Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Tokyo (a light one), Monopoly Deal The one your wife wants) and TtR (a widely accessible gateway).

Have all three and tell them a little a bit each (1 min quicky not detailed)

Then gauge there reaction to them. Heck if they pick Tokyo and enjoy, they will probably have time and want to try one of the other two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to suggest it, but you do own Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't Break the Ice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TtR is always my goto. Also Qwirkle is accessible and a good opening game to play.

We like Monopoly Deal Card Game ourselves but we've never found others interested in it.

We also like Chinatown for new people because it is socially engaging.

For new people, Catan is fun if you can scale the points back to seven. It goes quick but gives people a taste of game play and it feels like a race.

Edited because I forgot: Codenames: Pictures This is super fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that Tsuro of the Seas is a good, gentle "introductory" game. It does have player elimination, but it's mostly players eliminating themselves. And it's quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wilcox
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor is a good easy to learn game for four, each game does not take too long and is still available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ruby
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would try Carcassonne. I find this to be a real good gateway game that is easy to grasp, and play. Maybe play the first game without farmers for added ease of play/explaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Telestrations, Codenames, Wits & Wagers. Anything which gets people talking will work as an ice breaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how about Pandemic but with no quarterbacking of course. The theme is engaging and easy to relate to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RubyGamer wrote:
I would try Carcassonne. I find this to be a real good gateway game that is easy to grasp, and play. Maybe play the first game without farmers for added ease of play/explaining.

Yes +1 to this. Carcassonne is great but the farmer can be frustrating to newcomers. One can easily win a game with farmers.

Just like I introduced Stone Age and had them disregard the bottom of the cards. People who know Stone Age will win with the cards all day. It's hard to explain that runaway concept to new ones. But after a play you can say "now look at your cards, this would mean you get..."

I'm sure there are other opinions on this but if someone is new to games, end game scoring just hasn't been a thing for them until now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Kessinger
United States
Smiths Grove
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jade Knight wrote:
I find that Tsuro of the Seas is a good, gentle "introductory" game. It does have player elimination, but it's mostly players eliminating themselves. And it's quick.

This. I've played this with up to 8 people at a time and many were not gamers and I've never had a complaint and everyone wants to play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
I'd pass on Catan for this occasion. TTR seems perfect. Monopoly Deal sounds fine and it doesn't last terribly long if they don't enjoy it.

Defenitely give some options. I usually get out 3-5 games that I think new people will be able to pick up quickly (games with minimal options per turn), give them a quick overview, let them look at the boxes and have them pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Jones
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your collection, I think Love Letter and Camel Up are also solid choices for this occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is pretty good as a gateway.

Kingdomino is light and quick

Stockpile is simple and easy to understand and fun.

Alhambra

Las Vegas is always a huge hit

Edit
Didn't see the can't get new games for that night comment.
So my games would be for future I guess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.