Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: What is needed to enjoy 2p vs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon-Pierre Belanger
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi,

I've been holding buying this game for a while now because I'm quite frankly intimidated by the many expansions available.

My question is, if I was to buy one core set of the game, am I all set for a two player game. Is it enjoyable that way. Or do both players need at least one core and possibly many more expansions ?

Thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Mareg wrote:
Hi,

I've been holding buying this game for a while now because I'm quite frankly intimidated by the many expansions available.

My question is, if I was to buy one core set of the game, am I all set for a two player game. Is it enjoyable that way. Or do both players need at least one core and possibly many more expansions ?

Thanks.

For casual play, there is a lot to explore in only a single copy of the base game. You have 3 different factions vs. 4 others so that in and of itself gives a ton of variety and replayability for 2 players.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially as there are a lot of resources out there to assist with single core deck building if you need it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Valnor
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It is a game which shines when both players are familiar with each deck. The core has enough cards to add variety, without straying too far into obscurity.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Core set is a great place to get started.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if you just want to play the game with one other person (at a time), one core set is great!
The core set offers enough different cards and variety to get a lot of mileage out of it. FFG is really selling it as a board game that you can enjoy on its own.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really recommend two cores, because the deck building options out of one are very slim. But yeah you don't really need anything else unless you want to grow.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
georgeofjungle3 wrote:
I'd really recommend two cores, because the deck building options out of one are very slim. But yeah you don't really need anything else unless you want to grow.
I disagree with this quite strongly, in the sense that I think if you find the deck building too restricted in just the base box (not a given by any means), you are better off getting one of the deluxe expansions, or, even better, the upcoming Android: Netrunner – Terminal Directive next.
A second base box will net you many many redundant copies of the same cards that you have no use for, while getting an expansion will get you new cards to play around with.

I think a second base box really only makes sense if you want to build decks for tournaments that contain several copies of some of the strongest cards that are only contained in the base box once or twice.
If you play casually with friends and want more copies of these cards, just use proxies (e.g. sticky notes on some other card you're not using).

Edit: My source for this opinion is that 1.5 years into our Netrunner journey, we still only own one core box (+ lots of the expansions, because after some months of playing we enjoyed the game so much that we were super curious to discover more cards), and we have never really missed the second box.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goeshi
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great resource for building decks from the Core set only - https://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklists/find?faction=&sort=popu...

Also, to agree with pretty much everyone else - the game is still fantastic fun with just a Core set, and is all you really need to play the game. Expansions do make it much better, but they certainly aren't "needed" unless you want to start playing competitively.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just piling on to say this LCG has the best core for deckbuilding options.

Half the cards are available to you unlike the other games. Going casually about it to play with friends? At most, just get the 4 deluxe expansions to fill out the factions if you want more. You're done.

If you're playing with a crowd who follows the tournament rules and keeps up with recent releases, I'd buy core, deluxe (repeat x3), the championship decks (to maybe save on buying up to 17 packs), another core and fill out with data packs which help your desired decks. There's also a persistent rumour about a revised core which changes a few cards, so if it happens that's a required purchase.

You don't have to buy everything, and we're about 3-4 months away from the first two cycles being tournament-illegal. The core and deluxes won't rotate out, so stop somewhere around there until you're sure you want to keep going.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gladiator Posse
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
There is a war on for your mind...
badge
www.DrudgeReport.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Goeshi wrote:
Expansions do make it much better, but they certainly aren't "needed" unless you want to start playing competitively.


My core set is on the way. I've avoided this game only because I don't like LCG's so for casual play, if I limit myself to 1 or 2 expansions at most, which would go best with the Core set?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terminal Directive. Specifically designed as a 2nd buy. https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/android-netru...

After that, Deluxe Set(s) of whatever Faction(s) interest you.

If you still feel like more cards from there on, you can just start buying whatever the current cycle is.
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gladiator Posse
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
There is a war on for your mind...
badge
www.DrudgeReport.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like Terminal Directive sets up future rotations/sets. Does it add significantly to the Core Set's rules? (Or perhaps, generally speaking, all of the expansions add to the rules so it's a moot point?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gladiator_posse wrote:
Goeshi wrote:
Expansions do make it much better, but they certainly aren't "needed" unless you want to start playing competitively.


My core set is on the way. I've avoided this game only because I don't like LCG's so for casual play, if I limit myself to 1 or 2 expansions at most, which would go best with the Core set?


They are all fine additions to a single core set. Pick the factions you enjoy most.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.