Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
So i know how to play basic pandemic, yet i dont own it

my gf got me this one as a present

but i dont have the copy in my hands yet, but seeing through pics and some reviews i have to make some questions.

so in normal pandemic there are different colored cubes (3),here there are only one color cultists, how does this affect the game? can the cultists chain spread like in normal pandemic? i really liked that mechanic when it read about base pandemic (if there are 3 in a spot it spreads to close towns)

that's my main concern. other than that is it easier or harder than pandemic?
oh and i hope the greek translation is good. i hate translated games because of the errors.. let's hope

i really like cthulhu stuff but i feel kind of meh that i might get a game that the original is a better game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of causing outbreaks, whenever there is three cultists at a location they perform a summoning ritual. This means an Old Ones card is flipped and a negative effect is resolved.

And I would say that it is hard. I can't say it's harder than Pandemic because of card draws, but my first game we had 3 summoning rituals in the first round and we ended up losing. This game is brutal and less forgiving the vanilla Pandemic. Plus going insane and having your player abilities modified makes for a difficult game too. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstringer wrote:

but i dont have the copy in my hands yet, but seeing through pics and some reviews i have to make some questions.

so in normal pandemic there are different colored cubes (3),here there are only one color cultists, how does this affect the game? can the cultists chain spread like in normal pandemic? i really liked that mechanic when it read about base pandemic (if there are 3 in a spot it spreads to close towns)

oh and i hope the greek translation is good. i hate translated games because of the errors.. let's hope

i really like cthulhu stuff but i feel kind of meh that i might get a game that the original is a better game

There are no outbreaks in this game like regular Pandemic so you don't have to worry about chain reactions.

I'd recommend looking at the rulebook as that will help answer your questions more than looking at pictures
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/134185/pandemic-reigh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
bummer, i really liked the outbreak mechanic and chaining.. i guess it didnt work here because the map is smaller. ill miss that

edit : at least it has cute figures and artwork

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually prefer the Cthulu version more than vanilla as we believe it is easier

You can share the actual color of the town you are in, so only need to be in the same place in the town, rather than individual spots on the map.

But beware, the game can be silly brutal if you get an old one that has really bad effects on your characters or the board

We also play the Iberia version more than Vanilla, as that has different mechanics(i think i need to stop buying Pandemic games...lol)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
[[img]https://boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=Krsnaji&numitems=5&header=1&text=title&images=medium&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=left&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1[/img]
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstringer wrote:

This Grumpy old man says: Please simply read the online rules.
Please do not just lackadaisically internet inquire of what is obviousy already available information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Max. I've played Cuthulu several times and I do enjoy it more then Vanilla. Iberia is a GREAT version of Pandemic and I will play that over Vanilla anyday.

I found the Insane mechanic kinda hollow. It works but it just feels like it's included because it has to be. The shuggoths moving towards the gate is a great mechanic that does add some tension and thematically makes sense.

All and all, we'll end up playing Culthulu around Halloween or when we need our "mid march Halloween fix" and stick with Legacy or Iberia the rest of the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Night on YouTube recently did a play through with full rules explanation. That should give you a perfect insight into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johann Stralau
msg tools
Grimstringer wrote:

Not only that! All the graphical elements, such as layout, texture choice, icons, type etc. are absolutely lovely in this game. The whole art direction is just really, really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
Krokobold wrote:
Grimstringer wrote:

Not only that! All the graphical elements, such as layout, texture choice, icons, type etc. are absolutely lovely in this game. The whole art direction is just really, really good.

i changed my mind with the game, i really like the figures and the content, if i find it too easy ill just change some rules(how you can travel), and i might implement outbreaks cause i really like it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Krokobold wrote:
Grimstringer wrote:

The only think i didn't like at the art were the arts for the old ones. Some are very uninspiring and I think 3 or 4 of them resembles dragons... I don't know why the artist pictured shub-niggurath or nyarlathotep as dragons...
Dagon is another whose the art does not resemble his description (he should look like a giant deep one, and there are very good descriptions of them at "the shadows over innsmouth"
Hastur sucks, as also does azatoth...

Besides that, i do like yog-sothoth artwork. I think that he is the only one whose artwork resembles description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games are freaking awesome. Pandemic gets more awesome with the expansions of course, the other day I got destroyed with the State of Emergency expansion, but was so much fun.

Reign of Chuthulu is amazing as well. The cultists don't spread like the disease does in regular but the game is hard enough because of the different 'events' that happen throughout the game. Theme is just great and the art is outstanding.

I would recommend both. Expansions with the regular though, State of Emergency and In the Lab.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.