Popular Tags: [View All]
What's the deal with board games?
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all I got out of the game a few months back, right before Mk III was released, so I've got no skin in the game. I still keep my ear to the ground because I have friends that still play.

So, in the last couple of months, PP axed the faction-specific forums, ended the Press Ganger program (probably due to the related MtG lawsuit), and started the CID program, presumably so gamers can do their playtesting for them?

Meanwhile Games Workshop is opening their forums back up. This seems odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stanstanminson wrote:
First of all I got out of the game a few months back, right before Mk III was released, so I've got no skin in the game. I still keep my ear to the ground because I have friends that still play.

So, in the last couple of months, PP axed the faction-specific forums, ended the Press Ganger program (probably due to the related MtG lawsuit), and started the CID program, presumably so gamers can do their playtesting for them?

Meanwhile Games Workshop is opening their forums back up. This seems odd.

It seems to me they are doing some major damage control, and cost-cutting measures to ensure solvency.
This seems to be the only explanation.

Let's take a look at the past year:

Perceived value of their product was low - they introduce the 'Free Rider' Policy.

MK3 releases shortly after - so is an errata document fixing all the major mistakes in the rulebook (let's just not talk about the wall template not being found anywhere but the starter boxes and not even in the main rulebook) and some OP and wonky rules interactions. It seems it was rushed to print again as damage control for shrinking sales.

CID introduced, and the PP forums were then gutted. No more physical cards. No more stats in any rulebooks = less pages and smaller print runs. Not many are going to buy books when the PDF is free. So, they can print a lot less books and never have to print cards again.

Press Gang no longer supported. No more product to give away to the volunteers, and the cost of running events and staffing them falls on true altruism (and let's face it, PP isn't winning any awards for community support right now), or the LGS paying staff to run events.

All of these things add up to one thing - major cost-cutting.
I would take a wild guess, and wager that PP isn't doing so hot right now. Major cost-cutting and huge shifts in how you do business only happen when the straits are dire. This is especially true for large companies like PP. And all of this has been done in less than a year.

My guess is that official, local events get canned right away as well.
We can probably expect them to be traded publicly shortly afterwards. Or they'll get bought out. Or they'll fold. The last one is highly unlikely though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What's the deal with board games?
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info, I didn't realize physical cards were gone. I guess it makes sense if they're going to introduce a more rapid errata cycle.

I had a lot of fun with the game but the introduction of Mk III felt like a cash grab, and while it did fix a major problem with Mk II (infantry spam) it didn't improve the game in a measurable way.

If I got back into miniature wargaming it would probably be a lower model count game like Malifaux or even Guildball.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stanstanminson wrote:
Thanks for the info, I didn't realize physical cards were gone. I guess it makes sense if they're going to introduce a more rapid errata cycle.

I had a lot of fun with the game but the introduction of Mk III felt like a cash grab, and while it did fix a major problem with Mk II (infantry spam) it didn't improve the game in a measurable way.

If I got back into miniature wargaming it would probably be a lower model count game like Malifaux or even Guildball.

With games like that, and Batman Miniature Game using major, and well-known IP's are making their way to forefront of gaming.

The Warmachine/Hordes scene here is still pretty strong and I personally enjoy the game. But, not when it devolves into a net-decking enterprise before each game. I like the theme and most of the models, and it's not really the rules that are the problem. It's more the hyper-competitive community that fosters net-decking with almost no emphasis on casual, fun games.
Some of the best official events I ran weren't tournaments - they were narrative special events that were fun and less focused on the winner-take-all mentality.

With smaller model count games, it's just easier to get into, and even more-so when the models are less expensive, or are well-known characters from popular IP's.

The Batman mini game is taking the place of Warmachine for me though....5 models average per side, and just as crunchy, diverse, and characterful as PP's games. Plus, it has resource management, which is one of the main reasons I enjoy Warmachine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:

The Warmachine/Hordes scene here is still pretty strong and I personally enjoy the game. But, not when it devolves into a net-decking enterprise before each game. I like the theme and most of the models, and it's not really the rules that are the problem. It's more the hyper-competitive community that fosters net-decking with almost no emphasis on casual, fun games.

I just wanted to quote this bit, because it accurately reflects my feelings about the game. I'm still looking for a casual community, but everyone seems focused on playing 75 point games, training to find the perfect list combo for the next tournament. I was playing regularly when Mk 3 dropped, as there was a Journeyman League going on, but I wandered away when that did off and things went back to business as usual. Now I've been spending most of my time playing Dust 1947, but I still paint some Warmachine stuff with an eye to playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Returning to this subject a year after, it appears that Warmachine might not be doing so well.

There's a big thread, 9 pages long on Dakka about it:
https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/760961.page

And then there's this:
https://store.privateerpress.com/what-s-hot/mystery-box-blow...

And now that a good portion of their business is now direct, and through their own webstore, along with the huge based models only available from the PP store.
It is quite evident why the 'Free Rider' policy was initiated.

The latest model from 'Black Anchor Industries' (PP direct-only huge based model store) is $164.99US.

It's obvious the policy was instated to reduce online competition.

By all appearances, the games seem to be dying a slow death. With GW kicking it into high gear, and gaining a lot of fan loyalty back, this might leave PP in a bad spot. Include the amount of mini wargaming competition available these days and things don't look promising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.