Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Wagner
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From Fel Barros (Lead Developer):

[i] I've worked with Eric on Godfather and Bloodborne before this and I played a lot of Blood Rage and some of his games before and IMO , Rising Sun is his best design to date. The game is very elegant yet choke-full of decisions. I am usually not big into diplomacy/negotiation but it is integrated seamlessly into the game and it's one of the many roles you will have to learn to play this game well. It's a very good game and I do believe most players who like heavy player interaction will love it.

1) You can only recruit where you have strongholds. Daimyos, bushis, shintos and monsters are placed where your stronghold is. Stronghold placement is very important.

2) Shintos can be placed on the map as well. Your bushi quantity is really limited and gods can be hotly contested so if you are low on honor it might make sense to have them to stay on the map. Also , it is harder to betray a shinto as you need to have a shinto yourself to replace during a betray.

In Rising Sun, we had dozens of players coming to try and most every game , they came up with something new , creating a very heavy player-driven environment. Unlike regular eurogames, where you have a "hermetic" experience with very little influence from other players and you can " do your thing on your own" , Rising Sun is a totally different beast, where players' interaction will play a big role and the players' themselves heavily influence the outcome of the game.

KS Monsters will be added after you chose your set and will add replayability to it.

You have some monsters and cards that drives you to a low honor strategy. Again, it's a matter of choice, being contested etc .. decisions can be done quickly but you will regret a lot of them later. It's the kind of the game that will scratch a itch after a first time experience where players long to play again to avoid the same mistakes.

Rising Sun 3 players is a different experience. There are 21 actions in the game, in the 3-player game, everyone will do 7. Alliances are based on who is winning, betray happens quite often and the board presence/harvest is less crowded, so you might not want to ally depending on your position on the map.

It is more strategic and not as reliant on diplomacy as the other players counts (still important) but a really enjoyable and solid experience that plays in about an hour and a half or less with 3 players!

The game has 3 seasons and a 4th just for scoring (Winter)

Spring, Summer and then Autumn.

Each season has their own cards , wars and you reset the gods between them.

Beyond the 12-card per season, you have a couple more KS exclusives (we're trying around 14 cards per season right now).

As for being OP, all of them are under playtesting/scanning to avoid any OP/broken things but being an exclusive, it is important to be fun/different from the regular one but not breaking the game in any aspect whatsoever!

You will be able to add (2-3) to each season in addition to the regular 12 cards.

This is the official ruling but of course players will go different routes about it

Just a small correction, I am the lead developer for Rising Sun.

Eric Lang is the only game designer.

The game , indeed , looks great and there is more to come in the following days

From Eric Lang (Game Designer):

There are black click on bases (like in Blood Rage) for the Daimyo and white bases for Shinto of each clan.

We play tested with these extensively, and found visuals are quite clear.

Eric

My thoughts:

My first KS backed, and so far it has been fantastic. The plastic Ronin tokens, the plastic Alliance tokens, the War Markers and plastic Mandate upgrades our great additions. The plastic Strongholds and heavy cardboard cards all great additions. I know I could have just said "I love everything", but it all does look marvelous!!

Love the KS exclusive monsters and the 6th clan included as a stretch goal, just a great roll out by CMON. Hoping for 2 additional clans, even if they are add-on purchases. Would be well worth it to have 8 clans to choose from.

I watched all the free stuff they were giving for Massive Darkness and hoped they would do something great with Rising Sun.

Looks they have built on Blood Rage and the Massive Darkness successes to really improve and increase the value of getting in on the KS. Good chance of exceeding $4 million in this campaign.

The game info quoted above from the designers makes it sound as if this game will not only look incredible but will feature amazing game play. Some of the mechanics with the mandates remind me of Twilight Imperium. Another bonus in my book.

So far the only disappointment is the scheduled delivery of April 2018. I was expecting Christmas. Hopefully there will not be an additional 3 month delay. Can not wait to get my hands on this set and get it to the table with 6 clans ready to vie for control of the land of the Rising Sun!!

Edit Notes: Revised to give proper credit to the developer and designer. And to add another shout out to how fantastic it all looks. May just be marketing but I certainly like what they are marketing!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Pifferi
Italy
reggio Emilia
Emilia-Romagna
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Summary of Designer Comments on BGG
Well that's my first CMON Kickstarter and I'm really looking forward to add-ons and SG!!!
But oomething that I really want to have is high quality for non plastic components... I read that Blood Rage has poor quality cards (and very little ones) and the player boards were just heavy sheets and not real cardboards! So I'm hoping in overall better quality and not just MORE MINIS over this KS
Also something really interesting could be a box for putting all the SGs that will be unclocked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwagner wrote:

My thoughts:
My first KS backed, and so far it has been fantastic.

?

All it is so far is marketing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first CMON KS not as a late backer, so I've had interests in follow along with their other campaigns. This will most likely not get delivered in April. You have to know that going in to avoid disappointment. The game will not arrive on time, but you will get it eventually, and when you do it will be a great day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Senior Game Developer at CMON
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
FakeDutch wrote:

Looking forward to it!!

I hope there will be more female clans, or at least Daimyo's!!

Can you tell us where the role of the designer ends and when the developer's role starts?
Like the artwork and such: has Eric any influence (or even interest) in that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Wyatt
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
jeffwagner wrote:
From Fel Barros (Lead Developer):

Rising Sun 3 players is a different experience. There are 21 actions in the game, in the 3-player game, everyone will do 7. Alliances are based on who is winning, betray happens quite often and the board presence/harvest is less crowded, so you might not want to ally depending on your position on the map.

It is more strategic and not as reliant on diplomacy as the other players counts (still important) but a really enjoyable and solid experience that plays in about an hour and a half or less with 3 players!

Very glad to hear this: I was worried the alliances would be OP in a 3 player game. This makes me feel better about 2v1 issues that might arise. Still looking forward to a rulebook, though. (and a look at those season cards in detail).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Developer is the person responsible for making sure the game mechanics proposed by the designer are working.

Eric hands to the development team a "finished game" (meaning it can be played from start to finish without breaking and with rules he assumes are 'final'). And then we playtest it and iterate a lot to check for balance issues, cards problems, weird interactions etc.. development does not create the game, just make sure everything is working as the designer intended. Of course , sometimes, something will slip by. (Remember the Caverna interaction where you had infinite resources?). One example is a card costing 3 that nobody buys , you lower to 2 and people suddenly purchase it. Or an specific clan that is winning a lot and needs some small nerfs.

Rising Sun is a VERY elegant game in the sense of everything being pretty straightforward and with very few exceptions/invisible rules so all the "fixes" must be done in order to keep the simplicity/elegance of the design.

As for artwork, you can read more about Eric's participation here:

https://cmon.com/news/the-aesthetic-beauty-of-rising-sun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojciech Giżyński
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FakeDutch wrote:
Just a small correction, I am the lead developer for Rising Sun. Eric Lang is the only game designer.

Were you a (lead) developer for Blood Rage as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FakeDutch wrote:

An international lead developer for Rising Sun. laugh

As much as CMON's (and KS) been criticized for pretty much everything, they've brought French and Brazilian game designers to Ameritrash games, Spanish sculptors to boardgames, and other countries not known -- by American audiences -- for games.

And playtesting is hard work. Keep it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
And playtesting is hard work. Keep it up!

I can think up far worse jobs ...

Well I very much hope to see all your other planned content revealed!!
Is it true that the whole campaign and content is already determined/planned beforehand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
United States
Rocky Hill
CT
flag msg tools
To be vulnerable ...
badge
... is needed most of all.
mbmb
MrMT wrote:
jeffwagner wrote:

My thoughts:
My first KS backed, and so far it has been fantastic.

?

All it is so far is marketing.
I assume he's just saying that so far it's been a very exciting, fun experience. Reading about the game and seeing the stretch goals as they come out (CMON's kickstarters tend to be exciting in my experience)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfiinger
msg tools
Interesting that they mention up to 8 clans might be available. Would that be eight players or just 8 to pick from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beam022 wrote:
FakeDutch wrote:
Just a small correction, I am the lead developer for Rising Sun. Eric Lang is the only game designer.

Were you a (lead) developer for Blood Rage as well?

It would be an honor but I joined Cool Mini after that (unfortunately)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldfiinger wrote:
Interesting that they mention up to 8 clans might be available. Would that be eight players or just 8 to pick from?

The game will not go above 6 players. It's a 3-6 players game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Diplomacy and other games with betrayal, sometimes people really get their feelings hurt. I know that's part of the mechanic, but is there anything in this game that facilitates betrayal so that it's more excusable? I hope I make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read that Eric Lang was going to try to make his games more attractive for female players.
Any chance we will get another female clan? It can't be so that 5/6 (or even 7/8) will be led by a male Daimyo?

ayejae wrote:
In Diplomacy and other games with betrayal, sometimes people really get their feelings hurt.
I know that's part of the mechanic, but is there anything in this game that facilitates betrayal so that it's more excusable? I hope I make sense.

Lol indeed. I heard long lastig friendships got destroyed by playing Dimplomacy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.