Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Bentley
United Kingdom
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just passed my minis to a friend to paint up. After posting his impressive efforts at one set of Scythe minis he has now got 10 sets on the go.
He pointed out that my set (Spec Ed) had smooth figures which is very noticeable on the animals. There is a feeling of fur but mainly look smooth. The other sets that he had had extremely pronounced fur on, for instance, Nacht.

Any one else seen this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Dueck
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The molds that create miniatures have a production life and need to be retooled depending on how they wear during the manufacturing process.

There will be natural variations from character to character and depending on when the various molds are retooled during the various print runs.

Its part of the natural run of producing miniatures, especially ones with very fine detail like hair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Geery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed this when I got my standard copy in December 2016, a great deal more detail especially on the fur of the figures compared to the figures of the copy our group had played prior to that. It was purchased earlier, not sure when exactly but seems to have come from a different casting run for the figure molds at least. Even the images on the box appear smoother.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darcy said it perfectly: "The molds that create miniatures have a production life and need to be retooled depending on how they wear during the manufacturing process." During that process, our production team makes small changes to increase the durability and details of the miniatures.

The images on the bottom of the box haven't changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed this too! All the reviews and shots I've seen, e.g. on BGG, seemed to have a smoother texture, while my retail copy (arrived a week ago!) is almost... rough-textured. It seems like paint would adhere much easier to mine.

It's different enough that I almost wonder if it's a slightly different kind of/mix of the plasticine base itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug: I think we were able to increase the hardness of the plastic even more due to some of the adjustments to the mould--that's part of our goal for increasing durability. Though even with harder plastic, sometimes design and packaging decisions can result in broken parts, like we saw on some Albion mechs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey:
Awesome! I thought it seemed a bit different.

The plus side is that none of my mechs seemed to have the warping that I've seen prevalent in a lot of shots (the Polania mechs' guns seem particularly susceptible, but mine are perfect).

I need to get ahold of the expansion so I can bring this to the table with my whole family and I can play as our Celtic forebears. *grin*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bentley
United Kingdom
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all comments. Sounds like it was an improvement made over time. I look forward to posting pics of the painted figures soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Dueck
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Psychobob99 wrote:
Sounds like it was an improvement made over time.

No, there will continue to be the same natural variation in the future as there has been in the past. It is an unavoidable part of using tooled molds; extremely fine details will continue to vary as molds continue to get retooled and replaced during manufacturing runs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darcy:
I read Jamey's reply as contradicting that. He said that

Quote:
I think we were able to increase the hardness of the plastic even more due to some of the adjustments to the mould--that's part of our goal for increasing durability

That reads to me as "adjusting the actual composition of the plasticine", not simply the moulds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug: Both are true. Darcy's statement is definitely true about Scythe--moulds simply aren't made to last through 100,000 units of a game, so we've already had to either update or replace them several times. During that process we were also able to upgrade to a harder plastic that wasn't available to us at the time of the original printing (the difference is small, but I'd rather use the best materials available).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey:
This brings up a slightly OCD point for me: since I don't yet have the expansion, is there some sort of indicator (SKU, serial #, etc.) where I could tell which production run the Invaders sets were from so that I can get components that most closely match the ones I've got?

Next point: how to sneak a copy of Invaders in the door when I'm on a game-buying pause? *grin*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug: Thanks for your question. There isn't an indicator (all retail boxes are the same), but any copy of Scythe you find at a retailer now is going to have the latest version of the miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.