14 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Solo players: Do you find one character is Treasure hording? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Playing solo seems to completely change priority over who gets treasure tiles. I find myself almost always grabbing it with my scoundrel as its most convenient to move faster and loot. This has created a problem though as she is loaded up with goodies that she can't share with the others. Have you house-ruled sharing treasure if playing solo or are you trying to spread the wealth?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Dynalange129 wrote:
Playing solo seems to completely change priority over who gets treasure tiles. I find myself almost always grabbing it with my scoundrel as its most convenient to move faster and loot. This has created a problem though as she is loaded up with goodies that she can't share with the others. Have you house-ruled sharing treasure if playing solo or are you trying to spread the wealth?

My Scoundrel is also a hoarder (somewhat conveniently given her life goal).

I don't feel a need to share post-scenario. Part of the challenge is getting loot distributed usefully to your characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serial Mind
Canada
flag msg tools
When you retire, you lose all the treasure that you have collected, but all enhancements persist to the next version of that character class. Take this into account when you are looting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dynalange129 wrote:

Not just a solo player thing. Some characters are just better at acquiring loot than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
serialmind wrote:
When you retire, you lose all the treasure that you have collected, but all enhancements persist to the next version of that character class. Take this into account when you are looting.

I've found I'm pretty terrible at looting with anyone other than my scoundrel. I've pretty much removed the loot cards from my Spellweaver and Brutes decks. I'm leaving way to much money on the board and should be more greedy which may result in more exhaustion but more advanced characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bennett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our last two group games I have (just) managed to out loot our scoundrel as a Tinkerer 9-8 then 10-9. An opportune loot action can be huge. Even 4 or 5 coins adds up and will help in the long run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be crazy, but I roleplay my characters and sometimes they go after loot to the detriment of the team, my tinkerer is a great looter with his move cards, my mindthief who actually wants the gold badly (due to personal goal) has bought boots to help him get to the loot first sometimes.

I find that I like the band of mercenaries story when trying to make decisions. I.e. what is best for me, not necessarily what is best for the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm running Brute, Scoundrel, and Mind Thief. The Mind Thief always has 2-3 times the loot at the end of a scenario than the other two. I guess it depends on your group but I usually can't afford to have the Brute or Scoundrel use a turn on loot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hausig
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a few scenarios where I had the scoundrel make a dash for treasure as her cards ran out. Once, this let me unlock the treasure tile before failing the adventure and that treasure came in handy for the second try. Another time, I just barely beat the adventure but would've had no chance to loot with another character if scoundrel hadn't gone for it. In that game, scoundrel also kept a group of monsters from advancing and overwhelming the rest of the party by spending her last long rest as a punching bag.

I'm sure at some point there will be some redundant or useless gear that gets sold back to the town but so far having a dedicated looter has worked out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, my scoundrel does seem to grab a bit more but she also almost always exhausts quicker than my mindthief or cragheart. Certainly in the last two scenarios the mindthief has come home with pockets bulging.

But yeah, I love the conflict of to loot or not to loot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Mindthief loots hardcore everytime, while my Spellweaver wishes there would be a ruling for sharing treasure.

Before I got the game I thought I'll definitely houserule the "not sharing" rule. Now, I don't know, it kind of feels "wrong" to do that. The not sharing is part of the challenge I guess. But yeah, it hurts sometimes to have my Spellweaver finishing with zero gold... again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Our scoundrel always obtained huge amounts of loot, due to the card "Move 4 and loot every square you enter" (especially if paired with +2 move boots).

My brute barely looted at all, because I don't think his loot card is any good, so he was mainly standing on corpses to loot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sar Athas
msg tools
Quote:
I find that I like the band of mercenaries story when trying to make decisions. I.e. what is best for me, not necessarily what is best for the group.

Can't agree more. I (as a Tinkerer) am the one who even steals gold from other players, i.e. looting spaces that other players want to occupy later in the turn devil, trying to support as much as needed to max my income (as opposed to supporting as much as possible)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In roleplaying games, characters often share wealth, but have to pay upkeep. If you decide on a rule change that increases utility (and makes the game easier to play), you need to add another rule that decreases it (to keep game balance). Upkeep is usually paid "between adventures", and you could introduce a game variant (eg. deck of card events) where characters get into mischief costing them money and other this-and-that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.