19 Posts

Up Front» Forums » General

Subject: Looking for The Polish Never Quit variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Ratynski
msg tools
mbmbmb
Being Polish, and loving this game, was bummed to hear there was a variant but I want able to get it.

are there any places that still have it? or the artwork?

thanks

dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It was a friend and Up Front playing partner of mine that made this variant, and he's not selling it anymore, and probably not for some long foreseeable future.

Sorry...you'll have to get really lucky to get a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Years go, I got a Polish variant ... I think in the mag called valpariso(?). Anyway, I got some Poles!

Doc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't that particular Vaipa Quarterly get "lost" in the Valley Games fiasco?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jarvis
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/19590/polish-ne...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ratynski
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for letting me know. was afraid that was the case. I'll have to keep my eyes open and maybe I will get lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone posted some Polish cards on the 'geek about a year ago:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/129560/front-polish-ver-1

But they have quite a few problems:
- They are single sided cards (The rules tell you to pencil in the panic values on the back from an Excel spresdsheet--which the poster failed to provide.) So no Panic values, so not really usable.
- The artwork for all of the cards was scanned onto a single 8.5x11 sheet of paper. When you blow it up to a playable size, they'll look blocky.
- I don't know if the rules model the Polish very well: British hand & discard, Russian split actions and all cowers are Rally 1's and all Rallies +1 effect. (Low Morale/Panic, but easily rallied doesn't feel right to me to portray the bravery of Polish armies.)
- The vehicles are early war from 1939. Personnel are later and equipped with British weapons. (Not that AH had all of the changes during war the 7 base nationalities either.)

They are also NOT the The Polish Never Quit! from VAIPA, which seems to cards for 39 and when the Polish army is in exile, scenarios for these different eras, early war German vehicles, etc. Looks very interesting!

Good luck in your search!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:

Martin .... when I'm talking "years ago," I'm talking about 20 years ago. Way before the Valley Games fiasco.

I have to find some time to scan the sets, and place them here on-line. Seems like they could be of use to others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For me, the coolest thing about "The Polish Never Quit" is that it also had Jewish personality cards and you could simulate the Warsaw ghetto uprising. I thought that was awesome, especially since I'm Jewish and my grandfather survived Aushwitz.

Another good friend of mine already has this so I can play whenever I want...and I always thought I'd have time to get it eventually for myself, but I never did. Then suddenly, Mike moved out of the country early this year to fulfill his dream. I regret not buying it when I had the chance, but mostly I regret losing a really good Up Front partner.

But...it's a good excuse for me to feed my addiction....if you hesitate to buy something, it may be gone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Brian wrote:
martimer wrote:

Martin .... when I'm talking "years ago," I'm talking about 20 years ago. Way before the Valley Games fiasco.
Oh. I must have it confused with something else. Time and anger have clouded my memory...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jarvis
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Brian wrote:
martimer wrote:

I have to find some time to scan the sets, and place them here on-line. Seems like they could be of use to others.

I purchased this expansion awhile back and scanned the VAIPA issue for personal use but not the cards. Would this have moved from copyrighted to public domain yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Nepal
Lalitpur (Patan) Next to Kathmandu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If you don't need tweezers to play the game, it is not a wargame!
mb
Hi, guys. I have moved out of the country and, therefore, production is at a standstill. The VAIPA's are currently not public domain.

However, I do plan to get them published again, although it may take 6 months. They will probably be published by a company like Game Crafter. The cards and rules should be high quality. The counters will be thinner. However, they should be high quality. I am also thinking of making them bigger. I guess I am getting old. 1" counters seem easier to play with than 3/4" counters.

The price will be the same, I just won't make any money (grin). Fortunately, at this point, I don't need the extra funds like I did before. If you are like me, you will be playing the game the rest of your life. It is the only wargame that I am bringing to Nepal.

They should be out by the end of the year, although, they could be available months earlier. I will post a note when they are available.

Patience, grasshoppers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
huskerdude wrote:
Hi, guys. I have moved out of the country and, therefore, production is at a standstill. The VAIPA's are currently not public domain.

However, I do plan to get them published again, although it may take 6 months. They will probably be published by a company like Game Crafter. The cards and rules should be high quality. The counters will be thinner. However, they should be high quality. I am also thinking of making them bigger. I guess I am getting old. 1" counters seem easier to play with than 3/4" counters.

The price will be the same, I just won't make any money (grin). Fortunately, at this point, I don't need the extra funds like I did before. If you are like me, you will be playing the game the rest of your life. It is the only wargame that I am bringing to Nepal.

They should be out by the end of the year, although, they could be available months earlier. I will post a note when they are available.

Patience, grasshoppers.

I believe Wargmae Vault offers print on demand services. And given they are reprinting the original game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't hold your breath about Wargame Vault (i.e. non-AH/Hasbro variants). I contacted them probably a year ago about producing those variants I used to make. They said they'd be interested, if Hasbro, if Wizards of the Coast, if, if, if, ... and then silence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Okay, I just went through my "extras" for Up Front. What I have are The Polish Never Quit from VAIPA Issue #3. I also have Sword of the Balkans from issue #5, and then The Waffen SS from issue #10.

Am I lucky, or what? So, can someone tell me when were these published, so I know how long a go I got them? LOL.

Now, if someone could put this onto the VASSAL module, I'd be stocked!

Doc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ratynski
msg tools
mbmbmb
This would be great! thanks, and I am patient...

dave

huskerdude wrote:

Patience, grasshoppers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Nepal
Lalitpur (Patan) Next to Kathmandu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If you don't need tweezers to play the game, it is not a wargame!
mb
I have decided that I won't be publishing anymore. I am getting old (64) and I am traveling. So, I am uploading all the VAIPA variants into the file section for your enjoyment. I retain the copyright. However, you may print out whatever you need to enjoy the game, the best wargame, ever! You can click on my name to go to my profile to see what variants I have uploaded. (Remember, it takes a day or two for the file(s) to be approved after uploading.) All the VAIPA Up Front variants have been uploaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This was a very kind gesture Mike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ratynski
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, thank you. I really appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.