Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
We should take Bikini Bottom
badge
and push it somewhere else
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am not super familiar with the Pax line of games, but recently I read a review about Pax Renaissance and it sounds really interesting. Upon more research I found there is a whole line of Pax games. My question is which one is the best for me? I like complex games and don't mind long games either. What's the big difference between these two? and is there another Pax game I should be looking at?

Thanks!

PS, some of my favorite games include Food Chain Magnate, Dominant Species, Power Grid, and Advanced Civilization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
gimodude wrote:
So I am not super familiar with the Pax line of games, but recently I read a review about Pax Renaissance and it sounds really interesting. Upon more research I found there is a whole line of Pax games. My question is which one is the best for me? I like complex games and don't mind long games either. What's the big difference between these two? and is there another Pax game I should be looking at?

Thanks!

PS, some of my favorite games include Food Chain Magnate, Dominant Species, Power Grid, and Advanced Civilization.

Heh, listing any games as your favorite and trying to compare them to a Phil Eklund game is a damned near impossibility.

His games are "different", and he has a lot of quirks.

I would definitely get Pax Porfiriana to start with.

Great game!(Disclaimer: this is a biased opinion of an Eklund Convert, YMMV)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
The games are unrelated.

Pax Romana is a wargame (I've played a couple times) and Pax Renaissance seems like an economic game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gimo Barrera
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it's a weird way to phrase the question. I guess what I'm looking for is which one is better well received in the Pax line. Like is there one I should definitely avoid, and one that is a must try/have. (granted that's a very opinionated question, but just want to se people's thought on the matter).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gimo Barrera
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
Pax Romana is not in "the Pax line" of Phil Eklund games. It is entirely unrelated (It just happens to have the word Pax in it).

That line includes Pax Porfiriana, Pax Pamir, and Pax Renaissance.

I like all 3. My personal fave is Pax Pamir, as I find the graphic design easier to read, and it seems quite streamlined and more straightforward than the other two (even though it isn't). All three have very different feels, even though they share the same core mechanisms.

THIS is what I was missing, thank you!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gimodude wrote:

Thanks!

Pax Romana is not part of the "Pax" series. It is a heavy multi player CDG style war-game from GMT Games about conflict in the ancient world which takes multiple hours to play. There is a large map of the land areas adjacent to the Mediterranean Sea, cardboard counters for military units to move from point to point on that map and a deck of cards from which players draw to control the action. There are battles, sieges and numerous events.

On the other hand, the "Pax" games are the brainchild of Phil Ecklund and Sierra Madre Games. These include Pax Porfiriana, Pax Pamir and Pax Renaissance. The common feature of these games tends to be a random play deck of cards which are drawn from to create a common market of cards that players can purchase from turn to turn. As players acquire cards they can place them on the table to create their own "tableaus" which then allow certain benefits or actions. Among these cards will be a set number of "triggering" events that allow players to attempt to win the game by meeting the conditions of the trigger. There are many varied player and card interactions during each game but there is no score keeping and games tend to end suddenly through the triggering events. They also tend to be much, much shorter than something like Pax Romana.

As the Pax series has progressed it has become more like boardgames. In Porfiriana there is no board but the cards have "locations". In Pamir there is a board where tokens interact and the cards are more linked. Pax Porfiriana has a map created by map cards representing much of Europe but, at it's heart it is still more of a card game. The Pax games have some very funky rules but are typically easier to learn and play than something like Pax Romana.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
Pax Romana is not in "the Pax line" of Phil Eklund games. It is entirely unrelated (It just happens to have the word Pax in it).

That line includes Pax Porfiriana, Pax Pamir, and Pax Renaissance.

I like all 3. My personal fave is Pax Pamir, as I find the graphic design easier to read, and it seems quite streamlined and more straightforward than the other two (even though it isn't). All three have very different feels, even though they share the same core mechanisms.

Yes there is a distinction there isn't there.

Pamir looks cleaner and easier - but in my opinion, once you get it, Porfiriana is actually easier to play. It's chaotic, probably more so than the other two (although I've only played Ren solo handed so probably shouldn't comment). To me that's a good thing. But if you are going to be playing with people who enjoy a bit more negotiation/politics, with more in depth spatial features, maybe one of the others is the go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the best solution for which to get is deciding which setting interests you the most. Each of the Pax games works at capturing the feel of the period/conflict, with the actual 'game' aspect being second. If you don't enjoy what it's about you'll probably not like the games themselves.

As a history wonk, I own all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.