Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all hope everyone is well.

So i am on the hunt for a fantasy skirmish game (may even entertain sci fi but hopefully fantasy). that has robust and dynamic scenarios. I am avoiding games where it is just go in the middle and kill.

Here is a list of games i am going to try researching and hoping to get some opinions. Maybe even a list of what they feel would offer the most interesting scenarios.

Also preferably something kind of competitive, don't mind rules being crunchy but leaning towards competitiveness and less swingy mechanisms (looking at you frostgrave!)

SAGA
(Advanced) Song of blades and heroes
7th voyage
Warmachine/Hordes
Age of Sigmar
Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish
Kings of War (i think too big scale probably for skirmish)
Dragon Rampant
Frostgrave

open to suggestions! thanks everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you have warmachine/hordes on there you may be interested in Malifaux as well. But on a purely selfish note if you are looking at getting into warmachine I have a pretty good sized Cryx army with a fair bit of extras that I'm looking to part with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorites are Song of Blades and Heroes and Dragon Rampant. There are a lot of scenarios available for Song of Blades and Heroes, each book has a few and a fan has converted lots of scenarios from other games to use with Song of Blades and Heroes.

It is usually pretty easy to make new scenarios for a game, so whichever game you like more can be added to fairly easily.

What do you have in mind when you say you want a competitive game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
There is very little houseruling necessary to make Frostgrave less swingy...

edit: LOVE saga but it's more army level than skirmish imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shizuka Lana
msg tools
mbmb
Mythic Battles: Pantheon, it is still possible to late pledge this game. With the Compendium there are many scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard good thing about the Otherworld skirmish set. There is a pretty good review on a blog if you google for it.

Frostgrave is the go to for most people now for fantasy skirmish. Lots of variety and published support.

Basically, anything that can use generic figures will let you play with multiple rulesets.

4Ground, the mdf terrain makers, apparently have a new skirmish game coming, with a kickstarter in June. Legends of Fabled Realms. It will be pretty dynamic with alternating activations and reactions.

Saga is excellent and a small warband is not that pricey, particularly if you go with some of the plastics boxes available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope you don't mind if I point you to my own system:

The rules are free and the game can be played with as few as 1 miniature per player (and thus with more players) and allows a maximum of 4 miniatures per side - so you will have at best 8 miniatures on the table.
Also, you may choose whichever miniature you like.

It is played with fantasy- and/or pirate miniatures only.
However, the scenarios are somewhat "modern", since you get stuff like "capture the flag" or "bombing run" or even a "snoball fight".

Don't let yourself get repelled by the almost 100 pages of rules: The first part is an easily understandable tutorial, teaching you the core rules. Then come the rules a bit more detailed and about half of the book covers skills as well as scenarios.

With those rules you get a lot to tinker with, so the replayability is high, since you will always want to try out different options

Big plus: I'm always around, in case any questions come up!

Happy slaughtering and kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordheim: City of the Damned

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon Rampant is played at my local club and is the most dynamic on the list in terms of scenarios to the best of my knowledge,
It can be a little swingy though if you have bad activation rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rogue Stars definitely qualifies. The scenario is randomly generated and it has a heavy RPG feel to the game. Lots of rule complexity though. It's more like a sci-fi RPG with minis than a dedicated miniatures game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleLore (Second Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karadek wrote:
Rogue Stars definitely qualifies. The scenario is randomly generated and it has a heavy RPG feel to the game. Lots of rule complexity though. It's more like a sci-fi RPG with minis than a dedicated miniatures game.

i heard rogue stars is the sci fi equivalent of frostgrave. Pretty swingy no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:
Karadek wrote:

i heard rogue stars is the sci fi equivalent of frostgrave. Pretty swingy no?

The only real similarities is that they are from the same publisher and both use primarily 20 sided dice. They are different rules from a different author.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
You might want to check out 'Relicblade'. It's a one man show but is really professionally done. He just came out with an expansion that enables warband advancement and has 6 or so scenarios. It's a very low model count skirmish wargame and has ways you can customize each member of your warband before the battle using cards. The mechanics are pretty solid, though more on the plain side. It's a good, 'beginner miniatures game' that has less swingy/boring combat than Frostgrave, plus the activation system is more interesting since it's action point based.

Bushido and Freebooter's Fate are a couple more with interesting mechanics.

In Bushido you have resource management via a spendable resource pool and hidden choice, opposed, simultaneous dice rolling for combat. Essentially the attacker and defender split their pool of dice into attack dice and defending dice. It's pretty nifty. Activation is alternating activation which isn't anything new but every unit can activate twice during a round and when it's combined with an exhaustion mechanic the game has it makes the choice more interesting than a straight 'what unit do I want to activate next'.

Freebooter's Fate is alternating activation and pretty normal in most respects except it has a really great combat mechanic in the guise of hidden, simultaneous card selection. The attacker chooses a body part to attack and the defender chooses a body part to defend. If the cards match the hit is discounted. Sometimes the attacker gets to choose multiple cards and sometimes the defender gets to choose an equal, less than, or more than amount of cards. The cherry on top is that each location can be critically wounded which causes different negative status affects on the defending character. All that added together creates a really great game of bluffing and brinksmanship.

Out of the games you mentioned I think the rules that are most interesting is SAGA (for the resource management/dice rolling bit...though everything else is pretty plain) and Song of Blade and Heroes (for the activation system).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Castro
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timlillig wrote:
My favorites are Song of Blades and Heroes and Dragon Rampant. There are a lot of scenarios available for Song of Blades and Heroes, each book has a few and a fan has converted lots of scenarios from other games to use with Song of Blades and Heroes.

It is usually pretty easy to make new scenarios for a game, so whichever game you like more can be added to fairly easily.

What do you have in mind when you say you want a competitive game?

For some reason I can't seem to get any of the drop box links to work on the site. Sadness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Time of Legends: Joan of Arc

The pledge manager hasn't gone out yet and when it does they are opening it to late backers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
The Walking Dead: All Out War has quite a few scenarios. There are a mix of head to head and co-op/solo if you get the expansions. And it is very easy to design you own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:

This! Great game but get it while you can!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.