Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
I purchased the 2016 edition and wanting to expand.

I see there's a new Power Up on the way to go with this. I assume that has to do with the new vs. old monsters...

Am I correct in saying that the Halloween add-on only goes with the old edition?

This Cthulhu pack that was released. Is that intended to work with the new version or the old version? Or does it really work with both?

And if I go with King of New York is that a mistake? Are they going to be coming out with a new version of that also?

Just want to make sure I get stuff that's compatible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john greeb
United States
flag msg tools
mb
drneau wrote:
I purchased the 2016 edition and wanting to expand.

I see there's a new Power Up on the way to go with this. I assume that has to do with the new vs. old monsters...

Am I correct in saying that the Halloween add-on only goes with the old edition?

This Cthulhu pack that was released. Is that intended to work with the new version or the old version? Or does it really work with both?

And if I go with King of New York is that a mistake? Are they going to be coming out with a new version of that also?

Just want to make sure I get stuff that's compatible.

The new Power Up expansion is expected to contain Evolution cards for the 7 monsters in the new (2016) King of Tokyo along with Evolution cards for the 1st edition monsters (Cyber Bunny and Kraken).

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/86b5ef429e18a455409eac703/file...

I don't believe there is anything in the Halloween add-on that makes it exclusive to the 1st addition. The two new monsters come with their Evolution cards. The costume cards are not exclusive to individual monster (in fact, you can steal them from other players).

It looks like the Cthulhu pack works with 1st or 2nd edition King of Tokyo and will also work with King of New York. It includes King of Tokyo appropriate Evolution cards and ones for King of New York.

When they came out with King of New York, many initially thought it would kill King of Tokyo since it was more "deep", with more choices. However, it's looking like more and more people are appreciating the simplicity in Tokyo.

I don't expect a new version of NY is planned. Even if it is, considering the new PowerUp has cards for both 1st & 2nd edition Tokyo, it looks like IELLO is doing everything they can to make old & new "King" fans happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
Thanks for responding.

I think my biggest concern was how they changed the design on the back of the cards from v1 to v2.

For instance, the costume cards that come with the Halloween expansion wouldn't really work with v2 due to that change.

Are there any other gotchas like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything is compatible with everything, as far as I know.

The new stuff is a result of iello losing the rights to the old art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
drneau wrote:
Thanks for responding.

I think my biggest concern was how they changed the design on the back of the cards from v1 to v2.

For instance, the costume cards that come with the Halloween expansion wouldn't really work with v2 due to that change.

Are there any other gotchas like that?

The halloween cards, like you were guessing, are the only issue. The art on the card backs have changed. You can work around this with card sleeves though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
So I know one thing that changed from v1 of KoT to v2 was the style of the artwork and how the cards are more explanatory by using symbols.

Does KoNY use that newer style artwork and explanation of v2, or is it more along the lines of the old v1 artwork?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
JGreeb wrote:

The new Power Up expansion is expected to contain Evolution cards for the 7 monsters in the new (2016) King of Tokyo along with Evolution cards for the 1st edition monsters (Cyber Bunny and Kraken).

Does it also support the Target exclusive version of KoT?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Green
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If memory serves the artwork is closer to the old version in most cases. The power explanation doesn't rely on the symbols overly much though and some of the cards are fairly verbose. The powers do tend to make there effects much clearer than the original King of Tokyo though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.