John Sommers
United States
Aiken
SC
flag msg tools
I'm thinking of getting one of these, but can't make up my mind if I want the WWII or the modern.

Recommendations?

I like either one, so WWII vs modern is not the problem. Is WWII easier to play or more challenging? etc?

thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on which milieu turns your crank.

I picked up Modern when it first came out and liked it, but I knew from the get go that I would love it if it came in WWII flavor. That was recently proven true. Of course, I'm a WWII bug.

I will say that an advantage Modern has is the Jungle (Drug) war set of cards, which gives enemies that can be considered as training exercises for the new player. The Middle Eastern cards are harsher, and you will get no such quarter from any set of cards in WWII. Just be more prepared to learn as you burn.

Have fun, whatever choice you make. It's a great system!
---
edit: typed too fast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have both and of the two my favourite is WFWWII. In WFSF it was rare that things went South but in WFWWII you are continually worrying about a bad die roll or event. Since I got the game in December it has been on my table permanently. I love the way you can play all the different sides and the possibility of developing scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crusher Crancko
Spain
Boadilla del Monte
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope the next ks with the modern expansion will add more to the modern version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.