Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Beaudin
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
9 Scenarios in, I'm loving my Spellweaver. However, I specialized her in a very specific way. Since the grass is always greener, I'm interested in builds that other Spellweavers have gone for and if they're successful or not. I'll post my build and if we have any other Spellweaver main's in here, I'd like to see theirs as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Beaudin
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Build: Crowd Control

The Gist
: Send out as many muddles/stuns as you possibly can, in order to let your damage dealers get in there and finish the job.

Party Requirements
: A lot of enemies (3 or 4 person party). Damage Dealers in your party, you won’t be dealing much damage.

Key Abilities:
Cold Fire (L3) - Possibly the best ability she has for Crowd Control. With Ice on the board, it will throw out 2-3 stuns on a discarded ability.
Icy Blast (L2) – The first room of many scenarios has a large clump of enemies. Whichever ally gets hit may get hit multiple times. So, tossing disadvantage on a sizeable (3-6) group of enemies is great. The Ice creation is important too.
Frost Armor (L1) – Any Level 1 Spellweaver knows how dangerous 1 hit can be. Ignoring 2 is excellent. Creation of Ice is the cherry on top.
Reviving Ether (L1) – I can’t imagine a Spellweaver who wouldn’t have this listed as a key ability.

Tech Abilities Choices:
Freezing Nova (L1)/Spirit of Doom (L4) – For an emergency burst heal that’s lost (which is ok if you do it in the same turn as Reviving Ether) or Ride the Wind (L1) – For an emergency long-distance move that’s lost (also ok if paired with Reviving Ether)

Perks: +1 Freeze, +1 Fire, then whatever you’d like.

Equipment:
Eagle Eye Goggles – My favorite item for a Spellweaver. Grants advantage on a group of attacks. I normally get 2-3 attacks using these, which means 5-10 enemies hit with advantage.
Invisibility Cloak – There are just times when it’s needed.

Strategies:
The goal is to get as many attacks of Ice Imbued “Cold Fire” out as possible to stun lock your enemies. With that in mind, turn 1, you’ll use “Frost Armor” or “Icy Blast”. Turn 2, you’ll “Cold Fire” as early as possible. Then, your group should mop up the remains in T3&4. Rest before the next room, get “Cold Fire” back. Rinse and repeat. When it’s time to “Reviving Ether”, try and pair it with a powerful Bottom Ability that’s Lost, so you can use the bottom first and get it immediately back. My choice is “Ride the Wind”, because I often find that movement is an issue with a Spellweaver, so a big move is a priority.

Pro’s: Stuns, stuns, stuns.
Decent group damage when positioned correctly.
Because of the AOE attacks and Eagle Eye Goggles, she cycles through her modifier deck quickly, so powerful modifiers such as +1 Freeze, +1 Fire, and +1 Curse come up often.

Con’s: Terrible Single Target Damage
Weak against shields (buy the bow if your party has no shield-killers)
Movement for all Spellweavers is poor. You often have to prioritize movement over loot.
Poor EXP gain. “Cold Fire” doesn’t provide any EXP, so once that becomes the priority, your gains will lessen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played her straight range damage:
Reviving Ether
Fire Orbs
(Easily the best attack in the deck. Especially with Goggles and Piercing Bow.)
Mana Bolt
Flame Strike
Impaling Eruption
Frost Armor
Freezing Nova
Crackling Air

At level ups I took:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Level 2: Flashing Burst got rid of Crackling Air
Level 3: Cold Fire got rid of Freezing Nova
Level 4: Forked Beam got rid of Frost Armor
Level 5: Engulfed in Flames got rid of Impaling Eruption

Items I used were:
Eagle-Eye Goggles (Sometimes: Hawk Helm)
Cloak of Invisibility
Piercing Bow
(Sometimes:Volatile Bomb and Heater Shield)
Boots of Striding
Heal Potion, Stamina Potion, and Stun Powder
And sometimes personal quest item:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Staff of Xorn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Miller
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My build at level 3 very similar to others here.
I am glad to see others view the piercing bow as and essential.
Of course Cloak of In has saves me at least once a dungeon and stamina for sure, I think the idea of boots of striding make a lot of sense! Eagle eye of course...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Gentzel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played five scenarios and just hit level 3. Current build (granted, haven't played since hitting level 3):

Cards:

Reviving Ether
Frost Armor
Mana Bolt
Flame Strike
Cold Fire
Icy Blast
Fire Orbs
Impaling Eruption

Items:

Eagle Eye Goggles
Flea Bitten Cowl (will probably replace later)
Boots of Striding
Stamina Potion

Perks:
+2 Fire added twice
+2 Cold added once
Remove four +0s

Basically, I'm hoping to build up for a ton of strong Cold Fire attacks.

And yeah, until now my XP gains have been the highest on average than anyone else. We'll see how adding Cold Fire impacts my XP gains.

The Bow... I'm tempted by, but I don't loot as much as some (*cough*Scoundrel*cough*), and it being a one-time per scenario makes me hesitate some. That said, it appears to be the best hand item for me we've found so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Miller
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Bow... I'm tempted by, but I don't loot as much as some (*cough*Scoundrel*cough*), and it being a one-time per scenario makes me hesitate some. That said, it appears to be the best hand item for me we've found so far.[/q]

I got the Loot level 3 card...gave my Scoundrel party member a real treat taking 7 coins a once!! Ah you should have seen the look of death she gave me, highly recommended!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thorsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Spellweaver just reached level 6. She's built mainly for damage and a bit of control.

Card List:
Reviving Ether
Impaling Eruption (enhanced to range 5)
Fire Orbs
Icy Blast (Level 2)
Cold Fire (Level 3)
Spirit of Doom (Level 4)
Chromatic Explosion (Level 5)
Frozen Night (Level 6)

Perks:
Remove four +0 cards
Replace one -1 card with one +1 card
Add one +0 stun card
Add one +1 wound card
Add one +2 fire card
Add one +2 cold card
Add one light card and one night card

Gear:
Boots of Striding
Cloak of Invisibility
Eagle-Eye Googles
Moonlight Earring
Minor Stamina Potion

There are also a Cragheart and a Mindthief in the party. They have proven to be quite the effective team with one failure in thirteen missions. Most of the time the Spellweaver gets ca 20 XP and ca 15-20 gold per mission.

The one great negative with this build is that it is slow with an average initiative around 70.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liang Xia
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm surprised no one here has mentioned the mystic ally. He is a free range 2 attack 3 spell for every round.

The best part is that, unlike other summons, he'll never get left behind when summoned early in the scenario because the SW can recover the lost summon card and bring him into the fight again at the end of the scenario.

Maybe people think he is too fragile to keep alive? But when paired with any melee champion and the SW's naturally slow initiative, he is usually pretty safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hatch
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never being the mystic ally because I have more important cards to bring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hatch
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*bring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
HuckgirlN wrote:
*bring

You can edit your posts if you want to

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hatch
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I know I can, but I would have to open it in the browser on my phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HuckgirlN wrote:

I took that card out for most games, but certain types of missions (don't want to go into spoilers, but especially some that are not about killing everthing), I've found it to be quiet helpful to have some distraction around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hatch
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My level 4 Spellweaver's most likely build is:
Frost Armor
Impaling Eruption (enhanced to range 5)
Cold Fire (lvl 3)
Spirit of Doom (lvl 4)
Fire Orbs
Icy Blast (lvl 2)
Ride the Wind
Reviving Ether

Most likely sub in:
Freezing Nova for Cold Fire or Icy Blast

I actually subbed out Spirit of Doom in favor of Freezing Nova for our last scenario

Items:
Cloak of Invisibility
Minor Stamina Potion
Minor Power Potion
Comfortable Shoes

Perks:
(X2) Replace one -1 with one +1
Add one +2 fire
Add one +2 ice
Add one redraw daylight one redraw night

Will post my build for my previous lvl 7
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hatch
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ovis wrote:
HuckgirlN wrote:

I took that card out for most games, but certain types of missions (don't want to go into spoilers, but especially some that are not about killing everthing), I've found it to be quiet helpful to have some distraction around.

Yes, I did use it occasionally on my previous build, but I wouldn't have considered it a crucial part of my build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hatch
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Previous lvl 7 Spellweaver:
I don't really remember which cards I was most likely to sub in, but here is a list of my cards most likely to be brought along.

Reviving Ether
Fire Orbs
Impaling Eruption (range 5)
Frost Armor
Icy Blast (lvl 2)-most likely to be subbed out
Cold Fire (lvl 3)- 2nd most likely to be subbed out
Spirit of Doom (lvl 4)- 3rd most likely to be subbed out
Engulfed in Flames (lvl 5)
Living Torch (lvl 6)
Stone Fists (lvl 7)- only got to play one scenario with this before retirement

I didn't write down her items because she had about 25 of them lol

Perks:
Remove 4 +0 cards
(X2) Replace one -1 with +1
Add one +1 wound
Add one +1 curse
Add one +2 fire
Add one redraw earth one redraw wind
Add one redraw daylight one redraw night

She was always wildly successful and the reusable attacks let her last a tidbit longer before getting lost cards back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised to see so many people taking Icy Blast at level 2 when Flashing Burst is so strong. Those two cards aren't even in the same ballpark to me in terms of power level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hatch
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Temelin wrote:
I'm surprised to see so many people taking Icy Blast at level 2 when Flashing Burst is so strong. Those two cards aren't even in the same ballpark to me in terms of power level.

I would rate a 7 hex area attack for 2 as better than a reusable attack 3 at range 3. My Spellweaver burns bright. Maybe it's better for a slow burn SW? Does that build even exist? My previous SW lasted til about the end of scenarios almost every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HuckgirlN wrote:

I would rate a 7 hex area attack for 2 as better than a reusable attack 3 at range 3.

This is where we differ. Losing cards takes them waaaay down in my book. Plus the slow initiative on this one. Plus the bottom ability is pretty bad compared to reusable move 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hatch
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Temelin wrote:
HuckgirlN wrote:

I would rate a 7 hex area attack for 2 as better than a reusable attack 3 at range 3.

This is where we differ. Losing cards takes them waaaay down in my book. Plus the slow initiative on this one. Plus the bottom ability is pretty bad compared to reusable move 4.

I would agree if we weren't talking about the Spellweaver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hatch
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I am curious what the win loss record is for people commenting here (general and not just with the Spellweaver).

We have played 23 separate scenarios with 2 total losses (first scenario and a scenario we let a friend play 2 of our characters).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On normal difficulty I don't find the game challenging. I would expect most people are winning an over whelmin majority of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HuckgirlN wrote:
Temelin wrote:
HuckgirlN wrote:

I would agree if we weren't talking about the Spellweaver.

I only play with level 6 or 7 monsters, so if I'm losing a card it has to be doing something incredible, otherwise I would exhaust way too early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
Card choice for my level 3 spellweaver from last scenario (2 exp to level 4):

Reviving Ether
Impaling Eruption
Fire Orbs
Frost Armor
Mana Bolt
Cold Fire (Lvl 3)
Aid from the Ether
Flame Strike

Occasionally I switch one of the lower cards with Icy Blast (Lvl 2, so far I regret not chosing the other card), Ride the Wind and/or Crackling Air, depending on group and scenario. Freezing Nova and Hardened Spikes rarely see any use in my deck (although the later would probably make a good one round retaliate combo with the Brute's Wall of Doom).

My Items are (still on prosperity level 1 ):

Minor Power Potion (awesome with the AoE spells)
Minor Healing Potion (because we had no more stamina potions left)
Cloak of Invisibility
Eagle Eye Googles
Piercing Bow
and some nice Boots, which I looted at a random Scenario

Perks:
1x +1,curse
2x +2,ice
1x +2,fire

next Perks will be the second +2,fire and then remove 4x +0

So far I lost only one early scenario with 2 players and Crackheart due to running out of cards too early. We are only playing on normal difficulty though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just started playing a Spellweaver after watching two different players approach her...

I like Flashing Burst better than Icy Blast, because I liked the way one of them approached it: Make ALL the elements!!!! (Her first perks were the rolling opposition elements, and the +2 Fire/Ice elements.) It's way easier to use the spellweaver if there are plentiful elements to consume.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.