Popular Tags: [View All]
Thaddeus Griebel
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Colonists is on sale on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Mayfair-Games-MFG3519-Colonists-Game/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan

Poughkeepsie
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only scratched the surface, but I am digging this game. Good deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks as dry as sandpaper, so I've steered clear but I do like a good mid weight Euro. How does this stack up against others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGreatHamEl wrote:
Looks as dry as sandpaper, so I've steered clear but I do like a good mid weight Euro. How does this stack up against others?

I suspect your comment is partially bait, but I'm not sure a 3.99 complexity rated 360 minute game is "mid weight". laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGreatHamEl wrote:

This isn't even remotely mid weight David. While I enjoyed the game it is absurdly long with anything more than 2p and even at the low end of the player count is going to be at least a 5-6 hour affair for a full 4 era game.

I haven't given up on it yet, I'm going to try the accelerated game where you skip the first 1 or 2 eras but it's still going to be a good 4 hours being that the later eras are where the real action is, and turns are considerably longer the more resources you've got to work with.

Worth noting I have absolutely NO problem with long heavy Euros. I absolutely love Roads & Boats for example and will gladly devote a day to it anytime.

My biggest reservation with The Colonists is that I didn't feel like I was doing anything differently in hour 6 than I was in hour 3. I was just moving more valuable resources around. (most late game tiles are identical to early game ones just using more expensive resources)

So in the end I was left feeling like I could scratch the same exact itch with any number of Uwe resource conversion games or Keyflower in a fraction of the time. One of the people I played 3p with (after 9 hours) declared that it felt like Ora et Labora if you just tacked on 6 more hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Dangerfield
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 19 bucks in amazon rewards.................... trying not not purchase this game but I'm a sucker for a good deal. I never buy from amazon if its not cheaper than CSI / MM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.mortificationofspin.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
30 mins per player per era with experienced Eurogamers.

That means four players x four eras = 8 hours.

If you have the group and the time, this is a good price!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phillip wilson
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Funagain on the "other sellers" is backordered but $0.05 cheaper (69.28). The cheaper this gets, the more temping it is....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Varian
United States
Franklin
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if it's worth it - but One Eyed Jacques (EBAY) has three used copies for $45 + shipping. For me, it comes out to $55 (I live fairly close), but it might be worth it for someone. "Used" from OEJ usually hasn't been too bad in my experience

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taxers wrote:
30 mins per player per era with experienced Eurogamers.

That means four players x four eras = 8 hours.

If you have the group and the time, this is a good price!

All 8 people in our group that have played this are seasoned Splotter/18xx players and not one 4p game was done in 8 hours. There are multiple forum threads with reports of 4p games running as much as 12 hours!

The question isn't whether you have the time it's whether it might be better spent playing other games.

Just to balance the anecdotal scale, of the 8 players I mentioned:

1 absolutely loves it and will play any time
1 enjoyed it and wouldn't turn down a game at any player count
1 enjoyed it and might be willing to play with 2-3 players max (myself)
5 would indeed rather invest that time playing other lengthy heavy euros
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
So in the end I was left feeling like I could scratch the same exact itch with any number of Uwe resource conversion games or Keyflower in a fraction of the time. One of the people I played 3p with (after 9 hours) declared that it felt like Ora et Labora if you just tacked on 6 more hours.
Thanks for that. I still want to play it, but I am going to wait to see if I want to buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Von Duck
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:

The question isn't whether you have the time it's whether it might be better spent playing other games.

This.

Game looks great, I'd like to play it, but I have so many games that I can play instead, and save myself $70-$80. While this is clearly a deep game, I feel like I can scratch the same itch with Caverna or Keyflower, and still have plenty of time to play 5 other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
Thanks for that. I still want to play it, but I am going to wait to see if I want to buy it.

Definitely give it a try Bryan, and certainly at least through era 3 as I don't believe a 1 or 2 era game even gets to the interesting stuff. (mostly the higher level Colony powers)

As for my group, a couple liked it more than I. A few wanted to burn it with fire. I look forward to hearing which camp you land in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Griebel
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, the game is long, but it also plays well solo. If you like resource conversion chains, don't hesitate to try this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan McAnulty
United States
Gallipolis
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trumpetman36 wrote:
Not sure if it's worth it - but One Eyed Jacques (EBAY) has three used copies for $45 + shipping. For me, it comes out to $55 (I live fairly close), but it might be worth it for someone. "Used" from OEJ usually hasn't been too bad in my experience

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

I was on the fence, but that price for a ding and dent pushed me over. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
TheGreatHamEl wrote:

I suspect your comment is partially bait, but I'm not sure a 3.99 complexity rated 360 minute game is "mid weight". laugh

I put absolutely no stock in that rating, honestly, so I didn't even bother looking. And no, I wasn't baiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGreatHamEl wrote:
Misterboy wrote:
TheGreatHamEl wrote:

I put absolutely no stock in that rating, honestly, so I didn't even bother looking. And no, I wasn't baiting.

Not even penny stock? Not even beef stock?

I hear you though. That rating isn't super reliable, but I find it is a decent benchmark and has its uses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.