Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Spencer
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to the 18xx community and have purchased several titles that are readily available from larger publishers (1846, 1830, 1844/54). I am having a blast playing and learning the system!

After discovering Deep Thought Games, I decided to place an order and currently I am ~1300th in line. After reading several of the posts in this forum, my hopes of having the games I've ordered in the 7-11 month estimation have diminished.

I'm not sure if this has been asked before but has Deep Thought ever considered selling PnP files for the games they publish? I think they could work something out with the designers as far as royalties are concerned. Or better yet, have the designers ever given this any consideration themselves. It seems that most of the games had PnP files for playtesting prior to production that were readily available via BGG and the 18xx Yahoo group. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only newbie that would be willing to pay a reasonable cost for the files so that I could print and assemble it myself.

By no means am I faulting Deep Thought for the long wait for their games. I fully understand the time and effort it takes to hand make a boardgame, not to mention a high quality one but this option could alleviate some of the availability issues that hinders newcomers looking to explore 18xx's design space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it has been discussed at length. Probably here and certainly on the Yahoo mail list. Ultimately, the files that Tamplin uses for producing games are very specifically tailored to his own software and hardware flow and would be far less than ideal for anyone else to use. Additionally, making his files publicly consumable and then available for said public is an expense of time, money and labour on his part for little gain other than to give away freely what he invested much time putting together. In short, it's not happening.

More importantly, however, is the fact that all of DTG's games are or will very shortly be available on demand from either All Aboard Games or Golden Spike Games and so the issue of availability is essentially no more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep Thought barely makes games anymore. As the other poster mentioned, you can buy games and get them pretty quickly from All-Aboard Games and Golden Spike Games:

https://sites.google.com/site/aagamesllc/
http://www.goldenspikegames.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wystan Benbow
United States
Stoneham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Blazars are a special type of active galaxy that indirectly pay for my boardgame habit
badge
Life is good!
mbmbmbmbmb

I believe John made 18EU available for free download:
http://www.deepthoughtgames.com/games/18EU/downloads

I did get those files, but have yet to do anything with them. I suspect many are in the same boat.

Over the years, I have acquired PnP files for:
1800, 1849, 1895 Namibia, 18AL, 18GA & 18NL; Not sure if any of those are Deep Thought titles (I suspect none are).

In terms of Deep Thought, I have had an order in the queue for 6 years. I don't expect it to be filled, even though I think it is less than 100 from the top. If you want to pick up a DTG title, my impression is you need to go to one of the big 18xx cons & order the new hotness (e.g. Chatanooga with an 18Dixie order in 2016).

The All-Aboard & GSG sources are top notch, very quick & generally carry the best of the Deep-Thought line. It's a great place to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Spencer
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies!

I am familiar with All Aboard. I purchased 1822 from them last week and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. I will have to check out Golden Spike though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wystan Benbow
United States
Stoneham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Blazars are a special type of active galaxy that indirectly pay for my boardgame habit
badge
Life is good!
mbmbmbmbmb
1822 is definitely a big leap from the titles you have listed. I hope you enjoy it.

GSG carries a lot more of the classic Deep Thought line...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.