Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SmallRobot Painting
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

just got this game and I am confused by the marker..

I have a Mythos card that made me discard all the expedition cards matching the current location of the expedition marker.. where does it go then?

Do i just move it to the newly displayed 'card back' on the exhibition deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Reference Guide, "Expedition Encounters" section:
Quote:
If the top card of the deck changes for any reason, move the token to the appropriate space.
"Any reason" includes discarding the top card of the deck, shuffling the deck, returning part of the deck to the box and various other shenanigans. Token is always at the location displayed on the top card of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
Quote:
If the top card of the deck changes for any reason, move the token to the appropriate space.
"Any reason" includes discarding the top card of the deck, shuffling the deck, returning part of the deck to the box and various other shenanigans. Token is always at the location displayed on the top card of the deck.

i have a splitting-hairs question about that which probably doesn't make a difference one way or the other, but i'm curious if it might under some odd corner case: for the Expedition counter i've gotten in the habit of moving it as i draw the top card, before resolving that card, because drawing is one of the "any reasons" mentioned above. OTOH, doing so "might" affect certain outcomes by changing the current Expedition space in mid-action. i don't have an example, and i don't know all the cards (i don't read them until encountering them in a game), so this might not even be a thing, but i'm curious if someone has an example of when doing so (moving the token as the top-most card is drawn, before resolving that card) might change the outcome compared to waiting until the Expedition encounter is completed before moving the token.

:-?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:
Quote:

i have a splitting-hairs question about that which probably doesn't make a difference one way or the other, but i'm curious if it might under some odd corner case: for the Expedition counter i've gotten in the habit of moving it as i draw the top card, before resolving that card, because drawing is one of the "any reasons" mentioned above. OTOH, doing so "might" affect certain outcomes by changing the current Expedition space in mid-action. i don't have an example, and i don't know all the cards (i don't read them until encountering them in a game), so this might not even be a thing, but i'm curious if someone has an example of when doing so (moving the token as the top-most card is drawn, before resolving that card) might change the outcome compared to waiting until the Expedition encounter is completed before moving the token.

:-?
How I would rule this if I were the designer:
Encounter card can either be in the deck or in the discard pile (or in the game box). It's never "in the air" waiting to move to another location.
You pick up the card for convenient reading but formally it still occupies top of the deck until you discard it after resolving the encounter.
So the top card doesn't change and the token doesn't move until then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.