BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Health / Active Gaming Options rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garret Rempel
msg tools
publisher
mb
My wife and I have noticed that there seems to be a gap in gaming options for kids, games that actively promote healthy living and physical activity.

That's not to say there aren't plenty of toys, especially for toddlers, that require active involvement. But most games that do are outdoor games - physical competition games, and the like.

Now it may just be that living in Canada where it's been snowy and freezing since early-November (4.5 months of winter and counting!) but there are a lot of times where its simply too cold to go outside and stay outside for long. Which can leave us scrambling to find an outlet for the crazy energy kids can get when they are cooped up inside.

In order to try and help provide some fun boardgame options that include physical activity for our kids we've even started developing and producing our own (check out Go Fish Fitness - currently live on Kickstarter)

But what I'm wondering is how big of a gap is this? Is there a good opportunity to develop more games like this? Or am I just not finding them?

Do any of you know of some good options that you can recommend that fit this model?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Meyers
United States
Central Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pingo Pingo

A wild and crazy slap-jack variant that will have you running around the room to touch placards and shoot targets with a dart gun. Yes. A dart gun is included. It even looks like a pirate's one-shot muzzle-loading pistol. Needless to say, you must stand to play this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea about any games, but I just wanted to say that I think your game is really cute and looks fun, and I respect what you're doing and your expertise. For $16, taxes in, I just threw a backing your way Good luck!

edit: you should make a BGG page for your game! I know that makes people here more likely to back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garret Rempel
msg tools
publisher
mb
Thanks for your support. I have submitted a page request for it, but it's still pending (the backlog is huge!).

And I'll check out Pingo Pingo - I'm pretty sure my 2 year old son would go wild with shooting things .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Reilly
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good call trying to get kiddos active. A good one is Richard Scareys Busy Busy Airport. If you put the destinations scattered about the kiddos are encouraged to fly their planes to the different destinations. Also maybe check out Dancing Eggs by Haba.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paula Barber
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
We had this version of [geekurl=https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Planet-46001-Hyper-Dash/dp/B000TTPEXU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489085987&sr=8-2&keywords=hyper+dash]Hyper Dash[/geekurl] when my kids were little and they played it for years. The older they got, the more spread out the disks would be placed. They had massive amounts of fun with friends dashing all around the yard trying to beat the fastest time. Even now as tweens, they still pull it out for a friendly test of speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kansiewicz
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feed the Woozle is another good one to get kids and adults active during game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twister is of course a classic, as are some of its newer variants, Twister Hopscotch, Twister Hoopla, etc. We have Dancing Eggs,Busy, Busy Airport, Green Eggs and Ham: Speedy Diner, Cat in the Hat: I can do that!, Planes Sky Race Action Game and Dr. Suess Super Stretchy. There are also a few yoga inspired games, like The Yoga Garden Game and a few dance games like Angelina Ballerina Dance With Me Game. If you want something a little different, maybe Dungeon Fighter?, but I find that it's a bit too hard for kids. I'm sure that there are more out there, but these tend to be games that are highly themed with cartoon characters, etc. Many games have a dexterity or action component, but most don't get you too active. In my house, we still do kid yoga dvds, Dance Dance Revolution type video games, battling with foam swords and nerf guns, and going to a bounce house or gymnastics place...along with some of the above games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally forgot about it, but I shouldn't have. Happy Salmon is right up there as a high-energy exercise game, like the Dancing eggs game but on steroids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garret Rempel
msg tools
publisher
mb
We are now approved and up on Board Game Geek - Come check out Go Fish Fitness!

Kickstarter end April 6th - we're already at 41% funded in 5 days, and Early Bird discounts are going fast!

Thank you everyone for your great suggestions for active games - I'm planning on checking a few of them out in the near future (one of my daughters has a birthday coming up in a couple of weeks - and she's been asking for a new game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garret Rempel
msg tools
publisher
mb
Update - Go Fish Fitness will be available in both English and French! We will be producing Go Fish Fitness in both official languages - and you will be able to select which language (or how many of each if you've chosen a reward with MORE than 1 deck) you would like to receive through the backer survey after the campaign has ended.

https://www.tricorngames.com/kickstarter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.