the weekend and a buddy of mine indicated that there were some great gaming cafes in Columbus. Which ones should I check out? Thanks,

Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Columbus resident, I haven't been to any of them. blush

I tend to play what I got at home or a friends house. If I am playing out and about I either take my stuff to Beyond the Board (which has a game library to try out) or The Guardtower (in that order).

If I want to drink while I game, I go to The Daily Growler or one of the breweries around me.

Sorry that isn't exactly what you were looking for, but those are my hot tips on places to play/checkout. Also, there is a CABS meeting this Saturday, doors open at 10am and there are food trucks. That's the big gaming club in Columbus that provides their game library for Origins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about gaming cafes, but if you enjoy good German food and beer, check out Schmidt's in German Village.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friends of mine go to Kingmakers. I hear good things about that. I think it's like $5 to get in and you play with their game library. They'll teach you a game if they aren't too busy. They serve beer and snacks also.

It's my understanding that they are more on the lighter side of games. You might have to bring your own friends if you are interested in something heavy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hillier
United States
Kettering
OH
flag msg tools
WDYPTW Podcast
badge
I am the wurst!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been to two Columbus game cafes - as a out of town visitor I use them as a place to meet up friends.

http://www.tabletopgamecafe.com/ - a few miles north of downtown.

No cover fee. More of a coffee bar with snacks. Decent library. Bright at a good amount of seating for the times I've been there.

also

http://kingmakersfun.com/locations/

downtown

More of a bar scene, cover charge, darker because it is in a lower level. Good library.

Tabletop let's you bring your own games - I think Kingmaker does not. You may want to check in advance.

Of the game stores - Guard Tower and Beyond the Board are the only stores with a game area I'd probably play at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

CABS ... Columbus Area Boardgaming Society meets all day Saturday ...

Will have a food truck onsite in the late afternoon / evening.

https://www.facebook.com/events/155655021612399/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Clark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a board game cafe, but I would check out Beyond the Board which is a game store near the Dublin area. They tend to have tournaments and stuff on the weekends, but a good environment and they have a medium sized library of games to try out.

Here is there Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/BeyondTheBoardLLC/

I've also been to Kingmakers a few times and had good experiences. Can be a popular place though so getting their earlier might be better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince G.
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen much "pick up game" action at Kingmakers; people seem to come in groups and play together. So if you're traveling alone it may not be the most fun experience, but if you have your own group of players it is a good place to visit.

No outside games or food allowed at Kingmakers - plan time to eat at one of the many great restaurants nearby. I've seen people playing fairly heavy games there, but the library certainly leans toward lighter stuff.

I haven't tried Tabletop yet. Seems my family prefers going to the place that serves beer over the place that serves coffee. (sigh)

If you are on your own, I'd +1 the recommendation for Beyond the Board - they have open gaming on week days and seem pretty friendly and open. And of course CABS if you're in town on a Friday or Saturday. Check the links given above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Hitt

Worthington
Ohio
msg tools
Tabletop now serves beer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince G.
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krivens wrote:
Tabletop now serves beer.

This is good news! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.