Subject: Kickstarter Expansion questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The expansion has a fully updated rulebook, but the 3rd Ed core box also has an improved story book for the first campaign. It may just be clearer and not actually change anything, but is there a way to get the revised story book without buying 3rd Ed?

2. Are the 4 characters with skill cards the only ones you can play the new campaign with? Or can you play the new campaign the same way as the previous one, and not use the skill cards?

If you haven't yet, a BGG entry for the expansion and an actual news post ("Kickstarter live!") in the Grimslinger forum wouldn't be a bad idea. Spread the awareness!

I don't usually back Kickstarters (money is very tight), but I might have to this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
1. The expansion has a fully updated rulebook, but the 3rd Ed core box also has an improved story book for the first campaign. It may just be clearer and not actually change anything, but is there a way to get the revised story book without buying 3rd Ed?

2. Are the 4 characters with skill cards the only ones you can play the new campaign with? Or can you play the new campaign the same way as the previous one, and not use the skill cards?

If you haven't yet, a BGG entry for the expansion and an actual news post ("Kickstarter live!") in the Grimslinger forum wouldn't be a bad idea. Spread the awareness!

I don't usually back Kickstarters (money is very tight), but I might have to this time.

1. VIP access will have the revised story booklet (or you can PM me...). I would normally just post it online but I don't want folks reading the campaign without buying the game...spoils the fun!

2. I believe GBG made an entry, it's on my to-do list to post the KS campaign there.

3. Well, I hope you can back it for at least the xpac sometime Either way, I'm sure you'll get it eventually!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I got your second question wrong.

You can only play the new campaign as one of the 4 characters. If the Kickstarter does well enough, I hope we can add more characters, but if not, we'll just have to do that in the next xpac!

I mean, you could technically play the new tall tales stuff using whatever portrait card you wanted and mix and match skills from different grimslingers. It wouldn't thematically make sense, but it'd be interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgibson wrote:

You can only play the new campaign as one of the 4 characters. If the Kickstarter does well enough, I hope we can add more characters, but if not, we'll just have to do that in the next xpac!

I mean, you could technically play the new tall tales stuff using whatever portrait card you wanted and mix and match skills from different grimslingers. It wouldn't thematically make sense, but it'd be interesting!

I'm a little confused by this so if you could explain a little more I'd appreciate it. Can the 4 new characters be used to play the original campaign, and if so, I assume the skill cards would NOT be used? But these new skill cards factor heavily into the new campaign so they are required ?

These skill cards do NOT factor in competitive play right? The original characters and new ones can still play against each other using the new rules right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 4 characters with skill cards are actually from the original core box. They're not new, just their skill cards are. Playing the original campaign is easy with anything you want. You could literally just take a character card from another game and put it over the health, because characters in the base game are just a picture and a backstory, they have no gameplay elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrell wrote:
ssgibson wrote:

I'm a little confused by this so if you could explain a little more I'd appreciate it. Can the 4 new characters be used to play the original campaign, and if so, I assume the skill cards would NOT be used? But these new skill cards factor heavily into the new campaign so they are required ?

These skill cards do NOT factor in competitive play right? The original characters and new ones can still play against each other using the new rules right?

You can play the old campaign with the new skills and achievement/progression trackers. In fact, most people will probably want to in order to get some extra "progress points" (experience) to level up their characters.

Skill cards are definitely used in the versus mode. You can play the game without them and use archetypes instead (skill cards replace archetypes). But skills / the special resources related to them, are the only new addition to the versus mode in the xpac.

There are no new characters (by that I guess you just mean the skill cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what does this mean then, "You can only play the new campaign as one of the 4 characters"?

As opposed to what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrell wrote:
So what does this mean then, "You can only play the new campaign as one of the 4 characters"?

As opposed to what?

Nyunyo, Kipper, Luella and La Fleur are getting their own set of skills/resources and personal progression paths on the progress tracker.

So the other 6 Grimslingers that came in the core game are not. Here's a look at the WIP progress tracker:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrell wrote:
Ok thank you for clarifying and my apologies for the confusion. So I guess is what I was really getting at is are there any plans to give the other 6 grimslingers their own set of skills/resources and personal progression paths? If no, why?

This was the actual question I had asked, which he answered:

ssgibson wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.