Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Logan (spoilers in pretty blue boxes) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things:

1. Why is this movie coming out now, during one of the two annual Cinematic Dead Zones where weaker movies are released to wander like ill-formed transporter accidents into a sere wasteland that will scour the scabrous flesh from their bones mere steps from the escape pod ramp? Why isn't it a summer tent pole that will manfully shoulder its way to a cool billion dollars?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Because this movie needs to be left alone. It would not play well with others.

2. Everyone thinks they want to see an R-rated Wolverine movie, you know, without all the mayhem hidden behind bodies, scenery, and jump cuts. Finally we'll get to see Wolverine as nature intended, with lopped limbs, adamantium claws inside surprised mouths and poking out the backs of heads. This is like an eight-year-old in front of Disney's Haunted Mansion, fists on hips, talking about how cool it's gonna be to see some ghosts and how it's all pretend and they're not scared at all...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I WANT MY MOMMY
8 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a little worried they were going to go cheesy overboard with the violence but I think they handled it well. No super slow mo wanna be 300, just clear shots of violence. So happy they didn't go pg13 and have a million cuts for one punch.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Dat "dream sequence" that wasn't no dream sequence. It just kept going on and on and I was pleading for it to be a dream even as it became increasingly obvious it was really happening. Fucking genius.
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
Also:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Dat "dream sequence" that wasn't no dream sequence. It just kept going on and on and I was pleading for it to be a dream even as it became increasingly obvious it was really happening. Fucking genius.


Which scene was that? Forgive me, I hadn't seen any trailers and didn't follow any pre-release buzz or discussion...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I went into the theater having never seen the previews and, in my innocence, I expected it to be just another X Men movie, maybe a remake of that Wolverine one that they screwed up back in '09.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The moment the Deadpool teaser came on, I realized that this wasn't going to be your average superhero movie and I quickly strapped on my big girl pants and settled in for the ride.

Holy. Crap. What a ride it was.

That family, I knew they were dead as soon as they invited Wolverine and the gang back for dinner, but I didn't want to believe it. Even as it was happening, I was like "Oh no, no no no! This is a dream. It has to be a bad dream!"

I still can't even face what happened at the end. I just ... what?? How could that be the end? Ahhh!

I swear I felt violated when I left the theater. Like what just happened?


Definitely the best movie I have seen in a long while!
1 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it true that...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Half of the brutal violence is delivered by a 12-year-old girl?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Is it true that...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Half of the brutal violence is delivered by a 12-year-old girl?

Yep.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Is it true that...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Half of the brutal violence is delivered by a 12-year-old girl?



Edit: dammit, too slow. Oh well, I'm leaving it.
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked it. But two things bugged me about it:

1.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Where are they getting all these expendable mercenaries or whatever they are? Every time they go after him, or some other dangerous mutant, a dozen of these guys get killed. Doesn't anyone notice? Are there no repercussions to all these deaths? Do none of them ask the obvious question in the job interview: "So, you want to hire two dozen of us to be mutant hunters, eh? What happened to the last two dozen that used to work for you?


2.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
What was the big deal about crossing the border into Canada? These people are utterly evil. They've got no problem torturing children, but they've got scruples about political jurisdiction boundaries? Even when they're out in the middle of wilderness where no Canadian citizen - civilian or law enforcement - is there to witness them crossing the border.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
I really liked it. But two things bugged me about it:

1.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Where are they getting all these expendable mercenaries or whatever they are? Every time they go after him, or some other dangerous mutant, a dozen of these guys get killed. Doesn't anyone notice? Are there no repercussions to all these deaths? Do none of them ask the obvious question in the job interview: "So, you want to hire two dozen of us to be mutant hunters, eh? What happened to the last two dozen that used to work for you?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
the bad guys are part of a massive cooperation. One part of that is defense contract work, the kids were to be weapons. If your company is making the big bucks via cooperate military it makes sense to have a large standing army. And in a world with mutants any related field would be crazy dangerous, seems like they do get benefits for the risk though fake limbs that nice I'm sure are expensive


2.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
What was the big deal about crossing the border into Canada? These people are utterly evil. They've got no problem torturing children, but they've got scruples about political jurisdiction boundaries? Even when they're out in the middle of wilderness where no Canadian citizen - civilian or law enforcement - is there to witness them crossing the border.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
they had a specific time because there was in fact some ominous support in Canada. Being that its across the border also probably means its supported by Canada. Further hints that its a mutant team because they wanted the crossing time so no satellite could witness them. They were stopped by fear not ethics or law, again probably a hint that the company knew about it as that would be their competition.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked it. The tiny advance of the future with those asshole trucks was cute. I just wish they did the same thing to the combine harvesters... sped them up and had them trying to run over people.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hamzy wrote:
I really liked it. The tiny advance of the future with those asshole trucks was cute. I just wish they did the same thing to the combine harvesters... sped them up and had them trying to run over people.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
robot they did their part!!!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
I really liked it. But two things bugged me about it:

1.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Where are they getting all these expendable mercenaries or whatever they are? Every time they go after him, or some other dangerous mutant, a dozen of these guys get killed. Doesn't anyone notice? Are there no repercussions to all these deaths? Do none of them ask the obvious question in the job interview: "So, you want to hire two dozen of us to be mutant hunters, eh? What happened to the last two dozen that used to work for you?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
the bad guys are part of a massive cooperation. One part of that is defense contract work, the kids were to be weapons. If your company is making the big bucks via cooperate military it makes sense to have a large standing army. And in a world with mutants any related field would be crazy dangerous, seems like they do get benefits for the risk though fake limbs that nice I'm sure are expensive

Spoiler (click to reveal)
That doesn't make sense. Even huge corporate defense contractors can't afford to have dozens of employees killed on every project. And fake limbs aren't going to do any good for a dead person.


Quote:
2.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
What was the big deal about crossing the border into Canada? These people are utterly evil. They've got no problem torturing children, but they've got scruples about political jurisdiction boundaries? Even when they're out in the middle of wilderness where no Canadian citizen - civilian or law enforcement - is there to witness them crossing the border.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
they had a specific time because there was in fact some ominous support in Canada. Being that its across the border also probably means its supported by Canada. Further hints that its a mutant team because they wanted the crossing time so no satellite could witness them. They were stopped by fear not ethics or law, again probably a hint that the company knew about it as that would be their competition.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Which contradicts one of the things in the movie: that no new mutants are being born. And surveillance satellites aren't going to be continually monitoring a wilderness area. And if it's some other competing company based in Canada, then those kids still aren't safe. Now they're going to be hunted down by the Canadian company. Fear? If they're not afraid to go up against Wolverine and X-23 and Professor X and all those super-weaponized kids - who had already killed doesn't of armed, trained soldiers with mechanical limbs, what more is there in Canada to be afraid of? Sasquatch?
 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
That doesn't make sense. Even huge corporate defense contractors can't afford to have dozens of employees killed on every project. And fake limbs aren't going to do any good for a dead person.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
eh, your just doubting the xmen universe then. This company is massive, they were able to control the global food supply. This world is war torn, constant war and terrorism with superpowers. I can imagine plenty of people would sign up for a high risk high paying job in such an unstable world. With such a focused storyline of the movie we don't see all the successes these henchmen have had, I assume this is their one bad day.


Phil Fleischmann wrote:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Which contradicts one of the things in the movie: that no new mutants are being born. And surveillance satellites aren't going to be continually monitoring a wilderness area. And if it's some other competing company based in Canada, then those kids still aren't safe. Now they're going to be hunted down by the Canadian company. Fear? If they're not afraid to go up against Wolverine and X-23 and Professor X and all those super-weaponized kids - who had already killed doesn't of armed, trained soldiers with mechanical limbs, what more is there in Canada to be afraid of? Sasquatch?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
no new mutants are being born is what we're told yet here were following a whole group of them. In this world of xmen racism and nationalism are through the roof it makes sence that tensions between the US and canada are far from what we have in the real world. Satellites are constantly in motion they don't need to be watching a single spot to be turned and look somewhere else. I think your underestimating satellites of the real world, and they would be plenty more in this xmen world.
And yes fear, they were going agents some very old mutants with next to nil of their strength and a bunch of kids who were far from done thats why they were scrapped. What was across the boarder would be something well prepared. Most likely something with the government support. For all we know it could be a jet with a few missiles. Or a new xmen team. And thats more what I meant by competition, competition on the battlefield.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that bugged me was

Spoiler (click to reveal)
how well edited that cell phone video was even though she only made it the night before.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
eh, your just doubting the xmen universe then. This company is massive, they were able to control the global food supply. This world is war torn, constant war and terrorism with superpowers. I can imagine plenty of people would sign up for a high risk high paying job in such an unstable world. With such a focused storyline of the movie we don't see all the successes these henchmen have had, I assume this is their one bad day.


Spoiler (click to reveal)
no new mutants are being born is what we're told yet here were following a whole group of them. In this world of xmen racism and nationalism are through the roof it makes sence that tensions between the US and canada are far from what we have in the real world. Satellites are constantly in motion they don't need to be watching a single spot to be turned and look somewhere else. I think your underestimating satellites of the real world, and they would be plenty more in this xmen world.
And yes fear, they were going agents some very old mutants with next to nil of their strength and a bunch of kids who were far from done thats why they were scrapped. What was across the boarder would be something well prepared. Most likely something with the government support. For all we know it could be a jet with a few missiles. Or a new xmen team. And thats more what I meant by competition, competition on the battlefield.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
But those kids are "manufactured" mutants. And yes, these "far from done" have already killed plenty of highly trained adults. Are they really thinking, "Sure, I'll help hunt down these living weapons! I've got maybe a 1% chance of survival! I like those odds!" And if all this is going on as you say, you'd think the US would have simply conquered/annexed Canada by then.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the things that bugged me:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Oklahoma City is not ringed by mountains. Albuquerque is, but not Oklahoma City.



Spoiler (click to reveal)
If you are chasing someone from Texas to North Dakota, encounter them in Oklahoma City only to have them get away and head north, and then you try to pick up their trail next to a highway sign that reads

Ada 15
Oklahoma City 90



then you have headed SOUTH and you are too stupid to try to catch anyone. Go home.


Spoiler (click to reveal)
I know it was in the future, but if there will ever be a casino in downtown Oklahoma City, it will be owned by an Indian tribe, not Harrah's.


4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.