Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Bruno
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

so I'm painting my miniatures for this game, and Im trying to find the best way to store them. I see a lot of solutions online where you put foam into the actual Base Game box, but that usually only fits the base game stuff. I have the base game, Suppressed Memories and Recurring Nightmares, one day I intend to buy Beyond the Threshold.

I think, because I'm getting so many games with so many minis lately, Id like to take a different approach. Basically, right now, I have the base game box filled with just the components for the game, so like the tiles and the tokens and the cards. Id like to have a separate box thats just full of the minis. I'm basically making it so I have all the normal boxes on my higher shelves of my board game shelf, but then the bottom shelf is dedicated to just boxes of minis for the games that can fit them in their boxes.

What I'm asking is, does anyone know of a good like Wargaming Minis carrier box that uses pluck foam that can fit all the minis, just the minis, from the base game and the three expansions? Id prefer this box to maybe have a carrier handle (optional) but also be a square box (non optional lol). Ive seen some Citadel boxes that have like rounded corners and I don't want that. I'm new to the world of painting and storing large amounts of minis so be gentle on me! Haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bruno
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, for Kicks and Giggles, if youd like to see some of my minis that Ive painted so far, here they are:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bruno
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something like this is what I want. In fact, this product may be what I want, but MoM2E has 81 figures with SM and RN, and the 72 holder one is the one thatd probably best fit the bigger minis. Also, the pre cut holes dont seem wide enough to hold the large bases of the minis.

https://www.amazon.com/Feldherr-Storage-miniatures-tanks-mon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Weaver
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One option is to make your own using foam core. Not sure if anyone has posted one for MoM2e on bgg yet but they are pretty easy and cheap to design/make. There are a bunch of videos on youtube showing how others have done it.

This solution may not work if you're looking for something really slick but they work well. I've made a few inserts for games in the past (Mice and Mystics, Star Wars: Rebellion, etc) and they work very well. Not sure but I know that MoM2e has a lot of extra room in the box after you remove the regular insert (typical of Fantasy Flight) so you may be able to design an insert that will also fit the expansions.

Not sure if this helps or if its what you're looking for but just my thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bruno
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats a possible route I may take, although I would still want a separate box for the minis. If thats the case, if anyone can point me to a good large Mini Box I can fit some foam stuff in to, that would also work. Id want something nice looking, kinda like in the link I posted, so not like one of those plastic bins or anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tovey
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I am looking for a similar solution. I would have directed you to the Feldherr boxes, but I see you've already come across them from your link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sum
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like you decided to keep the black bases for the monsters, so you might be interested in the go7 insert. There are 3 of them that hold everything released so far, except the two new investigators from Beyond the Threshold currently (although if/when FFG makes a big box expansion, go7 said the insert they make for it will be able to house these). There is plenty of room to store these two investigators in the inserts standing on their bases, they just are not secured to the walls (which is not a big deal honestly, it hasn't been an issue and it's only temporary).

The insert stores the miniatures on rails on the side wall by their bases, so if you don't have the original bases, it doesn't work. The insert for main box stores all the miniatures, tiles and components very nicely in removable trays. This makes the game setup take only 5-10 minutes which is very nice! Miniature storage is pretty secure, although if you don't glue the monsters to their bases, gravity will pull the bigger ones off like dark young and shoggoth. The other two inserts store the miniatures and extra tiles (with room for plenty more even with Beyond the Threshold) in a box designed to fit in the Tile Collection boxes, but this is just for aesthetics, they are an actual box and not an insert and so the flimsy Tile Collection boxes are not needed.

It's pretty expensive ($100ish for all 3 with shipping, which is basically how much the base game costs) and with how garbage these minis are, sometimes I wonder if it is even worth protecting them. But, still I really like it. Makes game setup very fast and storage is very compact and in original boxes, which is a huge plus to me. I wish they had something similar for descent
https://go7gaming.com/product/storage-solution-for-mansions-...

Also, your painting looks great! I have not started painting mine yet, I'm still working through all the Descent miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bruno
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Yeah I saw those and thought about them, but the expense is what kind of turned me off to them unfortunately. I ended up going with the Feldherr case because someone on the Amazon Answers thing mentioned if you get the 72 Figure one, just use an exacto knife to make room for the bases and alternate how they lay and it should fit them all. Fingers crossed, if this works I may use the same box for Kingdom Death and Dark Souls and Ghostbusters II haha.... so many minis... Ill be busy for a while haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How about: https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/16/16405.phtml

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bruno
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I went with the Feldherr 72 Count Case, and I found that it fit my needs exactly. Here are some pictures of what it looks like all packed away:

I put all the big and medium sized monsters on the bottom where the large Pluck Foam tray is. I wanted to keep mine attached to their bases, if you get rid of the bases they probably fit way better haha. I may just detach them from the bases at this point.

The middle row is all small beasties, minus their bases. It was here I realized the permanent bases weren't going to fit in here, so I took all of them off their bases and put the bases in the Base Edition Box. Ill just attach them when needed.

Top row is the Investigators and more Small Monsters. The Investigators I have 2 per Unit, however I believe I have enough space to make them 1 per unit if I choose.

Right now I have a lot of spare space on my bottom shelf so its laying down, but once I get all my freaggin Kickstarter stuff I'm sure that'll fill up super quick haha, then Ill stand it up vertically.

All in all Im satisfied with this, my particular desire with this was to just have one box that held my minis safely so when I paint them they don't get damaged. The carrying box it all comes in is a very flimsy cardboard however, so I wont be taking this on a plane or anything, but it does its job for "just sitting on my shelf looking good" and porting to a local friend's house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tovey
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the photos. now I think I need to pick one up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bruno
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More photos! So I bought some sticker paper on Amazon (here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DJBMLV2/ref=oh_aui_deta...)

And I made some stickers using Photoshop. Ill add those here too for those that want them. Came out good! I did spray down the stickers with a Matte Varnish because they tended to rub color off on my finders, so be warned!

and here are the sticker images. If you set them to print as "scale to media" in Photoshop (or just "fit on paper probably in any other printing application) it should come out correctly sized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.